Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

yoshie wrote:I couldn't drag a sako around the scrub, I'd be too worried about scratching it.

Gee you must be short, lol
Member-Deleted

Post by yoshie » 02 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm

Jaso wrote:Gee you must be short, lol

No not short, I just seem to put my rifles through a fair workout. The Sakos just look too good, if I owned one it'd be a safe queen, and only take it to the range on special occasions.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by twoforty » 06 Feb 2014, 9:03 am

Thanks for the pics Jaso, and for everyones feedback.
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jeretilda » 16 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

I have both and would say that the Rugers are probably better value for money as a general hunting rifle.

Most things I point my Ruger 7-08 at stop moving.

You see a lot of the reason for selling a Sako on used guns is simply because people don't want to beat them up in the bush given the investment outlayed.

I actually prefer Ruger's Mauser style action over the Sako.

I'd say though if the minister said you can only have one centre fire I'd have to stick with my Sako.
John
Ruger 308W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 1-4 X 20 VXII
Ruger 243W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 2-7 X 32 VXI
Sako 223 L461 w/ Swarovski 4-12 X 50
Anschutz 1710 DKL w/ Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 VXIII
Anschutz 1518 Mannlicher w/ Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR VXII
jeretilda
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 16 Feb 2014, 8:26 pm

The Mauser style action definitely has a following of it's own.

That plays a big part in a lot of Ruger sales I have no doubt.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Old Fart » 16 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

Yup, the controlled feed crown wouldn't sully themselves with a Tikka or the like :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bristles1 » 24 Nov 2018, 3:08 pm

I've got 5 Sako's ( yeah I know) and one Ruger currently. They are different beasts, most of my Sakos are 40 years or older and made better when cost wasn't the primary consideration. The Rugers and I have had 2 are good rifles, just not the same quality as the Sakos but the shoot well, handle nicely and are good value for money. If you don't want to buy a new Sako and I am not that fussed on the new ones, older ones are still reasonable prices and they will last forever. Having said that I am not keen to sell my 30-06 Ruger, it is a good deer rifle and destroys pigs. Horses for courses, I know people who hand down Sakos from father to son, haven't heard of people doing that with Rugers though.
Bristles1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Nov 2018, 7:12 pm

Good to see you are going through some older threads, four years between posts is a fair gap.

For what it is worth, the Ruger #1 is my favourite rifle, one that you could hand down to your son or daughter.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 24 Nov 2018, 8:44 pm

I remember yrs ago rugrr were advertising guaranteed moa. Perhaps they still do ? Are there other production rifles that guarantee moa or better?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Nov 2018, 7:41 am

Yes quite a few, the new lithgows, howas for sure, possibly savage and tikka and sako and ruger. Some are moa, some are sub moa, some are even 5 shot sub moa

Most new guns are pretty accurate, as processes are so much better now.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 7:50 am

Trying to compare Sako to Ruger, is a bit like comparing a glass of XXXX Gold, to a glass of Steinlager ale.
They will both get you drunk with repeated application, but taste/cost/availability is markedly different.
[And many will tell you that BOTH taste like Cats wee!]

The Sako's(all were later models like 75's, 85's and TRG-22) I've handled have been beautifully finished, and I've been through periods of yearning for one or two.
But I'd also happily take a Ruger No. 1 any day as well.

If fit & finish are important to you, then the Sako's might be a good choice.
If functionality is more important, then there are dozens of more common bands of rifle that will shoot just as well as a Sako (if not better).
I dont like how expensive many of the accessories for the Sako's tend to be; certainly Sako-branded stuff is quite expensive.

Sako has had a lot of influence in the designs on the sporting rifle market. Their design of extractors has been extensively copied, and I have a feeling that one of their models was one of the first to offer the option to top-load a detachable magazine (75??).
And this morning, I read that the Howa 1500 action was originally based on the Sako L-61 Finnbear!

When my mate was getting into competition distance shooting, it seemed that European rifles (and Sako was one of the more available options) were considered to be inherently more accurate than the American products.
[Something about almost all US manufacturers had moved to computer-controlled machinery for boring barrels and actions?? - It's some years ago, and I dont quite remember]
However, by the time he gave the competition stuff away a few years back, there was well over 20% of the competitors taking the top gong with a Howa 1500.

Pretty sure the Ruger Precision Rifles are advertised as being MOA or better, though not sure if it's worded like that.

I own a Tikka T3(7mm-08), a Remington 700(.308), a Ruger Precision Rifle(.308), and a Howa 1500 (.223).
So we have the products from 3 different countries.
All of them have good & bad points (in my mind), but all of them will need minimal care to be handed down to the next generation.

Buy what you can afford/justify, tweak it to suit you, and get out there and shoot stuff; that's my suggestion.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Nov 2018, 9:26 am

Good explanation.. so according to that being moa is equivalent to being drunk ...hehe
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 9:48 am

i have recently traded a ruger scout in 308 with the 18" barrel on a sako A7 in 308. there was nothing wrong with the ruger, built like a tank, stainless action and barrel, it was fairly accurate, laminate stock and the trigger had been tweaked by it's former owner. it was a solid compact gun. BUT, it was not light for what it was, the bolt clearance was a bit close to the scope for my liking, and was nowhere near as slick or tight in the action as the sako. my stainless synthetic sako is lighter, and shoots a bit more accurately with the same factory ammo i tried. i found it doesn't like 150 gn hornady sst handloads, but shoots fantastic groups with 165 gn speer spbt handloads. i heard from another fella who owned a different brand of rifle his didn't like any 150's either. the A7 is halfway between a full sako, and a tikka t3. has a lot of great features and i like it a lot.the barrel/action is basically a 75 series with the awsome 85 trigger. the detachable mag has steel lips, and it's easy to top load with the mag in place. two features i like over a tikka.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 9:52 am

[quote="Ziad"]
Good explanation.. so according to that being moa is equivalent to being drunk ...hehe
[/quote]

Yep!
You can get plastered on the $10 box of 'Chateau Cardboard', or on a bottle of 50yo single-malt, but the end result is much the same!

[Of course; Quality of hangover the following day might be radically different, though...]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 10:01 am

i dunno fellas, getting trashed on a bottle of $100 bottle of single malt scotch is prefereable to a flagon of $10 cask red wine . you get what you pay for, it's sometimes not until much later that qaulity wins out over cost . JMHO :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 10:03 am

i put that to the test last night with a bit of jameson's irish whiskey :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Nov 2018, 10:18 am

Hey bigrich, if you're an Irish fan, try Teeling Small Batch.

I've long been fond of Bushmills Single Malt, but the Teeling is just as good in my opinion, and it's 46% to boot.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 11:32 am

Jemeson’s special reserve gaza. That or glenmorangie original highland single malt. Tallest still in Scotland and the last old old highland distillery. It’s that pure it’s like liqueur. If you mix it with coke a deranged highlander kicks your front door in , beats the snot out of you with a haggis, and confiscates ya bottle :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Nov 2018, 12:02 pm

bigrich wrote:Jemeson’s special reserve gaza. That or glenmorangie original highland single malt. Tallest still in Scotland and the last old old highland distillery. It’s that pure it’s like liqueur. If you mix it with coke a deranged highlander kicks your front door in , beats the snot out of you with a haggis, and confiscates ya bottle :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As it should be mate, coke indeed!

I had a stupid experience with Scotch in my teens and even now, more than 40yrs later, the smell is enough to set me gagging.

Irish on the other hand, mmmmmmm.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Nov 2018, 12:42 pm

That burnt “electronics” smell makes me gag as well...
A lot of ppl pleaded with me to run batches of scotch in my distilling days - peat moss was freely given for flavour profiles but I just couldn’t do it.
Made some nice molasses based rum in old sherry and old port barrels, corn based bourbons in Us oak barrels, juniper based gins, vodkas and everything in between - bar scotch lol

It is a great little hobby - very rewarding, initial outlay for equipment is not that bad and if using fresh base ingredients then it’s not expensive at all, but it takes a lot of time...dual or triple distilling batches thru pot stills or detuned reflux stills, sitting on the end of 60l stainless boiler - can take 6-8 hours per run...or longer if you try and get “cute”(95.6% being the ultimate target for s**ts and giggles - called azetrope, highest you can get out of normal still FYI)...then the ageing process...arrrgghhhh flashbacks help..argh.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 12:54 pm

the term "scotch" ,is pretty generic these days. a lot of people get put off by the 'orrible blended scotches like johnny walker and glen grant.that smell like sqaushed beetles. a good SINGLE MALT, like 12 year glenfiddich is my rock bottom standard. i'd rather drink less and save up my money for a qaulity drop. i try to apply that reasoning to my rifles as well. you only get what you pay for . or make, hey tas :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Nov 2018, 1:13 pm

Now here's where it gets weird for me bigrich.
I was after a bottle of Bushmills malt one day and there was none to be had.
I saw a botlle of Glenfiddich single malt, I considered the fact that it's basically the same process using basically the same raw ingredients, aged in the same fashion, so I bought it.
Perhaps it's a psychological thing, knowing it's "Scotch", perhaps it was the water as some claim, but I couldn't finish a single straight shot. So I sinned and adulterated it with the aforementioned cola product.
Still couldn't get it down me.
My brother in law was well pleased.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 2:47 pm

The standard Glenfiddich is utter utter utter crap.
Amazing that it's allowed to be sold as anything other than dry-cleaning fluid.

Havent tried the special reserve stuff; kinda offput by their standard offering.

When I was a youngster, I assumed thats what all single-malt tasted like, and I had that impression for well over 15 years.
It wasnt until I had an impromptu whiskey-tasting session with a very kind Scottish acquaintance, that I discovered the joys of Talisker, Oban, and Dalwhinnie (amongst others).
It was like night & day.
I'm sure there are better than these, but they are light-years beyond Glenfiddich.
AND; I can actually taste flavours between them!
I can also understand the need to avoid contaminating the purity of the brew with cola; I suspect the angry clansman might also molest the cat on his way out!
[And our cat's already dead!]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 3:04 pm

Yeah talisker is a nice drop, I think it’s from the western islands and has the “peat” taste to it. I dunno what glenfiddich you drunk rod, but half a bourbon glass of that, filled with ice, and left for 5 minutes before drinking is awesome. I bought some small batch 18 year glennfiddich that was aged using sherry casks. That’s some of the nicest scotch I’ve ever had
Last edited by bigrich on 25 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 3:06 pm

I better get back on topic, I have said scotch after cleaning my sako rifle or my ruger shotgun :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm

bigrich,

Are any of the whiskies here much chop?
https://singlemalt.com.au/shop/

They sometimes stock Tallisker and the other 3 brands in that chain (Oban, Dalwhinnie & one other), but they dont have any at the moment.
Any of the other brands available there worth the dollars?

I'd be interested to know; always good to have a decent bottle of single-malt or two in the cupboard.
[Sorry - dragged you off topic again...]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Nov 2018, 4:34 pm

Back on the off topic - this is bloody funny. Rich Patterson is class.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frRonhQdRdQ
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 4:38 am

Rod_outbak wrote:bigrich,

Are any of the whiskies here much chop?
https://singlemalt.com.au/shop/

They sometimes stock Tallisker and the other 3 brands in that chain (Oban, Dalwhinnie & one other), but they dont have any at the moment.
Any of the other brands available there worth the dollars?

I'd be interested to know; always good to have a decent bottle of single-malt or two in the cupboard.
[Sorry - dragged you off topic again...]

Out of the ones on that website, only the glenmorangie “ the original “, and the glen grant 10 years, have I tried. The glen grant “ majors reserve “is not a bad drop, and does go well with dry ginger ale. Which is the only mixer I use for scotch . Try Tasmanian scotch, lark or sullivan’s Cove. The Sullivan’s has won best international awards
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

Talisker or GlenLivet with rainwater ice cubes!!! Mmmmmm!! And if ya like irish Tullamore Dew "Phoenix" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 9:26 am

If you ever get a chance - pappy van winkle 15 years is something very special. There is also a 20 year for those with thicker wallets...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles