Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Post by Islander7 » 30 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

Gaznazdiak, definitely safety is top priority for me, I was never going to even aim in the neighbouring properties direction to start with (I've got neighbours on only 2 sides, with other 2 sides being dense bush for 2-5 kilometres). But still I started seriously question the need of .223 for my case.
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2018, 10:55 am

Islander7 wrote:Gaznazdiak, the biggest non-sheep will be wallaby or forester (eastern grey) kangaroo. Will 17wsm be fine for that, if I do my bit? (I'm after for as humane kill as possible, don't want them to suffer).

Tassie, too late mate, already bought a small 4 gun safe (that will fit max 2 guns I believe)

Also, bladeracer mentioned .22 hornet. Being centrefire calibre is much different from .223? Worth considering at all?

Not going to reload, only factoey-made ammo. Cost of ammo is least of my concerns at this stage

Thanks everyone, heading to the 'Rimfire' section of the forum to do further research then :)

I don't shoot wallaby or 'roo, but they cull deer in the UK with the .17HMR. As long as you practice and take careful shots it'd be fine, but check if it's legal where you are. Some states have cartridge minimums for 'roo.
Just add more safes until you have enough :-)
I like .22 Hornet, and it would be eminently suitable for what you've suggested. But I think they can be finicky to get them shooting really well. The Brno Fox Model 2 is a beautiful rifle. Yes, Hornet and .223 are quite different. The Hornet only shoots the lightest bullets - 35gn to about 50gn, the .223 shoots the light bullets as well, but also up to 80gn or more for larger game. The .223 also adds 1000fps to the bullet - about 2900fps and 3900fps for a 35gn bullet in both cartridges.
Reloading is not about cost of ammo, it's about flexibility and allows you to get maximum versatility and performance out of your firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Dec 2018, 11:06 am

Islander7 wrote:Gaznazdiak, definitely safety is top priority for me, I was never going to even aim in the neighbouring properties direction to start with (I've got neighbours on only 2 sides, with other 2 sides being dense bush for 2-5 kilometres). But still I started seriously question the need of .223 for my case.

It's reassuring to see that safety is a pre-consideration for you, mate.

I wasn't suggesting you would aim in the neighbour's direction but, I was always taught that where firearms are in use, if you don't know someone new, regard them as being totally without experience until you discover otherwise.

A lot of new shooters get over enthusiastic and lose sight of the possible downsides in the excitement of owning a firearm for the first time, you seem to be going about things the right way though.

Please keep us informed as to your choice and how it suits your needs. :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2018, 4:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Islander7 wrote:Gaznazdiak, the biggest non-sheep will be wallaby or forester (eastern grey) kangaroo. Will 17wsm be fine for that, if I do my bit? (I'm after for as humane kill as possible, don't want them to suffer).

Tassie, too late mate, already bought a small 4 gun safe (that will fit max 2 guns I believe)

Also, bladeracer mentioned .22 hornet. Being centrefire calibre is much different from .223? Worth considering at all?

Not going to reload, only factoey-made ammo. Cost of ammo is least of my concerns at this stage

Thanks everyone, heading to the 'Rimfire' section of the forum to do further research then :)

I don't shoot wallaby or 'roo, but they cull deer in the UK with the .17HMR. As long as you practice and take careful shots it'd be fine, but check if it's legal where you are. Some states have cartridge minimums for 'roo.
I like .22 Hornet, and it would be eminently suitable for what you've suggested. But I think they can be finicky to get them shooting really well. The Brno Fox Model 2 is a beautiful rifle. Yes, Hornet and .223 are quite different. The Hornet only shoots the lightest bullets - 35gn to about 50gn, the .223 shoots the light bullets as well, but also up to 80gn or more for larger game. The .223 also adds 1000fps to the bullet - about 2900fps and 3900fps for a 35gn bullet in both cartridges.
Reloading is not about cost of ammo, it's about flexibility and allows you to get maximum versatility and performance out of your firearms.

can you post a link to show culling deer legally in the UK with a 17HMR :unknown:
here is what I have been able to find about UK deer hunting law https://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2018, 4:40 pm

marksman wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

can you post a link to show culling deer legally in the UK with a 17HMR :unknown:
here is what I have been able to find about UK deer hunting law https://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/

Who cares, it's irrelevant to this particular situation, to the OP, just buy the 223 and a 22 that will take care of your needs, no need to overcomplicate things - trust me they will sort all of your needs out fine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Islander7 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:
Something nobody seems to have yet asked, at least I haven't:
Islander, how big is the farm on which you are planning to use your new rifle?

That might be your limiting factor.
A .223 is not going to be welcomed by the neighbours on a 5 acre block.

It's a 100+ acres block, however the shape and terrain of it means that I will be 'hunting' mostly on 25acres, in the area that is about 350-400m to neighbouring houses. .223 Noise is not big issue, however if I can keep it down, it would be great for everybody..

100 acres is not too small for a .223, but with your neighbours under 400m away, please bear in mind that some of us hunt with the .223 at that range and longer, I don't want to kick sand in your dinner, but remember also that the 5.56mm round was designed to bring down a human out to 600m, so we are talking serious terminal ballistics from that small projectile.
All things to consider. And safety can't be overthought.
Except in the case of bloody onion rings at Bunnings.

I agree with you Gaz that 100 acres is not to small for a 223 but saying that the 5.56x45mm was designed to bring down a human out to 600m is nowhere near enough information for a meaningful answer, the 5,56x45mm started out shooting a 55gr projectile that shot on the edge of stability so it yawed and tumbled when it hit a human making devastating wounds because it tumbled on impact but was not very accurate, when they fixed the accuracy problem with a 1 in 12" twist barrel the 55gr projectiles used pencilled through, utterly useless,
anyhow if you want to read the history about the 5,56x45mm here is a link www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/ ... ngton.html
it also tells about the 223rem which is not inferior to the 222 as the op has suggested that he read some where
the 223 is IMO a very capable round but you need realistic expectations about it :wtf:

I will bring to your attention that I have just come home from a day of gruelling sausage sizzling at bunnings and bunnings are not saying you cannot have your onion rings on top of the sausage anymore they are saying that it is only a suggestion :unknown: we put the onion rings to the side :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2018, 4:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
marksman wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Who cares, it's irrelevant to this particular situation, to the OP, just buy the 223 and a 22 that will take care of your needs, no need to overcomplicate things - trust me they will sort all of your needs out fine. :thumbsup:

its not irrelevant if olmate decides to believe this rubbish and goes out wounding roo's with a 17hmr but you are right no need to overcomplicate things
:drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm

Geez...can this reach 10 pages lol.
I’ll add my agreement to the bulk.
Buy a varmint barrel 223 with a really good quality scope 4-18 or 6-20 and buy a known .22 with a 3-9 or 4-12 scope.
I have a .22 in Bruno cz452 or cz455 (can’t recsll now but it’s small and light) and I’ve an old norinco .22 - they both shoot great / similar.
You will learn more than you can possibly ask by getting out there with a heap of ammo and just shooting 2 x firearms.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2018, 5:02 pm

Your only confusing the poor bugger with all that waffle. Pretty much anything can kill a human at certain ranges, knives up close, cars, doctors etc etc, why even bring it up, I'm sure he's been told the basics when he did his test so why over complicate the whole process, all he has to remember is be aware of where his neighbours places are and to check the background behind the target before he sends one down range, bloody hell a 22 has a range of 2km or more so should we all just stick to that to kill everything from a rabbit to a buff?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 30 Dec 2018, 5:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Your only confusing the poor bugger with all that waffle. Pretty much anything can kill a human at certain ranges, knives up close, cars, doctors etc etc, why even bring it up, I'm sure he's been told the basics when he did his test so why over complicate the whole process, all he has to remember is be aware of where his neighbours places are and to check the background behind the target before he sends one down range, bloody hell a 22 has a range of 2km or more so should we all just stick to that to kill everything from a rabbit to a buff?

yep this thread be outa control :shock: :lol:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2018, 5:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Geez...can this reach 10 pages lol.
Buy a varmint barrel 223 with a really good quality scope 4-18 or 6-20 and buy a known .22 with a 3-9 or 4-12 scope.
I have a .22 in Bruno cz452 or cz455 (can’t recsll now but it’s small and light) and I’ve an old norinco .22 - they both shoot great / similar.
You will learn more than you can possibly ask by getting out there with a heap of ammo and just shooting 2 x firearms.

Only prob with high mag optics is they show ya breathing/heartbeat, it can be a PITA - way better to keep it simple IMO - people always seem to want to put hubbles on hunting outfits, much better to keep the mag down and be able to use the scope a lot more efficiently ie no having to search around in the scope trying to find the target cos ya got it wound up and fiddling with parralax etc, just keep it simple, no over complicated Xhairs with all manner of crap going on, you just want a simple X-hair that you can place on the spot and send one on it's way.

I personally think people get half this crap from target shooters who have all day to line up and take a shot, all that sort of shooting is irrelevant in real world hunting situations where it's usually a matter of a few seconds between spotting a target and getting a shot off and if you are busy farting around with magnificaton and parralax, and trying to find the target cos ya got the thing wound right up you are going to miss the opportunity as a rule, KISS! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Uber_petey » 30 Dec 2018, 5:35 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Geez...can this reach 10 pages lol.

What quality 4-18ish scope would you go for?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Dec 2018, 5:43 pm

Obviously just my op.
If your starting out - you don’t know what scope will best suit you, because you don’t necessarily know (understand) what your hunting situation will be...
I have a fixed leopold hunting scope that is 6 x and it’s great for what it is - but it’s definitive capabilities are very much locked in and I wouldn’t take a headshot much beyond 120m with it and it’s useless inside 50m That gives me a 70m range for a dedicated hunting scope (fixed power). Again - perfect, if I know exactly what I’m going to be encountering day in / day out.
A variable scope is more than likely to sit on the one magnification 90% of the time - but it’s bloody great to have the flexibility when you need it and if your getting a bit older, eyes aren’t what they used to be, a 18 x or thereabouts at 250m = perfect for bunny headshots, which sounds similar to what ops situation might be. It’s the Flexibility that I enjoy from a variable - the few days a year that I do enjoy target shooting for fun - i can wind up the power and still do that to a degree as well. I do agree with reticle being kept simple - busy reticle can be confusing and obscure vision - I like a simple and thin cross hair, I’ll work out my own drop compensation or not take the shot thsnks.
I’ve seen a few (amazing) rabbit shooters on here, range a Warren at say 200- 300m and then dial in and plink away. They have bulk time because of the distance involved - often the fellow bunnies don’t even move when their brother decides to lie down. Others are getting one shot off at rabbits at 60-100m before the rest scatter...if you know what x power on your scope works at what range - it takes less than a second to adjust it and enjoy best of both worlds...and with that in mind - (for sale - an exc condition Leupold M8 6 x, orig box, user manual, etc..pm if interested).
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Dec 2018, 5:58 pm

Actually I prefer my snag sangas without adulterations, just sauce. :D
Got some looks in the States asking for hotdogs just with ketchup while everyone else is piling on bacon chips, chilli, mustard, cheese and all manner things.

My comment about bringing down a human was just an attempt to remind Islander that a .223 round on the right trajectory carries a serious amount of energy for a long way and is an order of magnitude at least more potent than a .22.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Uber_petey » 30 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Obviously just my op.
If your starting out - you don’t know what scope will best suit you, because you don’t necessarily know (understand) what your hunting situation will be...
I have a fixed leopold hunting scope that is 6 x and it’s great for what it is - but it’s definitive capabilities are very much locked in and I wouldn’t take a headshot much beyond 120m with it and it’s useless inside 50m That gives me a 70m range for a dedicated hunting scope (fixed power). Again - perfect, if I know exactly what I’m going to be encountering day in / day out.
A variable scope is more than likely to sit on the one magnification 90% of the time - but it’s bloody great to have the flexibility when you need it and if your getting a bit older, eyes aren’t what they used to be, a 18 x or thereabouts at 250m = perfect for bunny headshots, which sounds similar to what ops situation might be. It’s the Flexibility that I enjoy from a variable - the few days a year that I do enjoy target shooting for fun - i can wind up the power and still do that to a degree as well. I do agree with reticle being kept simple - busy reticle can be confusing and obscure vision - I like a simple and thin cross hair, I’ll work out my own drop compensation or not take the shot thsnks.
I’ve seen a few (amazing) rabbit shooters on here, range a Warren at say 200- 300m and then dial in and plink away. They have bulk time because of the distance involved - often the fellow bunnies don’t even move when their brother decides to lie down. Others are getting one shot off at rabbits at 60-100m before the rest scatter...if you know what x power on your scope works at what range - it takes less than a second to adjust it and enjoy best of both worlds...and with that in mind - (for sale - an exc condition Leupold M8 6 x, orig box, user manual, etc..pm if interested).

Choosing a scope is a nightmare imho. I have just bought a varmint Howa 223(first and only rifle)… no scope on it yet coz I can't decide. People I know rave about the 6-18x50 meopta, and I'm actually considering that particular optic. The larger mag will be good for the range which in reality is where I will begin spending most of my time with the rifle. But the minimum magnification if 6x makes me nervous about slightly closer range hunting work. There are too many choices out there I think. I have no issue spending some coin, just want something I'll enjoy and cover some hunting and some range mucking around.
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2018, 6:31 pm

I have the 6-18x50 Meopta mate and I like it. It is on a 6.5CM, I just have a 3-9x40 3500 Bushnell Elite on my .223.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Uber_petey » 30 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

JimTom wrote:I have the 6-18x50 Meopta mate and I like it. It is on a 6.5CM, I just have a 3-9x40 3500 Bushnell Elite on my .223.

Nice. Have you ever considered putting a meopta on the 223? Or is the 3-9 plenty for your needs?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 30 Dec 2018, 7:10 pm

bigrich wrote:
it would be a damn good idea to have a gun shop with a range where you could test drive before you buy. sure as this exists in the US, but i haven't heard of any out here . probably WAAAAAY too much red tape with the fuzz . testing second hand if you can is a good idea as it's a lucky dip at times. i've bought some awesome firearms second hand, but i've had the odd lemon too

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

The US really does have scale of economy. The whole Australian firearm market wouldn't be 1% of the US market.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

Uber_petey wrote:

Choosing a scope is a nightmare imho. I have just bought a varmint Howa 223(first and only rifle)… no scope on it yet coz I can't decide. People I know rave about the 6-18x50 meopta, and I'm actually considering that particular optic. The larger mag will be good for the range which in reality is where I will begin spending most of my time with the rifle. But the minimum magnification if 6x makes me nervous about slightly closer range hunting work. There are too many choices out there I think. I have no issue spending some coin, just want something I'll enjoy and cover some hunting and some range mucking around.

Why would the 6x mag make you nervous at close ranges? :unknown: and what do you consider close range?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 30 Dec 2018, 7:25 pm

Uber_petey wrote:
JimTom wrote:I have the 6-18x50 Meopta mate and I like it. It is on a 6.5CM, I just have a 3-9x40 3500 Bushnell Elite on my .223.

Nice. Have you ever considered putting a meopta on the 223? Or is the 3-9 plenty for your needs?

The 3-9 has done the job so far mate, in saying that I don’t shoot large distances with it, I only got the 6-18 Meopta for the Creedmoor as I fancied trying a bit longer range shooting across the salt flats.
I think that particular optic would be an overkill for the .223 but that’s just me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

There are ppl on line target shooting the .223 out to well over 1klm - just to reinforce what Gaz said about the rounds capability and energy...
whilst this was never, ever in my plans...I’ve found my private distances getting further and further and further...it’s a good feeling shooting a small steel gong at distance and hearing back that echo of success when you do get all the variables “just right”...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 30 Dec 2018, 7:53 pm

Help me to choose best rifle in .223
AS others have said for the $$$ a Howa would suite your need,s Nothing wrong with Howa,s I have 2 1 in 7.62 x 39 and 1 in 243 both shoot better than i do .
I also have 3 223 rifles 1 is a Tikka Hunter , 2 Is a Rugger M77 mark II, 3 is a Omark 44.( I built that One still in progress)
I also have .22 Hornet .22wm 17wsm and quite a few others I do shoot a bit .
Personally if I were in your shoes I would think about getting a good quality .22 you can shoot rabbits all day long dispatch a sheep when needed and learn to shoot see if you like to shoot funny as it may sound some people can not shoot a living Target I have seen it a few times (that,s how I got the Howa 243 and a 308 mate bought a few guns then froze when he went to shoot a few times not just the once).
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2018, 7:57 pm

Uber_petey wrote:

Choosing a scope is simple, just don't over complicate things. If you have $150 to spend then get a Bushnell, if you have $3,000 then get a Nightforce. As far as magnification goes for general hunting goes you will be walking around with minimal magnification but when you are set up for varminting you want to wind it up. Try 6 to 20 or 8 to 25.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm

223 s/s laminate tikka , CZ 452 2E american 22lr . spend the rest of your budget on descent scopes ( not going to open that can of worms :lol: ) 3-9x40 for the 22lr , 4-12x40 for the 223 . flexable , usable, reliable combo that will do everything you want and cheap to run on factory ammo :thumbsup: job done end of this topic , shoot and enjoy, islander

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Uber_petey » 30 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Uber_petey wrote:

Why would the 6x mag make you nervous at close ranges? :unknown: and what do you consider close range?

I think of closer range being around the 50m or so mark. And by nervous I guess I meant if something popped out of nowhere in that closer range, I am not sure if the 6x power would be too much to quickly sight the rabbit/fox or what have ya, and get a shot off. I don't have anything to compare to etc as what ever I buy, will literally be the first one I've bought. I guess you could say I want the cake and also want to eat it.
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2018, 8:14 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Uber_petey wrote:

Choosing a scope is simple, just don't over complicate things. If you have $150 to spend then get a Bushnell, if you have $3,000 then get a Nightforce. As far as magnification goes for general hunting goes you will be walking around with minimal magnification but when you are set up for varminting you want to wind it up. Try 6 to 20 or 8 to 25.

you are a smart bloke SCJ429 :drinks:
buy the best you can and use what you need to for what you are doing :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Dec 2018, 8:29 pm

Hmm i think the problem is the guy wants to buy 1 rifle to do everything.

Well look at it this way....i can get a crescent wrench, build a house, fix my car. ..... it would be hard but not impossible. Or i could get the proper tools. ..ie right tools for the right job.

So what would you rather do, you can get 1 and yes it may do the job but it will either be to big or to small or to expensive. I started like that earlier this year. My first gun to shoot foxes.....but soon realized it wasn't what i wanted to. So my safe had grown.

So what you want to do,a 22lr would be ideal to practice on, low noise, cheap to run, can kill all the rabbits and even humainly cull livestock.

And either a 223 or 243 or 308 would be ideal 2nd gun, to kill bigger animals than foxes upto kangaroo and deer if you ever want to.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Islander7 » 30 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

pomemax wrote: I also have 3 223 rifles 1 is a Tikka Hunter , 2 Is a Rugger M77 mark II, 3 is a Omark 44.( I built that One still in progress)
I also have .22 Hornet .22wm 17wsm and quite a few others I do shoot a bit .

How would you rate the noise of .223 vs 22Hornet vs 22wm vs 17wsm on a scale 1 to 10 for example?

pomemax wrote: Personally if I were in your shoes I would think about getting a good quality .22 you can shoot rabbits all day long dispatch a sheep when needed and learn to shoot see if you like to shoot

Thanks, you are not the first one here who recommends this route, and I'm seriously considering taking it, however got just one question, is there any reason why I should buy .22lr and not .22 magnum (not considering ammo cost difference)??
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2018, 8:50 pm

Islander, I was hoping your latest post was going to say that you had made up your mind and you were buying your Sako tomorrow. I have fired 400 rounds since you started this tread. You just need a rifle, any rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2018, 8:52 pm

Everyone on this forum has a 22lr, very few have a 22 Magnum. Just saying.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles