308 greif. Help/opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 308 greif. Help/opinions

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 9:11 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:The issue you are having with factory 150’s is jump distance from the lands.
In 308 accuracy is best at around 30 thousands off the lands.
165 hit around 45 from factory 150 believe it or not can be 100 or more.
This jump kills accuracy.

I have bullet pulled factory 150 and re seated them to 30 thou. Group 1/2”.

Thanks southwest varminter
Feeling positive about trying 165 grain projectiles.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

It is optimal to jam a bullet but there are reasons not to do this such as, the round will not fit in the magizene, you cannot reach the lands or you don't have enough of the bullet supported by the neck. I would not jam a hunting bullet because it may stay stuck in the lands when you eject an unfired round.

If you are going up to 165 why not 180 or 200?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It is optimal to jam a bullet but there are reasons not to do this such as, the round will not fit in the magizene, you cannot reach the lands or you don't have enough of the bullet supported by the neck. I would not jam a hunting bullet because it may stay stuck in the lands when you eject an unfired round.

If you are going up to 165 why not 180 or 200?

Well I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm

To get a Browning to shoot one inch groups is quite an achievement. If the 130 work then I would continue to use them.

If you want to try a heavier pill, by all means give them a try. The better Sectional Density will definitely be helpful in a hunting situation. If I was trying a 180 I would do a ladder test with 2208 until I could not fit anymore powder into the case (without heavily compressing the powder). You will find a load very close to the max powder load. Worry about the Coal after you have the powder charge sorted.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 25 Dec 2018, 5:56 am

SCJ429 wrote:To get a Browning to shoot one inch groups is quite an achievement. If the 130 work then I would continue to use them.

If you want to try a heavier pill, by all means give them a try. The better Sectional Density will definitely be helpful in a hunting situation. If I was trying a 180 I would do a ladder test with 2208 until I could not fit anymore powder into the case (without heavily compressing the powder). You will find a load very close to the max powder load. Worry about the Coal after you have the powder charge sorted.

Hi mate, I'm only using factory loads, long way to go before a start reloading.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

Sorry Harry, then none of that applies.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 25 Dec 2018, 10:46 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Sorry Harry, then none of that applies.

Thanks anyhow à
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Dec 2018, 3:00 pm

SCJ429 wrote:If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.

Will definitely be the next ammo I try thru the rifle.
Cheers
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 3:03 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:If you wanted to try a 165 then ADI Australian Outback makes loaded rounds using 165 grain Sierra Game Kings. These projectiles work well on larger game and shoot very well. Might be worth trying in your Browning.

Cheers

they shoot very well in my rifle :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Dec 2018, 3:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Cheers

they shoot very well in my rifle :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

If these don't do any good in this 1:12 barrel, probably no point in trying the 180 grain??
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles