A Marlin XLR 30/30 Review

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: A Marlin XLR 30/30 Review

Post by Stoney » 08 Jan 2019, 7:30 pm

in2anity wrote:It also likes 2207 on the hotter side exiting at 1780fps:

21gr_2207.jpg

And the 1800fps 25gr 2206H load grouped well again, even with a piping-hot barrel:

25gr_2206H.jpg

Interestingly the XLR does not seem to like mild loads of TB and AP70N - it only seems to tighten up when encroaching on 2000fps.

2207 looks the goods mate
Stoney
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jan 2019, 7:51 am

Nice rifle and good review mate. Just wondering, where the mag tube dovetails to the under side of the barrel, is there any movement in the mag tube? And where it comes out of the forend? I’ve got a 336 BL and you can move the mag tube just a bit, the dovetail itself is tight, but the screw that goes through the end of the mag tube seems like it could be tighter, but I can’t get any more out of it. On the other hand, some people have said that this is normal.?
Lithgow LA 102 .223
Ruger American Compact .22 mag
Browning BL .22
Marlin 336 BL 30-30
Bettinsoli X Trail Camo 12 gauge
Shootermick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2019, 9:15 am

Shootermick wrote:Nice rifle and good review mate. Just wondering, where the mag tube dovetails to the under side of the barrel, is there any movement in the mag tube? And where it comes out of the forend? I’ve got a 336 BL and you can move the mag tube just a bit, the dovetail itself is tight, but the screw that goes through the end of the mag tube seems like it could be tighter, but I can’t get any more out of it. On the other hand, some people have said that this is normal.?

Having a bit of slop in the mag tube is fine - in fact, when accurizing 336s, one of your objectives is to relieve the tensions in the forend and tube. For barrel-banded 336 your band screws should not be tight. I’ve got a 30AS coming which I plan to pillar-bed the tang and glass+rtv bed the forend, I’m going to write a blog post about it - this concept will be exactly applicable to the 336 BL.
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

Cool, thanks for that bit of confirmation. I put some XS ghost rings on it last night and I’m about to take it out to zero it on. Factory rear sight was drifted way out to one side, which didn’t matter too much as I was waiting on my new sights anyway. First impressions of the ghost rings are good, hope they perform.
Lithgow LA 102 .223
Ruger American Compact .22 mag
Browning BL .22
Marlin 336 BL 30-30
Bettinsoli X Trail Camo 12 gauge
Shootermick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Jan 2019, 11:23 am

Looking forward to your blog post in2anity about bedding your 336 :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2019, 2:17 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Looking forward to your blog post in2anity about bedding your 336 :thumbsup:

I just hope I don’t turn a good shooter into a average one lol. I want to do the XLR336 and the 30AS basically at the same time as a comparison - I’m just waiting on some bits and bobs and a copy of McPherson’s (out of print) “Accurizing the factor rifle” coming from the states - paid an arm and a leg for that book :shock: The article won’t come for a while but the wheels are in motion. :drinks:
Last edited by in2anity on 26 Jan 2019, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2019, 2:45 pm

Shootermick wrote:Cool, thanks for that bit of confirmation. I put some XS ghost rings on it last night and I’m about to take it out to zero it on. Factory rear sight was drifted way out to one side, which didn’t matter too much as I was waiting on my new sights anyway. First impressions of the ghost rings are good, hope they perform.

Mate any sort of arpeture receiver will be a huge step up from the factory buckhorn glhf
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Jan 2019, 6:56 pm

in2anity wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Looking forward to your blog post in2anity about bedding your 336 :thumbsup:

I just hope I don’t turn a good shooter into a average one lol. I want to do the XLR336 and the 30AS basically at the same time as a comparison - I’m just waiting on some bits and bobs and a copy of McPherson’s (out of print) “Accurizing the factor rifle” coming from the states - paid an arm and a leg for that book :shock: The article won’t come for a while but the wheels are in motion. :drinks:

Onya mate :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles