Tikka CTR 6.5 CM mini review

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka CTR 6.5 CM mini review

Post by PaddyT » 05 Jan 2019, 8:56 am

Havent had the chance to do a quick review of my new rifle until now, its a T3X CTR in 6.5 CM with a 4500 2.5X10 Bushnell scope and so far im very happy. I took it to ST Marys after purchasing to sight in vertically and shoot the barrell in. I also took it for a walk end of November in a state forest but only got to fire one shot at a bunny which was all good(not for the bunny). Earlier this week i took it to Silverdale to sight in properly. So- dialled the scope in to 2 inches high at 100M and did some ammo testing- Federal Fusion 140gr - 3 shot group 17mm, Federal Powershock 140Gr-3 shot group 15mm, Hornady Whitetail 129gr3 shot group 12mm, Win Deer Season 125gr- 3 shot group 12 mm- all shot without cleaning between ammo changes, just letting the barell cool down a bit- so i have a very accurate, very unfussy rifle- I put an aftermarket Limbsaver recoil pad on it and can barely feel any kick at all. Now I just need to go and shoot something ore substantial than a bunny!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tikka CTR 6.5 CM mini review

Post by in2anity » 05 Jan 2019, 9:11 am

They are inherently accurate rifles aren’t they - I won a 600m comp with one recently off el-cheapo old sand bags beating some “holden-jack” f-class space guns, and even beat all bar one of the palma guys who were shooting alongside the comp. I take it yours is the 20” barrel version? Have you chronoed it yet?
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 05 Jan 2019, 9:24 am

no, im yet to go down the reloading path yet , thats a late 2019 job at this stage- yes it is the 20 incher, I am no great shakes as a shooter but this rifle is a "point and shoot" thats for sure- oh and yeah i was off a bipod for the ammo testing - its a bloody good rifle! I bought it as a hunting rifle- I love the way it comes up to my shoulder- its very well balanced (probably feels nicer offhand than my Tikka Lite) so the extra weight is no issue for carrrying
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jan 2019, 9:41 am

Well done Paddy, another awesome Tikka. I don't know if you can get loaded ammo with a 143 grain Hornady ELDX but this bullet has been very good on goats, deer, and pigs
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 05 Jan 2019, 9:46 am

Yeah they feel good offhand - I chose mine for rifle silhouette (standing offhand) where imo just under max weight (4.2kg) is perfect. And it’s way way more accurate than I am, even from supported shooting. Its actually kind of boringly accurate imo :lol:
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Jan 2019, 10:23 am

SCJ429 wrote:Well done Paddy, another awesome Tikka. I don't know if you can get loaded ammo with a 143 grain Hornady ELDX but this bullet has been very good on goats, deer, and pigs

I use these to reload for my 6.5 Manbun and extremely accurate. Haven't tried them on game yet, but have heard they work well also. Will get a chance to try on the swine in a few months time.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 05 Jan 2019, 10:26 am

I had a look at the ELDX but at $65 a box i might leave that till i start reloading, interestingly all the ammo stayed in that 1.5- 2 inches high area at 100- i figured 2 inches high at 100 means i basically point at anything out to 220-230 and it will hit the vitals, boringly accurate is fine for me, i reckon when buck fever kicks in at least i know if i can point right, it will go right! but yeah I can only imagine what a competent shooter could do with this as a target rifle.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Jan 2019, 10:46 am

Yes the ELD X aren't cheap however they come on special occasionally. I picked som up for far less than that.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jan 2019, 11:18 am

in2anity wrote:Yeah they feel good offhand - I chose mine for rifle silhouette (standing offhand) where imo just under max weight (4.2kg) is perfect. And it’s way way more accurate than I am, even from supported shooting. Its actually kind of boringly accurate imo :lol:

So can I assume you will be attending the Early Australia Day silhouette shoot at Majura range A.C.T 19-20 Jan '19 ?
Great chance to give your rifle a run and meet up. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 05 Jan 2019, 6:11 pm

Gamerancher wrote:
in2anity wrote:Yeah they feel good offhand - I chose mine for rifle silhouette (standing offhand) where imo just under max weight (4.2kg) is perfect. And it’s way way more accurate than I am, even from supported shooting. Its actually kind of boringly accurate imo :lol:

So can I assume you will be attending the Early Australia Day silhouette shoot at Majura range A.C.T 19-20 Jan '19 ?
Great chance to give your rifle a run and meet up. :drinks:

Mate I’d love to but the missus is popping out another minion end of the month - not sure how she’d take to me escaping to ACT. With a bit of luck i’ll get to snowball though.
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles