Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Post by Supaduke » 25 Dec 2018, 9:11 am

I have two Howas. Excellent rifles for the money, plenty of aftermarket stock options and accessories. A .308 or 30-06 Howa would be a more than capable deer rifle with respectable results at the range. I haven't owned the other ones you mentioned so I can't comment.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 9:12 am

straightshooter wrote:
bigrich wrote:
unfortunately, a lot of guns are built to a budget not qaulity these days . ya get what ya pay for. pretty rude of the importer not backing what he's selling but :evil:

:drinks: :thumbsup:

I've got some news for you.
All guns are built to a budget!
It's just that some budgets are bigger than other budgets.

which brings us back to the other part of that statement "ya get what ya pay for " JMHO out of the posters choices, i still put howa as my choice in a earlier post anyway :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Dec 2018, 9:25 am

bigrich wrote:
straightshooter wrote:
bigrich wrote:
unfortunately, a lot of guns are built to a budget not qaulity these days . ya get what ya pay for. pretty rude of the importer not backing what he's selling but :evil:

I've got some news for you.
All guns are built to a budget!
It's just that some budgets are bigger than other budgets.

which brings us back to the other part of that statement "ya get what ya pay for " JMHO out of the posters choices, i still put howa as my choice in a earlier post anyway :drinks: :thumbsup:

Yeah sometimes I wonder about that statement, I've got a $1400 Ruger Hawkeye and honestly the Howa's s**t all over it for smoothness and most importantly accuracy, and I got 2 Howas for the price of the Ruger! :unknown: Sometimes I think marketing is what makes some things seem like they are somehow worth more than they perhaps should be, not always but sometimes. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 25 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah sometimes I wonder about that statement, I've got a $1400 Ruger Hawkeye and honestly the Howa's s**t all over it for smoothness and most importantly accuracy, and I got 2 Howas for the price of the Ruger! :unknown: Sometimes I think marketing is what makes some things seem like they are somehow worth more than they perhaps should be, not always but sometimes. :drinks:

Bloody oath...!!
Like the good ol Jonnie Red & Black...Marketing made them what they are...Pretty boxes :thumbsup: ...& always my last choice when it comes to drinking a mixer...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 25 Dec 2018, 9:47 am

Yep you do get what you pay for. I have never owned a Howa however it would be hard to ignore all the positivity they receive on this forum. Sounds like a great bit of kit considering its price tag.
Nevertheless, I have owned a fair few different brands of rifle, Winchester, Savage, Brno, CZ, Lithgow, Tikka, Miroku, and Sako. The Sako is the most expensive and is the best rifle I own in the way of accuracy, trigger, and action, all spot on straight from the box. Exactly what you would expect given the price you pay. In my eyes though totally worth the extra dollars.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 9:50 am

I agree 1000% with this (that you don’t necessarily get what you pay for anymore...) - it used to be the case without doubt, but reduced labour costs now mean many, many large manufacturers go offshore...further meaning many, many items are built at the same place - ie, I used to be a huge believer in Sony, Samsung products (at a much higher price point than competitors) but learnt that their parts are built in the same place as AWA, hisense - final assembly is elsewhere but the “engines” - the same. So if I don’t have an issue with fit / refinement of a hisense, why shouldn’t I buy one of their tvs with 4 x the warranty...the two same spec tvs next to each other - exactly the same bar a name and some plastic - but with less warranty.
Whilst this is a main stream example - it is most certainly trickling down to other consumer goods. Hyundai used to be a budget brand but now - competing with premium makes.
Scopes? - nope, not quite there in my opinion but the gap will close and in maybe 3-5 years you will be paying for the name over actual optical function. Rifles $1000 and under? If you woke up with 1000 credit at LGS, had to buy a centrefire - would there be a clear winner? I think there would be 10 opinions...which ultimately means = similar performance.
Last edited by TassieTiger on 25 Dec 2018, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 25 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

I have a CZ 308 which was under $900 to buy, after working up some good hand loads it is as accurate as the Sako, just not as refined or nice to shoot.
In saying that it is just my scrub rifle for rolling a few oinkers so it does the job nicely.
It is nice to short a quality rifle at times though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 25 Dec 2018, 10:16 am

budget gun and no extras here in the states and they will shoot well are the savage axis they are the lowest priced gun on the market its like a ugly girl it will do every thing you want it just wont look good doing it.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 25 Dec 2018, 10:21 am

I have seen the Savage axis in the shops but not looked at them closely. I used to have an old savage 110 in 22-250.
Was average at best. Be interested in hearing how the new savages shoot.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by albat » 25 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

https://www.outdoorlife.com/top-new-hun ... ifles-2018 . I have tikka and howa , both are excellent as others here have said , but the mauser m18 that sits between the tikka and howa in price is going to be a gem i reckon
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 11:10 am

JimTom wrote:Yep you do get what you pay for. I have never owned a Howa however it would be hard to ignore all the positivity they receive on this forum. Sounds like a great bit of kit considering its price tag.
Nevertheless, I have owned a fair few different brands of rifle, Winchester, Savage, Brno, CZ, Lithgow, Tikka, Miroku, and Sako. The Sako is the most expensive and is the best rifle I own in the way of accuracy, trigger, and action, all spot on straight from the box. Exactly what you would expect given the price you pay. In my eyes though totally worth the extra dollars.

yeh well, this is my thoughts on things. there are some great budget rifles on the market , and yes, in these modern times due to labour costs, some cheaper rifles outperform more expensive ones . whatever fits and what your comfortable with is the bottom line i guess. firearm makers are like car makers, they've all had some good products, and some not so good. i'm of the opinion i'd rather have less guns , but of the best qaulity that i can afford. i mostly buy second hand, and try to sort through what's what with all the different makes and models and judge each individual rifle on it's own merits and condition. it's the only way i could afford the A7 308 sako i own now, and IMHO it's a far better rifle than the 308 ruger i traded, for my uses and tastes . judging by the responses this topic is as controversial as the old "what's better, ford or holden ?" these days i have a toyota deisel 4x4 ;) back to the original topic, the howa would be my pick out of the rifles listed as choices

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 11:28 am

bigrich wrote:
JimTom wrote:Yep you do get what you pay for. I have never owned a Howa however it would be hard to ignore all the positivity they receive on this forum. Sounds like a great bit of kit considering its price tag.

yeh well, this is my thoughts on things. there are some great budget rifles on the market , and yes, in these modern times due to labour costs, some cheaper rifles outperform more expensive ones . whatever fits and what your comfortable with is the bottom line i guess. firearm makers are like car makers, they've all had some good products, and some not so good. i'm of the opinion i'd rather have less guns , but of the best qaulity that i can afford. i mostly buy second hand, and try to sort through what's what with all the different makes and models and judge each individual rifle on it's own merits and condition. it's the only way i could afford the A7 308 sako i own now, and IMHO it's a far better rifle than the 308 ruger i traded, for my uses and tastes . judging by the responses this topic is as controversial as the old "what's better, ford or holden ?" these days i have a toyota deisel 4x4 ;) back to the original topic, the howa would be my pick out of the rifles listed as choices

Sorry to op - this is going a little off topic...Not saying this is you jimtom - i've shot a couple of sako's and they are mighty fine rifles.

But Is there a placebo effect in play due to what people pay for certain things ? Ie - I know my sako is better because it cost more of my hard earned, therefore it has to be better and even if its not - well, its not for me to tell people it isnt better because then i might feel in-different about it...? I know several people whom could not bring themselves to say a car, a bike, a scope, similar was inferior to a cheaper product - because of the amount they paid...psychology is a funny thing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

yeah tas, the psychcology of the individual on their choices is a interesting thing. me, i like traditional stuff walnut stocks and blued metal . they can need more looking after, but i'm happy to do it. i've always been lukewarm to stainless , synthetic stuff. it's more durable and not affected by weather i know. but that's my psychology i guess. my sako stainless synthetic A7 is winning me over but lightweight, slick bolt , awesome trigger and super accurate. a mate of mine has S/S synthetic tikka t3's, they get chucked around his ute, and reckons the only time he's cleaned his 223, is when he's washed mud off it in a creek ! durability wise, ya can't fault that . according to my local barrel guy, the blued chromemoly barrels last a bit longer than stainless . a choice that albat brought up, the mauser m18 could be interesting. haven't heard anything about them yet . cheers and merry xmas

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 12:47 pm

Marketing vs psychology vs experience vs tradition...makes for interesting conversation.
The thing with marketing as well is - if it’s truly successful, then you get more of that item into the marketplace and it becomes self perpetuating ie tikka rifles at the moment. Tikka marketing depaRtment deserve gold, they have marketed their T3’s very well...and they have saturated the market with adverts more than any other brand. So many are now out there and “working to their design brief” that it’s the first comment often mentioned around a campfire when taking great rifles for budget conscience - but reality is a little different as we all know...they have their issues just like any other brand.
It does fascinate me to a degree how we as consumers are manipulated by advertisers and then our purchases end up owning us...it’s bloody weird.

And merry Xmas to you good sir.
Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 1:08 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Marketing vs psychology vs experience vs tradition...makes for interesting conversation.
The thing with marketing as well is - if it’s truly successful, then you get more of that item into the marketplace and it becomes self perpetuating ie tikka rifles at the moment. Tikka marketing depaRtment deserve gold, they have marketed their T3’s very well...and they have saturated the market with adverts more than any other brand. So many are now out there and “working to their design brief” that it’s the first comment often mentioned around a campfire when taking great rifles for budget conscience - but reality is a little different as we all know...they have their issues just like any other brand.
It does fascinate me to a degree how we as consumers are manipulated by advertisers and then our purchases end up owning us...it’s bloody weird.

Cheers.

i wouldn't say weird , i'd call it human :D tikkas perform though. i have seen many 223 t3's with the 1-9 twist ? , that shoot one hole groups with off the shelf aussie outback ammo. come across a guy a while ago who had a tikka in 6.5x55 that was shooting amazing groups at 200. for the money, they ARE the best buy on the market IMHO . but i don't own one :lol: . i've shot my mates ones a lot ,and they perform , but it just doesn't "fit" for me. myself, i love model 70 winchesters. every one i've owned has been solid and accurate, a little polishing of the trigger sear and they have a great trigger as well :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2018, 6:19 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Marketing vs psychology vs experience vs tradition...makes for interesting conversation.

Cheers.

It is not the marketing that deserves a gold medal at Tikka or Sako but their barrel makers. So many people get good results from their Tikkas and the word gets around. I bought a Tikka because of the performance of a friends T3 in 22/250, this was the determining factor not any amount of advertising.

You had a problem with your Steyr and shared it with the forum. This dented your confidence in this brand. If they never get this rifle shooting to your satisfaction would you ever buy another one?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 6:54 pm

Yes, I would buy another steyr - but only because of my other 223 steyr that has proven to me that they can make a fine shooting rifle.
If this 06 had have been my first steyr, yes, my confidence would have been slain - I agree. That being said - my complaints with the steyr, match very closely what another member is encountering with his light weight tikka 308...yet - he has chosen to accept that rifles accuracy and not advertise its shortcomings...another colleague of mine is currently trying to get a 270 tikka shooting better than 3 Moa and struggling worse than I ever was...so, should a person consider an alternate brand to both tikka and steyr as a result...
As a returning shooter after many many years away, before knowing anyone within the sport or what was going on in shooting forums or even attending a lgs - the first rifle brand that caught my attention was tikka...full page magazine spreads, huge MOA guarantee posters at gun shops, decals everywhere - got me asking the question about the brand - and yes, I quickly learned that they are held in high regard...it was predominantly reason that I bought one. Chicken or egg?

Would be an interesting poll for the forum...each member is given $2k to go shopping for a new deer rifle package. Vote for 1 of 10 packages ranging from westherby, howa, tikka, Mauser, axis, steyr, Remington, Winchester etc plus scope...would tikka be a clear winner with a $500 scope or would the Mauser m18 be a winner with a $900 scope or would the savage be a winner with a $1400 scope and 2 slabs of cascade draught?....someone smarter than me should set it up ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Goose#24 » 25 Dec 2018, 7:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:I don’t know how large the deer in tassie are, but a good second hand Swede 6.5 Mauser isn’t expensive ,can be very accurate and will do the job

Their fallow so easy to tip over. :D

maybe for the poster a second hand swede 6.5 would be good, or a second hand 243 of some description . either way with a decent scope both could be had for under a grand . not trying to be a smart @ss to the OP, but .30 seems a bit heavy for deer that size . JMHO :thumbsup:

There are plenty of cheap options out there, as for cal yeah I think a 243 would suit nicely. :drinks:

Or he could try some of the 110gn offerings out there to suit the 308, that might be a more versatile offering in the end (do they have projectile weight requirements in tas for Deer?) :drinks:

Sorry fellas I didnt check the forum for a little bit, it the reason I'm after a .30 cal is I'll do a couple of vic sambar trips, if I was only knocking fallow in tas I'd use a 243, cheers for the input though!
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Dec 2018, 8:54 pm

Tassie, Feel free to send me $2,000 and let me know what type of rifle you want me to test. I can save you the money on a Tikka 223, I know they can shoot under quarter inch at 100 and under an inch at 300.

Goose, the 300 WSM is a pretty capable case for all sorts of things.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 9:12 pm

geez goose, sambar ? yeh, well, i should think 30-06 as a starting point. 30 cal, known for it's load flexability and shoots the heavier projectiles better than a 308. load her up with a 180- 200 grain nosler partition and you would be good to go i reckon. load down to a lighter quicker expanding slug for the smaller deer in tassie. maybe some others on here have a different view on it, but the 30-06 would be a great choice

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2018, 9:35 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Yes, I would buy another steyr - but only because of my other 223 steyr that has proven to me that they can make a fine shooting rifle.
If this 06 had have been my first steyr, yes, my confidence would have been slain - I agree. That being said - my complaints with the steyr, match very closely what another member is encountering with his light weight tikka 308...yet - he has chosen to accept that rifles accuracy and not advertise its shortcomings...another colleague of mine is currently trying to get a 270 tikka shooting better than 3 Moa and struggling worse than I ever was...so, should a person consider an alternate brand to both tikka and steyr as a result...
As a returning shooter after many many years away, before knowing anyone within the sport or what was going on in shooting forums or even attending a lgs - the first rifle brand that caught my attention was tikka...full page magazine spreads, huge MOA guarantee posters at gun shops, decals everywhere - got me asking the question about the brand - and yes, I quickly learned that they are held in high regard...it was predominantly reason that I bought one. Chicken or egg?

Would be an interesting poll for the forum...each member is given $2k to go shopping for a new deer rifle package. Vote for 1 of 10 packages ranging from westherby, howa, tikka, Mauser, axis, steyr, Remington, Winchester etc plus scope...would tikka be a clear winner with a $500 scope or would the Mauser m18 be a winner with a $900 scope or would the savage be a winner with a $1400 scope and 2 slabs of cascade draught?....someone smarter than me should set it up ?

interesting idea on the $2k deer rifle package , how would you assess it though ? not being a smart @ss or anything , i wouldn't mind being a gun writer and getting to do stuff like this though :) . i already got my ultimate deer rifle but (ultimate to me anyway :D ) i bought a controlled round feed , madco barreled model 70 winchester second hand in 6.5 swede and topped it off with a leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 scope what it owes me is 2k and it shoots awesome . there's some great stuff out there second hand, and it can be a gamble , but i will never part with this rifle. You can get the sako A7 blued/synthetic for $1565 , so enough change for a reasonable scope out of $2k. i have a stainless one and it's a real shooter ,and the sako have a couple of features that i like over a tikka, easy top loading , steel mag lips , sako 85 trigger and safety ,and drilled for weaver mounts

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Dec 2018, 9:58 pm

Yeah I reckon in the old days "what you paid for you got was probably right" but this day and age things have caught up well and truly in regards to a lot of things. I've spend $1500 + on a Tikka and $1800 on a 2nd hand Sako and I can honestly say it won't ever happen again, I've gotten better results accuracy wise out of my cheap arse Howas FFS! yes they aren't as well finished but FMD seriously who cares if they aren't as flash, the bloody things shoot real well for me compared to they more expensive and fancied and over hyped ones I've purchased these things are a breeze to get to shoot well and for the $$ they have shot amazingly "Out of the Box" and still do - sadly my experience of "What you pay for you get" hasn't come close to what it should have been, far from it infact and quite the opposite (make of that what you will but there seems to be a few others who have had similar experiences regarding what they spend in relation to the results they have achieved so far, not only in relations to rifles but scopes and all manner of firearms related things.

The "Hype and salesmanship doesn't always add up to a great out come despite what does are outlayed. :drinks: And that is a fact backed up by a friend who also works in a well known gunshop wo has worked there many years - make of that what you will! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goose#24 » 26 Dec 2018, 5:38 am

bigrich wrote:geez goose, sambar ? yeh, well, i should think 30-06 as a starting point. 30 cal, known for it's load flexability and shoots the heavier projectiles better than a 308. load her up with a 180- 200 grain nosler partition and you would be good to go i reckon. load down to a lighter quicker expanding slug for the smaller deer in tassie. maybe some others on here have a different view on it, but the 30-06 would be a great choice

Yeah that's what I was thinking, think I may just have to get a second job and just buy one of everything suggested to settle it easily! Think that may be a problem solver. :D :D :drinks:
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Dec 2018, 6:46 am

30-06. 270. 308.. All of them will do the job but I'd try and go 30-06.

Used Marlin XL7.. paid $575 & $520 new. Got 2 both shoot just under moa with hand loads..
You should pick one up for under $500
Last edited by Oldbloke on 26 Dec 2018, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 6:51 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah I reckon in the old days "what you paid for you got was probably right" but this day and age things have caught up well and truly in regards to a lot of things. I've spend $1500 + on a Tikka and $1800 on a 2nd hand Sako and I can honestly say it won't ever happen again, I've gotten better results accuracy wise out of my cheap arse Howas FFS! yes they aren't as well finished but FMD seriously who cares if they aren't as flash, the bloody things shoot real well for me compared to they more expensive and fancied and over hyped ones I've purchased these things are a breeze to get to shoot well and for the $$ they have shot amazingly "Out of the Box" and still do - sadly my experience of "What you pay for you get" hasn't come close to what it should have been, far from it infact and quite the opposite (make of that what you will but there seems to be a few others who have had similar experiences regarding what they spend in relation to the results they have achieved so far, not only in relations to rifles but scopes and all manner of firearms related things.

The "Hype and salesmanship doesn't always add up to a great out come despite what does are outlayed. :drinks: And that is a fact backed up by a friend who also works in a well known gunshop wo has worked there many years - make of that what you will! :drinks:

sorry to hear you haven't had a good run with some stuff scott, i had a second hand lemon myself, i bought a brno 465 22 hornet. a proper early one not a fox. it had been rebarreled and shot like crap. i was gutted , wasn't going to throw any more money at it and moved it on. i mostly buy second hand stuff like my model 70 winchesters, cause stuff made in the 70's and early 80's was better made IMHO. get my local smith to freshen them if they need it and i'm good to go. i've only bought one new rifle, a weihrauch 22lr. beutifully finished qaulity gun, awesome trigger. accuracy wise, average for what it cost. i traded it on a second hand cz 452 american that was lighter and more accurate. the second hand sako i have is the most accurate rifle i have, i got real lucky. if the howa's are doing it for ya that's all that matters hey ? corporate globalism, returns for the company share holders are more important than a good product for the customer these days it would seem . these are some of my experiences, ya gotta sort the good from the bad whether it's new or secondhand . one thing i will spend good dollars on are leupold scopes. never had a complaint about any, great lense clarity, and a lifetime garuntee, even if your not the original purchaser FFS !

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 7:03 am

bigrich wrote:interesting idea on the $2k deer rifle package , how would you assess it though ?

The parameters for the polling would be a realistic budget for rifle and scope - the budget would have to be capped at an amount that precludes someone from say buying a high end rifle and $100 scope...so maybe $1500 is a better number to preclude sako, etc.

You’d have to offer up a decent amount of “rifle/scope packages” for ppl to choose from and calibre would be irrelevant.
If you could get 20-30 voters then you’d start to see a trend of favoured rifle combinations for a given discipline.
Your not going to please everyone and some ppl will want various weird scopes / set ups but if you match mainstream rifles to mainstream scopes you capture the majority of peeps opinions.
I don’t think it would be as clear cut as ppl might think eg ppl would have to choose only their fav combo out of...howa with a Leopold 6-18 vs a tikka with a Bushnell 3/9 vs a steyr with a red field 4/18 vs a savage with a vortex 4/12 and so on...total value new has to be 1500 or under.
On other forums you could set up a poll but I’m on a phone whilst pc gets sorted so not sure if it’s an option here at present.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 7:06 am

Goose#24 wrote:Yeah that's what I was thinking, think I may just have to get a second job and just buy one of everything suggested to settle it easily! Think that may be a problem solver. :D :D :drinks:

:lol: :lol: :lol: i've thought about that. buy one of everything, shoot them all and keep the one that "fits" :D i don't think i've heard of any rifle makers that haven't had a lemon sneak through now and then. even sako . when i was a young fella 30 years ago, there were less choices which made it easier . scopes ,rifles , reloading gear, so much choice these days . so many opinions . shame there aren't gunshops where you can go "test drive" a rifle at a range before you buy it. find yourself a older shooters sorted out 30-06 '98 mauser ,wichester or rem 700 maybe . i know a fella who bought a 303 recently second hand for a good price of a old fella and it's a great shooter. just a thought, good luck , let us know how ya go .

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 7:11 am

TassieTiger wrote:The parameters for the polling would be a realistic budget for rifle and scope - the budget would have to be capped at an amount that precludes someone from say buying a high end rifle and $100 scope...so maybe $1500 is a better number to preclude sako, etc.

You’d have to offer up a decent amount of “rifle/scope packages” for ppl to choose from and calibre would be irrelevant.
If you could get 20-30 voters then you’d start to see a trend of favoured rifle combinations for a given discipline.
Your not going to please everyone and some ppl will want various weird scopes / set ups but if you match mainstream rifles to mainstream scopes you capture the majority of peeps opinions.
I don’t think it would be as clear cut as ppl might think eg ppl would have to choose only their fav combo out of...howa with a Leopold 6-18 vs a tikka with a Bushnell 3/9 vs a steyr with a red field 4/18 vs a savage with a vortex 4/12 and so on...total value new has to be 1500 or under.
On other forums you could set up a poll but I’m on a phone whilst pc gets sorted so not sure if it’s an option here at present.

intersting tas, if someone wants to set it up i'll play :D i want a 300 win mag with a red dot , and a 45-70 marlin with a 6-20x50 :lol: :lol: :lol:
nah, seriously i think it would be fun

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 7:20 am

bigrich wrote:sorry to hear you haven't had a good run with some stuff scott

Yeah she's a lottery at times when it comes to firearms whether they be new or 2nd hand. I think the reason I like the Howa's so much is I've always got good results from them, they just seem to shoot real well compared to the more fancied and highly thought of brands I own and have left me wondering why the hell did I pay so much and go so little in return (accuracy wise) I loved the feel of that little Sako it was beautiful to shoulder etc, but it was ordinary in the accuracy department and honestly I just could not be bothered stuffing around with trying to get it too shoot in the end, nothing I tried seemed to make bugger all difference and I just lost interest in stuffing around with it so sold it and used that money to buy the Tikka which is a nice rifle to handle etc (lite) but again nothing special in the accuracy department but good enough for it's intended use and I'm sure with some reloads it will improve in the accuracy department too (so long as the first shots on the money it really doesn't matter much, to be honest).

As for the glass, I would have thought there would have been a big difference between the cheaper stuff I own and some of the top euro glass I'd compared them too and honestly I was very surprised to see SFA in reality, I would have thought there were glaring obvious differences but there really wasn't, maybe a light improvement in clarity etc but I just honestly couldn't see the difference in the massive $$ diff to really see what all the fuss was about, to be honest. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by straightshooter » 26 Dec 2018, 7:20 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah sometimes I wonder about that statement, I've got a $1400 Ruger Hawkeye and honestly the Howa's s**t all over it for smoothness and most importantly accuracy, and I got 2 Howas for the price of the Ruger! :unknown: Sometimes I think marketing is what makes some things seem like they are somehow worth more than they perhaps should be, not always but sometimes. :drinks:

What seems to elude peoples general consciousness is that it's not just the budget for actual production of the physical product. It's also the share of the sale price that goes to the margins for each of the middlemen in the supply chain. As well as the size of the advertising budget, there is the largesse extended to reviewers and influencers and the on the quiet retainers to internet and forum spruikers.
This is all an additional cost that makes no physical contribution to quality of any attribute that the firearm may have and I will give you one guess who actually pays for it.

Now please allow me to rearrange your last statement:
Marketing is what makes some things seem like they are somehow worth more than they perhaps should be, not always but generally so.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles