Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Nov 2018, 12:02 pm

bigrich wrote:Jemeson’s special reserve gaza. That or glenmorangie original highland single malt. Tallest still in Scotland and the last old old highland distillery. It’s that pure it’s like liqueur. If you mix it with coke a deranged highlander kicks your front door in , beats the snot out of you with a haggis, and confiscates ya bottle :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As it should be mate, coke indeed!

I had a stupid experience with Scotch in my teens and even now, more than 40yrs later, the smell is enough to set me gagging.

Irish on the other hand, mmmmmmm.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Nov 2018, 12:42 pm

That burnt “electronics” smell makes me gag as well...
A lot of ppl pleaded with me to run batches of scotch in my distilling days - peat moss was freely given for flavour profiles but I just couldn’t do it.
Made some nice molasses based rum in old sherry and old port barrels, corn based bourbons in Us oak barrels, juniper based gins, vodkas and everything in between - bar scotch lol

It is a great little hobby - very rewarding, initial outlay for equipment is not that bad and if using fresh base ingredients then it’s not expensive at all, but it takes a lot of time...dual or triple distilling batches thru pot stills or detuned reflux stills, sitting on the end of 60l stainless boiler - can take 6-8 hours per run...or longer if you try and get “cute”(95.6% being the ultimate target for s**ts and giggles - called azetrope, highest you can get out of normal still FYI)...then the ageing process...arrrgghhhh flashbacks help..argh.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 12:54 pm

the term "scotch" ,is pretty generic these days. a lot of people get put off by the 'orrible blended scotches like johnny walker and glen grant.that smell like sqaushed beetles. a good SINGLE MALT, like 12 year glenfiddich is my rock bottom standard. i'd rather drink less and save up my money for a qaulity drop. i try to apply that reasoning to my rifles as well. you only get what you pay for . or make, hey tas :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Nov 2018, 1:13 pm

Now here's where it gets weird for me bigrich.
I was after a bottle of Bushmills malt one day and there was none to be had.
I saw a botlle of Glenfiddich single malt, I considered the fact that it's basically the same process using basically the same raw ingredients, aged in the same fashion, so I bought it.
Perhaps it's a psychological thing, knowing it's "Scotch", perhaps it was the water as some claim, but I couldn't finish a single straight shot. So I sinned and adulterated it with the aforementioned cola product.
Still couldn't get it down me.
My brother in law was well pleased.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 2:47 pm

The standard Glenfiddich is utter utter utter crap.
Amazing that it's allowed to be sold as anything other than dry-cleaning fluid.

Havent tried the special reserve stuff; kinda offput by their standard offering.

When I was a youngster, I assumed thats what all single-malt tasted like, and I had that impression for well over 15 years.
It wasnt until I had an impromptu whiskey-tasting session with a very kind Scottish acquaintance, that I discovered the joys of Talisker, Oban, and Dalwhinnie (amongst others).
It was like night & day.
I'm sure there are better than these, but they are light-years beyond Glenfiddich.
AND; I can actually taste flavours between them!
I can also understand the need to avoid contaminating the purity of the brew with cola; I suspect the angry clansman might also molest the cat on his way out!
[And our cat's already dead!]
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 3:04 pm

Yeah talisker is a nice drop, I think it’s from the western islands and has the “peat” taste to it. I dunno what glenfiddich you drunk rod, but half a bourbon glass of that, filled with ice, and left for 5 minutes before drinking is awesome. I bought some small batch 18 year glennfiddich that was aged using sherry casks. That’s some of the nicest scotch I’ve ever had
Last edited by bigrich on 25 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 3:06 pm

I better get back on topic, I have said scotch after cleaning my sako rifle or my ruger shotgun :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm

bigrich,

Are any of the whiskies here much chop?
https://singlemalt.com.au/shop/

They sometimes stock Tallisker and the other 3 brands in that chain (Oban, Dalwhinnie & one other), but they dont have any at the moment.
Any of the other brands available there worth the dollars?

I'd be interested to know; always good to have a decent bottle of single-malt or two in the cupboard.
[Sorry - dragged you off topic again...]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Nov 2018, 4:34 pm

Back on the off topic - this is bloody funny. Rich Patterson is class.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frRonhQdRdQ
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 4:38 am

Rod_outbak wrote:bigrich,

Are any of the whiskies here much chop?
https://singlemalt.com.au/shop/

They sometimes stock Tallisker and the other 3 brands in that chain (Oban, Dalwhinnie & one other), but they dont have any at the moment.
Any of the other brands available there worth the dollars?

I'd be interested to know; always good to have a decent bottle of single-malt or two in the cupboard.
[Sorry - dragged you off topic again...]

Out of the ones on that website, only the glenmorangie “ the original “, and the glen grant 10 years, have I tried. The glen grant “ majors reserve “is not a bad drop, and does go well with dry ginger ale. Which is the only mixer I use for scotch . Try Tasmanian scotch, lark or sullivan’s Cove. The Sullivan’s has won best international awards
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

Talisker or GlenLivet with rainwater ice cubes!!! Mmmmmm!! And if ya like irish Tullamore Dew "Phoenix" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 9:26 am

If you ever get a chance - pappy van winkle 15 years is something very special. There is also a 20 year for those with thicker wallets...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Nov 2018, 9:56 am

I have heard the Tasmanian malts are quite good too. Never tried one, the $100+ price tag put me off.
I can live with giving my brother in law a $45 bottle of Glenfiddich, but a hundred bucks buys a lot of reloading supplies for the little .223.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 10:07 am

In my mind, opinion - having tried all of Bill Larks offerings - I think his awards have pressured prices at lest 30% higher than it should be - that and to some extent, I think it tastes sometimes....young....sharp.
Bills maturation process short cuts time from the process (with at least some of his award winning whiskey) - he uses 50l revamped barrels as opposed to 200l.
This gives a higher liquid to surface area, theoretically maturing the destill faster..,he has also messed around with sonic maturation and similar to expedite the final drink...can you taste it or is it placebo once you know...according to pro tasters, he has it nailed...but not to my liking but everyone is different.
Distillery tours are a great way of tasting produce and understanding processes...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 11:28 am

Wow tas , that’s really insightful and knowledgeable. I really excel at drinking the stuff and falling down :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 26 Nov 2018, 11:38 am

Oban 14 Year Old Scotch Whisky 700mL Single Malt
$127.00
Aberlour Highland 18-year-old single malt Scotch whisky 700ml
$187.00
Aberlour 12YO Scotch Whisky 700mL
$95.99
glenfiddich 12-year-old single malt Scotch whisky 350ml
$41.00 its still a scotch will still get you where you want to be .
For the Scotch drinkers may be a drop of water never ice and if you wish to ADD A soft drink go drink one but never in Scotch

This is the same as Sako an Ruger both are rifles both will do the job
I have 2 Ruger,s 22.250 and 243 M 77 and 1 Sako 308 in 75 pattern I handle them totally differently
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 26 Nov 2018, 3:55 pm

pomemax wrote: For the Scotch drinkers may be a drop of water never ice

Yeah that might work for you southern gentlemen. .but im sitting here in 43deg heat with around 85% humidity so I'm putting ice in my f@#kin scotch!!! Hell I'm putting it in my f@#kin BEER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Nov 2018, 4:26 pm

I see we are gunning for 46 here on Sunday (Longreach - QLD) - looking forward to that like a hole in the head!

We had 42 with a driving wind yesterday, and that sucked BIG time! Like living in a fan-forced oven...

Only (slight) positive is the humidity is only around 20%. 85% would kill me if it's above 40.

I saw in the camping shop they sold little cubes of rock that you freeze to put in your scotch, so you dont dilute the flavour!
WTF??
Who pays for the freaking dentist bill when someone forgets and tries to chew the ice??
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:04 pm

Daddybang wrote:
pomemax wrote: For the Scotch drinkers may be a drop of water never ice

Yeah that might work for you southern gentlemen. .but im sitting here in 43deg heat with around 85% humidity so I'm putting ice in my f@#kin scotch!!! Hell I'm putting it in my f@#kin BEER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

yeah well, that's north queensland for ya. ;) as for the southern gentlemen remark, i do declare , sah, you must be a damn yankee ! :lol: :thumbsup: with ice, :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:09 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I see we are gunning for 46 here on Sunday (Longreach - QLD) - looking forward to that like a hole in the head!

We had 42 with a driving wind yesterday, and that sucked BIG time! Like living in a fan-forced oven...

Only (slight) positive is the humidity is only around 20%. 85% would kill me if it's above 40.

I saw in the camping shop they sold little cubes of rock that you freeze to put in your scotch, so you dont dilute the flavour!
WTF??
Who pays for the freaking dentist bill when someone forgets and tries to chew the ice??

yeah, i've seen those to rod. too gimicky for me.i'll stick with real ice if i've got it , and to stay on topic, i just adjusted the sling swivel on my sako so it's straight. i think sako sling swivels are better than ruger ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: (with ice ) :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 5:16 pm

Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.
Back On topic - saw a sako yesterday :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.

don't mean to knit pick, but ragnar was during the viking conquests of britain in the ninth and tenth centuries. a lot of scots and some folk of irish blood probably have scandanavian genetics from this period. the saxons came from germany before the vikings and after the romans . eventually the decendants of vikings made sako's, and the decendandts of saxon's invented mausers, and some emigrated to america where they make rugers and put coke in there scotch, the barbarians ! i love history :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Nov 2018, 7:25 pm

For someone who doesn't drink... I actually enjoyed this thread and the video was both funny and informative
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm

Ziad wrote:For someone who doesn't drink... I actually enjoyed this thread and the video was both funny and informative

good for you ziad, not drinking means more money for guns and stuff :D i actually gave up drinking in my mid to late 20's, drinking was taking over so i quit for about five years to get my s@#t together. back to topic, i just full length resized some brass fired in my ruger 308, and it's extremely tight to chamber in my sako, or you cant get the bolt to close at all. got the die adjusted down far enough to put preasure on the case holder, and i've trimed back to minimum case length. have heard sako's have tight chambers. anyone else had this experience. or it might be my die :unknown: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 8:35 pm

YES!!! I had this happen a week ago in a 260!! Not a sako, but same issue. I was going to start a Q and thought, it would be just something stupid I’d done...so I didn’t ask.
I FL resized 50 some of my 260 cartridges and 1 in 10 WOULDNT bloody chamber...the rest would without issue - they all came from same bloomin die set.
When I investigated further - was mixed brass and yes, I know it shouldn’t have mattered, but it did and was...
The ones that wouldn’t close bolt on - i pulled bullet, resized AGAIN and reseated AGAIN and stuffed if I know why, they chambered without even a hint of issue. Confuses me now as to why...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 8:53 pm

bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.

don't mean to knit pick, but ragnar was during the viking conquests of britain in the ninth and tenth centuries. a lot of scots and some folk of irish blood probably have scandanavian genetics from this period. the saxons came from germany before the vikings and after the romans . eventually the decendants of vikings made sako's, and the decendandts of saxon's invented mausers, and some emigrated to america where they make rugers and put coke in there scotch, the barbarians ! i love history :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

I stand corrected!!! I’m watching this last kingdom Thing on Netflix and nowRagnar haunts me in my dreams...and someone named Ragnar apparently lives every century. But I don’t think he owned a sako.

Useless bit of trivia no 7890.
For those that have watched the u tube video you might be wondering why the first glass is 68% and why is it clear??

Well - I’m glad you asked. Science from a long time ago, proved that alcohol (ethanol) at drinking strength only soaked into the oak barrels, 3mm but as they upped the ABV, it reached further...but there was a point of diminishing returns, because the higher the ABV, the more evaporation loss one would experience (called the angels share).
63-65% was found to reach the furthest into the oak, thus release the most flavours and lose the least amount to the angels.
Why is it clear? Some might be surprised to learn that ALL whiskey, bourbon, almost all rums, etc - come off the still as clear - as in crystalk clear like nothing you have ever seen before! . They get ALL the colouring and a good portion of flavour, after the distilling process - via barrels, botanicals, mixes, etc.
edit - the 2nd follow up video actually tells this, I’d forgotten.

Much like a sako, where a Ruger is...who am I kidding...topic has gone off like a nuns nasty. Sorry to op.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 27 Nov 2018, 4:30 am

With regards to the brass tas, I think I’ll just bin the used brass, and get some fresh stuff to fire form for my sako. I’ve bin reloading federal brass, which doesn’t seem to bad. I think the issue with the brass not chambering is the case shoulder springing back, a extra push or two on the press must get it to where it needs to be
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 4:49 am

Thanks - makes sense. I’m still Learning a lot about REloading.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

Some interesting info there Tas,.

When I first started "shining" I thought, in my ignorance, that I could get away with just distilling once and that carbon filtering would see me through.

I was slightly right.
What I ended up with was clear and it was very potent. Alas it tasted like petrol and had to be mixed with something to make it palatable.

The big problem however, came the day after.
No hangover, but the grogbog from hell.
Like passing molten lead.

It's very time consuming, my still is a small 4lt air cooled unit that produces 800ml per run, so it can take a couple of months to get the the final triple distilled batch, but the end result of the extra time is certainly worth the effort.

I haven't bothered this year, but all this talk has me thinking.

If I get busy now, perhaps by winter..........
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

I think there is a lot of similarities between new shooters and new distillers...you just don’t know, what you don’t know...new shooters try and buy cheap scopes, new cheap rifles and then learn over time. Same same.

Those air stills are an interesting setup designed for use with home brew mixers and turbo (bad) yeasts known to survive 20% ABV. Those turbo yeasts were designed by petro chemists for the fuel industry....the more output the better. They are not good for you and are probably responsible for damaging your loo!!!

When you do everything from scratch (converting starches, not adding sugar), 7-8% ABV is a dream run and the taste is worth the outcome. But it’s hard.

With a simple bakers yeast, sugar wash, I’d often see 11% - pull that through a tuned boKa head for 94-95% of 60litres...you end up with 12-14 litres of 44-46% neutral vodka. Take the hearts from that, and it’s an easy 10 litres of good stuff. (Heads and tails of the destilliate) is where petrol (heads) creep in and tails (wet dog) is open to taste.
But if you only have small quantities- it’s hard to take cuts and disregard 30% to get the best stuff - but omg...the difference is huge. 1st head jar = petrol. 5th collect jar - is literally like a fluffy cream...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles