Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 11:00 am

I found the Lithgows to be heavy suckers (17hmr lam stock version) I was surprised just how heavy it was actually, I wasn't expecting it to be that heavy. Nicely made rifles all the same but can't say I'd sell the little Lam Stocked Savage or the Brno Mod2 to own one. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2018, 11:07 am

Yeah they are a little weighty mate. I had a BRNO mod 2 which foolishly parted with some time ago and have since replaced with the Lithgow. Wish I had kept the BRNO to be honest mate. Still the Lithgow is just fine.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 11:11 am

JimTom wrote:Yeah they are a little weighty mate. I had a BRNO mod 2 which foolishly parted with some time ago and have since replaced with the Lithgow. Wish I had kept the BRNO to be honest mate. Still the Lithgow is just fine.

Yeah the Lithgow is a well put together outfit, for me at my stage of life I want lighter rifles and the little Lithgow isn't that sadly. They do some beautiful machining work at the factory going by what I've seen. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goose#24 » 26 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

Mate - I recently broke a weatherby vanguard in 06 - well, the cliff broke it...gravity helped. Until then it was shooting beautifully - moa no problem. It was light enough to walk around with, recoiled like a itch, was a little loose with bolt and action, but never affected performance- I’d buy another.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 1:04 pm

Goose#24 wrote:Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?

good rifle by all accounts. might be a bit light on projectile weight for sambar ? :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

Goose#24 wrote:Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?

Yeah that would work nicely on the Fallow :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goose#24 » 26 Dec 2018, 5:18 pm

bigrich wrote:

good rifle by all accounts. might be a bit light on projectile weight for sambar ? :unknown:

Minimum is 130gr I think? So it will do it but it doesnt leave a lot of room for error and wont leave as much ammo selection? I'd rather an 06 or 308 as it's not the min cal. :unknown:
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Dec 2018, 8:40 pm

You can load it with 150gr Will be fine then for sambar
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Dec 2018, 3:19 am

As someone else said, a 270 is wannabe 308 with all the recoil and noise.... but not the result
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2018, 6:37 am

The 270, 308, & 30-06 have all been very popular deer rounds for a reason. .........
They all work. 303 was used to good effect for many years.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2018, 7:16 am

Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 12:31 pm

bigrich wrote:Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

So true, soon we will need Howitzers with 5kg projectiles to down rabbits at the rate people are getting more and more stupid.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

So true, soon we will need Howitzers with 5kg projectiles to down rabbits at the rate people are getting more and more stupid.

i remember reading eskimo's cull polar bears with 222's :wtf: . that's balls mate ! all head shot's , but man , ya wouldn't want to miss. still, it's probably safer than a spear :D i'e bought and sold a few rifles to get a feel on what "fits" me , the few i have now i practice with more, that whole "beware the one gun man, because he knows his rifle" is very true. shot placement is 90% of the job . my 22lr, 222 and 6.5x55 are all i really need for what i hunt , the upper end of game being deer or pigs . i envy you fellas who live rural and get to shoot when ya got the spare time. i only get out in the paddock about six times a year . i really like goat meat and wabbit for the freezer . i'm workin' on getting out more but ;) for the OP's uses a 270 would be good, but from what i've heard about sambar a 30-06 has more room for error

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Goose#24 » 27 Dec 2018, 1:46 pm

So all!
I ended up going to the lgs this morning managed to get a brand new axis II in .270 with a banner on it for $650 obviously not exactly what I was after but I thought for the price it was atleast worth a try!
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 27 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

congrats on the new gun have a good time and be safe
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:39 pm

Goose#24 wrote:So all!
I ended up going to the lgs this morning managed to get a brand new axis II in .270 with a banner on it for $650 obviously not exactly what I was after but I thought for the price it was atleast worth a try!

Enjoy it mate, I'm sure it will do the job fine on the bambies with good shot placement. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

i remember reading eskimo's cull polar bears with 222's :wtf: . that's balls mate ! all head shot's , but man , ya wouldn't want to miss. still, it's probably safer than a spear :D i'e bought and sold a few rifles to get a feel on what "fits" me , the few i have now i practice with more, that whole "beware the one gun man, because he knows his rifle" is very true. shot placement is 90% of the job . my 22lr, 222 and 6.5x55 are all i really need for what i hunt , the upper end of game being deer or pigs . i envy you fellas who live rural and get to shoot when ya got the spare time. i only get out in the paddock about six times a year . i really like goat meat and wabbit for the freezer . i'm workin' on getting out more but ;) for the OP's uses a 270 would be good, but from what i've heard about sambar a 30-06 has more room for error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzKM8VSRqc
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:51 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:59 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goose#24 » 27 Dec 2018, 4:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Goose#24 wrote:So all!

Enjoy it mate, I'm sure it will do the job fine on the bambies with good shot placement. :thumbsup:

I'll load 150gr in it and make sure it doesnt miss haha, if the scope is trash I'll just spend a couple extra bucks on a better one!
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 5:00 am

G'Day,
bought a SAVAGE 111FCXP3
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 5:54 am

What do you think of mate, how does it shoot?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 4:55 pm

About 2010 I purchased a SAVAGE 111 FCXP3 IN .300 WIN.MAG for bear and moose.......I removed the cheap bushnell scope and rings....purchased a LEUPOLD
VXII 3x9 scope ,rings AND bases...except for the pencil thin barrel which ''heats up after 3-4 rounds the rifle is a well made tack driver.....
the SAVAGE also has whats called THE BARREL NUT RING....with a rifle vice and barrel wrench,you can remove and change barrels with any round that fits the bolt head.... basically same action as the Savage 110.
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

I used to have a Savage 110 in 22-250 many years ago. It was nothing special to look it, however it always shot quite well with hand loads.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jan 2019, 5:47 pm

NAHMINT II wrote:About 2010 I purchased a SAVAGE 111 FCXP3 IN .300 WIN.MAG for bear and moose.......I removed the cheap bushnell scope and rings....purchased a LEUPOLD
VXII 3x9 scope ,rings AND bases...except for the pencil thin barrel which ''heats up after 3-4 rounds the rifle is a well made tack driver.....
the SAVAGE also has whats called THE BARREL NUT RING....with a rifle vice and barrel wrench,you can remove and change barrels with any round that fits the bolt head.... basically same action as the Savage 110.

Are you going to get any pre fit barrels for it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jan 2019, 6:33 pm

Looking at the price of pre fit barrels (as they seem to come from us) getting a local gunsmith to do it is nearly a better option
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles