Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 8:06 pm

gunnnie wrote:Good to see 788's getting some lovin'.
My first 788 was also my first rifles after a barren 5yrs thanks to my ex & needing to sell my toys!
Loved that rifle, didn't look great but it shot like stink.
After picking up the 788 in 22PPC I needed to add a few more. A 222 with no stock turned up then the 22-250. I'm going to chase Cameron H up for a couple of stocks to give both these old gems a new lease on life.

Would like to get one of the 7-08 models. Will have to chase up a couple of Timney triggers too.


I wanted the 7mm-08 when I was a kid to go with my .222Rem, but I just didn't have any need for back then. It's the reason I made sure I got the 7mm-08 this time around :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by gunnnie » 11 Jan 2019, 8:10 pm

Haven't seen a 788 in 7-08 in years. Keep trawling thru the various second hand gun sites but nothing yet. I'm patient though, one will turn up eventually.
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 230
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Stix » 11 Jan 2019, 8:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunnnie wrote:Good to see 788's getting some lovin'.
My first 788 was also my first rifles after a barren 5yrs thanks to my ex & needing to sell my toys!
Loved that rifle, didn't look great but it shot like stink.
After picking up the 788 in 22PPC I needed to add a few more. A 222 with no stock turned up then the 22-250. I'm going to chase Cameron H up for a couple of stocks to give both these old gems a new lease on life.

Would like to get one of the 7-08 models. Will have to chase up a couple of Timney triggers too.


I wanted the 7mm-08 when I was a kid to go with my .222Rem, but I just didn't have any need for back then. It's the reason I made sure I got the 7mm-08 this time around :-)


Yes guys...i keep a lookout for them in 7-08 as well...!!
However im waiting on a give-away 22-250 or 308 that is shot out....
I csme across a couple a year or so back, but he wanted too much for them & they really had been butchered...

And Blade...whats this pityful crap about "not needing one back then"...as if you NEED 90% of what you have now... :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry mate...that excuse coming from you just doesnt wash mate...!!! :roll:
:sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3683
South Australia

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 9:13 pm

Stix wrote:Yes guys...i keep a lookout for them in 7-08 as well...!!
However im waiting on a give-away 22-250 or 308 that is shot out....
I csme across a couple a year or so back, but he wanted too much for them & they really had been butchered...

And Blade...whats this pityful crap about "not needing one back then"...as if you NEED 90% of what you have now... :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry mate...that excuse coming from you just doesnt wash mate...!!! :roll:
:sarcasm:


Yes, I didn't think I'd sneak that past even while I was typing it :-)
I had eleven rifles and shotguns when I was seventeen, which I thought was rather a large haul back then :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by sir-wal » 16 Sep 2019, 1:41 am

Hi all, please excuse me for dragging up an old thread but i was scouting around the net looking for a magazine for my mod 788 222 and came across this forum and had to sign up to post on here.
Where ever i have looked they either don't ship to Australia or are asking an arm or leg for one which is frustrating so does anyone know where i can get one at a reasonable price ?
Back in 2011 it was stolen along with 8 other firearms while i was away from home working, nothing worse than coming home to see the mess made of my cabinet to get them out of there, some were very old and had more sentimental value to me than anything else.
Other items of value were stolen as well.
During the last gun amnesty it was handed in to a gun dealer missing it's case, sling and magazine but i was amazed it still had the scope on it and whoever had it even cleaned up the stock and it looks quite good.
Anyway.......enough of that, can anyone point me in the right direction to get one at a fair price ? Tried one of the local gun dealers and he said he cant get one and good luck with finding one.

Cheers

PS
I have enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread and the only problem i have ever had with mine was not long after i first bought it, a few of us were out fox shooting one day, i had my trusty shotgun in my hands with the 222 slung over my shoulder, we were walking along when all of a sudden BOOM !
Everyone looked around wondering who just fired a shot but were mostly looking at me as if i fired one, i took the rifle off my shoulder, pulled the bolt back and it ejected an empty case so what the hell happened here and how ?
A further inspection found deep rubbing marks around the safety and trigger area from my gun belt for the 12g, it was enough to knock the safety into fire mode and then knock the trigger.
I have never used a gun belt since and this is going back nearly 40 years ago.

Once again cheers and thanks in advance for any help.
sir-wal
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 1
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2019, 4:43 pm

sir-wal wrote:Hi all, please excuse me for dragging up an old thread but i was scouting around the net looking for a magazine for my mod 788 222 and came across this forum and had to sign up to post on here.
Where ever i have looked they either don't ship to Australia or are asking an arm or leg for one which is frustrating so does anyone know where i can get one at a reasonable price ?
Back in 2011 it was stolen along with 8 other firearms while i was away from home working, nothing worse than coming home to see the mess made of my cabinet to get them out of there, some were very old and had more sentimental value to me than anything else.
Other items of value were stolen as well.
During the last gun amnesty it was handed in to a gun dealer missing it's case, sling and magazine but i was amazed it still had the scope on it and whoever had it even cleaned up the stock and it looks quite good.
Anyway.......enough of that, can anyone point me in the right direction to get one at a fair price ? Tried one of the local gun dealers and he said he cant get one and good luck with finding one.

Cheers

PS
I have enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread and the only problem i have ever had with mine was not long after i first bought it, a few of us were out fox shooting one day, i had my trusty shotgun in my hands with the 222 slung over my shoulder, we were walking along when all of a sudden BOOM !
Everyone looked around wondering who just fired a shot but were mostly looking at me as if i fired one, i took the rifle off my shoulder, pulled the bolt back and it ejected an empty case so what the hell happened here and how ?
A further inspection found deep rubbing marks around the safety and trigger area from my gun belt for the 12g, it was enough to knock the safety into fire mode and then knock the trigger.
I have never used a gun belt since and this is going back nearly 40 years ago.

Once again cheers and thanks in advance for any help.


Magazine prices here can be extreme anyway, it's a small market, sometimes you can buy a complete rifle for a little more than people ask for the mag. Brownells.com.au might be worth a try. They don't have the .223 mag listed but the .308 mag is $50. https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=21300&product_id=13283
You can try ordering from other US dealers bubt then you need a B709, a US$250 export fee, on top of the freight.

I know people happy to pay $140 for magazines, but I'll stick with my $60 mags.

As for your ND, there is never any reason to have a round chambered when the rifle is slung over your shoulder.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Sep 2019, 9:08 pm

yep, I've got a 222 and am using factory 50gr SP Remington ammo through it. That's the only ammo I've used, limited choice here.

As you say, the trigger takes a bit of getting used to but shoots OK. I've had no trouble with the safety or bolt release, seems good.

See target - The first 3 shots, trigger took me by surprise a bit plus scope needed adjustment but the next few rounds were OK.

Rem 222.jpg
Rem 222.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 1003 times


PS. QGE has a Rem 788 222 mag for sale ($75 ?) and there are a couple on used guns too.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Stix » 19 Sep 2019, 6:19 am

Shoots good, nice one...! :thumbsup:
Have you had it at 100 or 200 yet...?... :)

And what's with the trigger RJ, or what is it you have to get used to...?
Is it just heavy...?

If it hasnt been hacked at before, a good trigger man should be able to get it to a nice 2-2.5 lb...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3683
South Australia

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

Yo Stix, Nah, hasn't been hacked, just a bit heavy and different to the 243Win. Tikka.

Yep, it shoots Ok at 200 - 300yds.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by gunnnie » 19 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

Yeah unfortunately the 788's were not known for light triggers. That said, a competent 'smith who knows their way around a trigger, can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
I had the trigger on mine done by Pete Nesbit in Casino back in '02 & it was magic.
The mod'ed 788 22PPC I have now, has also had trigger work done & is beautifully crisp & light.
I have another 788 in 22-250 & am thinking of putting a Timney trigger into it.
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 230
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Sep 2019, 3:10 pm

Hi Gunnnie, The Timney trigger has entered my thought pattern too. Next time i'm down Casino way I'll check out Peter re costs etc....

Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by gunnnie » 19 Sep 2019, 8:06 pm

Good to see mate. Its been a long time since I last shook Pete's hand.
Not sure if he's still doing any smithing to be honest. Hope he is for your sake, as he is bloody good & doesn't charge like a wounded bull.
With the cost of a Timney what it is, even if Pete has put his price up, it'll still be bloody well worthwhile. Be looking fwd to hearing how you go.
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 230
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Stix » 19 Sep 2019, 8:52 pm

My 788 is at about 2.25-2.5 lb mark & snaps like my Sako...crisp, with a good thud...!

But be warned...if you get the trigger done be well prepared to rebarrel it much sooner...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3683
South Australia

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by marrinup » 21 Feb 2021, 7:07 am

Just joined this forum and good to see articles on the Remington 788, I have had one for over 10 years and just love the rifle, my favorite hunting bit of gear just so accurate and easy to use. When I got mine the trigger was woeful, pulled it apart and found the spring was a small stiff coiled job so I replaced it with one from a Parker biro, well now it is just brilliant and nice and light and crisp.
The best thing was that it cost nothing and made a world of difference to shot placement and accuracy, just got to love the 788 in 222 cal, with a decent scope hand loaded ammo. (52 gn Sierra pills over 19.5 Gns of Reloader 7), it can plug a stubbie top 10 times out of 10 at 100 m bench rested.
marrinup
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
Western Australia

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Feb 2021, 10:34 am

Yeah, 'I've got a 788 in .222R and it shoots great. Trigger could do with a bit of work,
Rem 222.jpg
Rem 222.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by juano86 » 22 Feb 2021, 1:18 pm

i picked up a 788 in .222 a few months back... i havent shot it yet though, iv got it pulled apart refurbishing the stock and rebluing the barrel / action. cant wait to get it back together and have a play.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 43
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

juano86 wrote:i picked up a 788 in .222 a few months back... i havent shot it yet though, iv got it pulled apart refurbishing the stock and rebluing the barrel / action. cant wait to get it back together and have a play.



How are you going to do that?
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6641
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Bugman » 22 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm

Had one many years ago. Terrific and very underrated 222. The crowning glory with mine is that I had the action bedded and then went to the local SSAA range and shot my silver award. Then went back the following weekend and shot my gold award. All using hand loads. But can't remember exact loads I used except that I was using Sierra projectiles. I ended up trading it in on something else......DOH!
User avatar
Bugman
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 420
New South Wales

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Feb 2021, 6:50 pm

Should read previous posts and still haven't got to Casino - blame Covid 19 with boarders open, boarders closed stuff. Been a few up for sale on used guns lately.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1387
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2021, 7:30 pm

Bugman wrote:Had one many years ago. Terrific and very underrated 222. The crowning glory with mine is that I had the action bedded and then went to the local SSAA range and shot my silver award. Then went back the following weekend and shot my gold award. All using hand loads. But can't remember exact loads I used except that I was using Sierra projectiles. I ended up trading it in on something else......DOH!


Sierra 52gn HPBT was outstanding in mine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7497
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Bugman » 23 Feb 2021, 6:59 am

Me thinks that may have been the projectile I used.
User avatar
Bugman
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 420
New South Wales

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by marrinup » 23 Feb 2021, 9:52 am

bladeracer wrote:
Bugman wrote:Had one many years ago. Terrific and very underrated 222. The crowning glory with mine is that I had the action bedded and then went to the local SSAA range and shot my silver award. Then went back the following weekend and shot my gold award. All using hand loads. But can't remember exact loads I used except that I was using Sierra projectiles. I ended up trading it in on something else......DOH!


Sierra 52gn HPBT was outstanding in mine.


Same here, tried 40, 50 and 55 gn projies, some even key holed, but the 52, is simply magic stuff, dunno why but it is a marriage made in heaven
marrinup
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
Western Australia

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by gunnnie » 23 Feb 2021, 10:32 pm

Same weight in my 223, but I think they were Nobler BTHP's from memory, over 26.5gns of AR2206. Easy .5MOA load in that rifle.
I've got to sort out loads for my 22-250 & see just how badly worn the tube is. If it can't group under 1" I'll get the 26" fluted bbl fitted, that's sitting in the safe.
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 230
Queensland

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Feb 2021, 10:47 pm

The Mrs has a 788 in 22-250, seems to shoot any suitable (1:14 twist) pill so it gets the same 50g load I use in my Tikka M55. I actually like the rifle more than my Tikka!
No1Mk3
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1178
Victoria

Re: Remington 788 -anyone here got one?

Post by Joshua.s » 25 Feb 2021, 12:01 pm

I have on in 6mm rem . And can only say good things about it so far
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Victoria

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles