Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm

Hi,
0.15 mm is only .006 thou. Doesnt sound like a lot of expansion. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in here.

But were the cases showing signs of high pressure?

Also ensure the chamber is dry,,,,,NO oil.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

Islander7 wrote:
Cooper wrote:What have you oiled? Bolt? Chamber?. With a problem like that I'd usuall try a different brand of ammo (brass) and see if the problem repeat.

Out of the box bolt didn't operate smoothly. I cleaned and then oiled and then wiped off excess oil: bolt, chamber, bore, pretty much all metal parts, now bolt operates very smoothly. What puzzles me is that unfired ammo cycles correctly with zero issues. Thanks, I will try different ammo today as per your suggestion, however I think my local shop has only 2 available: the above-mentioned remmington and ppu.

Don't leave any oil in the chamber, it can dramatically increase bolt thrust if the case can't grip the chamber wall.
The expansion you measured sounds fine for factory ammo - I assume that's at the case head, forward of the extractor groove?
Do the fired cases stick if you chamber them again?
I can only guess that the extractor is not functioning correctly if it's slipping off the rim. The extractor should be virtually able to tear the rim before it slips off. Is there any oil on the extractor perhaps letting it slide off the rim? Have you checked for a burr on the extractor?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 3:30 pm

I’ve had weihrauch rimfires , and they seemed to have tight chambers and didn’t like some American ammo. If there’s oil in the chamber that wouldn’t be helping . My weihrauch’s did chamber the problem ammo after a hundred rounds or so had been run through them
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Islander7 » 25 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm

Thanks all. I've listened to your advice, wiped clean the chamber again and got another ammo to try (PPU). With new ammo the brass extracted correctly in all 10 shots. Very happy now :) didn't have time to zero precisely though as it got dark. Will do tomorrow. Thanks again for everything
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2019, 4:49 am

If you can find some islander, Winchester 46 gn hollow points shoot very well in the hornet rifles I have owned. Which is unusual cause all other Winchester ammunition I’ve ever had shoots like cr@p. Rem hp’s were reasonably accurate as well for me . If you get into hand loading the hornet can be very accurate, cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Feb 2019, 6:51 am

Oldbloke wrote:Hi,
0.15 mm is only .006 thou. Doesnt sound like a lot of expansion. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in here.

But were the cases showing signs of high pressure?

Also ensure the chamber is dry,,,,,NO oil.

Depending on where and how the measurement was taken that amount of expansion could be massive!
If measured at the solid web with an accurate micrometer then there is evidence of a dangerous pressure problem. In that case I would say stop what you are doing and visit a competent gunsmith.
A picture with indication where you are measuring would help to clarify.
An oily chamber allows the case to back out upon firing and greatly increase bolt thrust to possibly dangerous levels for some action designs.
If the case backs out sufficiently such that the solid web has moved beyond the support of the chamber walls then extraction will be difficult due to the residual pressure on the bolt. A competent gunsmith will be able to make a minor adjustment to the extractor to improve (but not fully rectify) your problem.
Remington occasionally throws up brass that is somewhat soft in in the web area and the problem can be due to a number of factors combined.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 13 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm

I will mention that when I bought my Weihrauch the barrel and chamber were filthy, covered in any-rust, and I had to give the bugger a right old clean before I used it. I mean I seriously had to spend a long time cleaning it before it came up spotless.

Once cleaned, it shot like a house on fire.

I had trouble with one of my old CZ rimfires failing to extract thick-rim (Federal) ammo (have you measured the rims of the different types of ammo?) and the issue was the extractor.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles