Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Wanting Budget rifle info - Savage, Ruger, Howa?

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 11:00 am

I found the Lithgows to be heavy suckers (17hmr lam stock version) I was surprised just how heavy it was actually, I wasn't expecting it to be that heavy. Nicely made rifles all the same but can't say I'd sell the little Lam Stocked Savage or the Brno Mod2 to own one. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2018, 11:07 am

Yeah they are a little weighty mate. I had a BRNO mod 2 which foolishly parted with some time ago and have since replaced with the Lithgow. Wish I had kept the BRNO to be honest mate. Still the Lithgow is just fine.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 11:11 am

JimTom wrote:Yeah they are a little weighty mate. I had a BRNO mod 2 which foolishly parted with some time ago and have since replaced with the Lithgow. Wish I had kept the BRNO to be honest mate. Still the Lithgow is just fine.

Yeah the Lithgow is a well put together outfit, for me at my stage of life I want lighter rifles and the little Lithgow isn't that sadly. They do some beautiful machining work at the factory going by what I've seen. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Goose#24 » 26 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?
Goose#24
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

Mate - I recently broke a weatherby vanguard in 06 - well, the cliff broke it...gravity helped. Until then it was shooting beautifully - moa no problem. It was light enough to walk around with, recoiled like a itch, was a little loose with bolt and action, but never affected performance- I’d buy another.
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2018, 1:04 pm

Goose#24 wrote:Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?

good rifle by all accounts. might be a bit light on projectile weight for sambar ? :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

Goose#24 wrote:Cheers all appreciate the help! I was having a squizz on used guns and saw a Weatherby Vanguard 270 with a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 on it for $500 thought that may be worth a look?

Yeah that would work nicely on the Fallow :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Goose#24 » 26 Dec 2018, 5:18 pm

bigrich wrote:

good rifle by all accounts. might be a bit light on projectile weight for sambar ? :unknown:

Minimum is 130gr I think? So it will do it but it doesnt leave a lot of room for error and wont leave as much ammo selection? I'd rather an 06 or 308 as it's not the min cal. :unknown:
Goose#24
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Dec 2018, 8:40 pm

You can load it with 150gr Will be fine then for sambar
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 27 Dec 2018, 3:19 am

As someone else said, a 270 is wannabe 308 with all the recoil and noise.... but not the result
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2018, 6:37 am

The 270, 308, & 30-06 have all been very popular deer rounds for a reason. .........
They all work. 303 was used to good effect for many years.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2018, 7:16 am

Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 12:31 pm

bigrich wrote:Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

So true, soon we will need Howitzers with 5kg projectiles to down rabbits at the rate people are getting more and more stupid.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:Nah, geez. Whadya talking about using 303 for OB ? Dontcha know ya need a muzzle braked tacticool rifle in 300 win mag with a military grade scope that shoots out to 2k with a red dot thermal mode :lol: I gotta admire the skill of people who have hunted deer with a bow or a 44-40 lever gun. We’re spoiled for choice in this day and age :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

So true, soon we will need Howitzers with 5kg projectiles to down rabbits at the rate people are getting more and more stupid.

i remember reading eskimo's cull polar bears with 222's :wtf: . that's balls mate ! all head shot's , but man , ya wouldn't want to miss. still, it's probably safer than a spear :D i'e bought and sold a few rifles to get a feel on what "fits" me , the few i have now i practice with more, that whole "beware the one gun man, because he knows his rifle" is very true. shot placement is 90% of the job . my 22lr, 222 and 6.5x55 are all i really need for what i hunt , the upper end of game being deer or pigs . i envy you fellas who live rural and get to shoot when ya got the spare time. i only get out in the paddock about six times a year . i really like goat meat and wabbit for the freezer . i'm workin' on getting out more but ;) for the OP's uses a 270 would be good, but from what i've heard about sambar a 30-06 has more room for error

bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Goose#24 » 27 Dec 2018, 1:46 pm

So all!
I ended up going to the lgs this morning managed to get a brand new axis II in .270 with a banner on it for $650 obviously not exactly what I was after but I thought for the price it was atleast worth a try!
Goose#24
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 27 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

congrats on the new gun have a good time and be safe
wrenchman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:39 pm

Goose#24 wrote:So all!
I ended up going to the lgs this morning managed to get a brand new axis II in .270 with a banner on it for $650 obviously not exactly what I was after but I thought for the price it was atleast worth a try!

Enjoy it mate, I'm sure it will do the job fine on the bambies with good shot placement. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2018, 2:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

i remember reading eskimo's cull polar bears with 222's :wtf: . that's balls mate ! all head shot's , but man , ya wouldn't want to miss. still, it's probably safer than a spear :D i'e bought and sold a few rifles to get a feel on what "fits" me , the few i have now i practice with more, that whole "beware the one gun man, because he knows his rifle" is very true. shot placement is 90% of the job . my 22lr, 222 and 6.5x55 are all i really need for what i hunt , the upper end of game being deer or pigs . i envy you fellas who live rural and get to shoot when ya got the spare time. i only get out in the paddock about six times a year . i really like goat meat and wabbit for the freezer . i'm workin' on getting out more but ;) for the OP's uses a 270 would be good, but from what i've heard about sambar a 30-06 has more room for error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzKM8VSRqc
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles