Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ruger level vs Sako level rifles

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:04 pm

Daddybang wrote:
pomemax wrote: For the Scotch drinkers may be a drop of water never ice

Yeah that might work for you southern gentlemen. .but im sitting here in 43deg heat with around 85% humidity so I'm putting ice in my f@#kin scotch!!! Hell I'm putting it in my f@#kin BEER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

yeah well, that's north queensland for ya. ;) as for the southern gentlemen remark, i do declare , sah, you must be a damn yankee ! :lol: :thumbsup: with ice, :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:09 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I see we are gunning for 46 here on Sunday (Longreach - QLD) - looking forward to that like a hole in the head!

We had 42 with a driving wind yesterday, and that sucked BIG time! Like living in a fan-forced oven...

Only (slight) positive is the humidity is only around 20%. 85% would kill me if it's above 40.

I saw in the camping shop they sold little cubes of rock that you freeze to put in your scotch, so you dont dilute the flavour!
WTF??
Who pays for the freaking dentist bill when someone forgets and tries to chew the ice??

yeah, i've seen those to rod. too gimicky for me.i'll stick with real ice if i've got it , and to stay on topic, i just adjusted the sling swivel on my sako so it's straight. i think sako sling swivels are better than ruger ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: (with ice ) :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 5:16 pm

Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.
Back On topic - saw a sako yesterday :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 5:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.

don't mean to knit pick, but ragnar was during the viking conquests of britain in the ninth and tenth centuries. a lot of scots and some folk of irish blood probably have scandanavian genetics from this period. the saxons came from germany before the vikings and after the romans . eventually the decendants of vikings made sako's, and the decendandts of saxon's invented mausers, and some emigrated to america where they make rugers and put coke in there scotch, the barbarians ! i love history :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Nov 2018, 7:25 pm

For someone who doesn't drink... I actually enjoyed this thread and the video was both funny and informative
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm

Ziad wrote:For someone who doesn't drink... I actually enjoyed this thread and the video was both funny and informative

good for you ziad, not drinking means more money for guns and stuff :D i actually gave up drinking in my mid to late 20's, drinking was taking over so i quit for about five years to get my s@#t together. back to topic, i just full length resized some brass fired in my ruger 308, and it's extremely tight to chamber in my sako, or you cant get the bolt to close at all. got the die adjusted down far enough to put preasure on the case holder, and i've trimed back to minimum case length. have heard sako's have tight chambers. anyone else had this experience. or it might be my die :unknown: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 8:35 pm

YES!!! I had this happen a week ago in a 260!! Not a sako, but same issue. I was going to start a Q and thought, it would be just something stupid I’d done...so I didn’t ask.
I FL resized 50 some of my 260 cartridges and 1 in 10 WOULDNT bloody chamber...the rest would without issue - they all came from same bloomin die set.
When I investigated further - was mixed brass and yes, I know it shouldn’t have mattered, but it did and was...
The ones that wouldn’t close bolt on - i pulled bullet, resized AGAIN and reseated AGAIN and stuffed if I know why, they chambered without even a hint of issue. Confuses me now as to why...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 8:53 pm

bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Scotch on the rocks? - rumour is that it came from the saxons, putting small chilled river rocks in their drinks in Ragnar times.

don't mean to knit pick, but ragnar was during the viking conquests of britain in the ninth and tenth centuries. a lot of scots and some folk of irish blood probably have scandanavian genetics from this period. the saxons came from germany before the vikings and after the romans . eventually the decendants of vikings made sako's, and the decendandts of saxon's invented mausers, and some emigrated to america where they make rugers and put coke in there scotch, the barbarians ! i love history :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

I stand corrected!!! I’m watching this last kingdom Thing on Netflix and nowRagnar haunts me in my dreams...and someone named Ragnar apparently lives every century. But I don’t think he owned a sako.

Useless bit of trivia no 7890.
For those that have watched the u tube video you might be wondering why the first glass is 68% and why is it clear??

Well - I’m glad you asked. Science from a long time ago, proved that alcohol (ethanol) at drinking strength only soaked into the oak barrels, 3mm but as they upped the ABV, it reached further...but there was a point of diminishing returns, because the higher the ABV, the more evaporation loss one would experience (called the angels share).
63-65% was found to reach the furthest into the oak, thus release the most flavours and lose the least amount to the angels.
Why is it clear? Some might be surprised to learn that ALL whiskey, bourbon, almost all rums, etc - come off the still as clear - as in crystalk clear like nothing you have ever seen before! . They get ALL the colouring and a good portion of flavour, after the distilling process - via barrels, botanicals, mixes, etc.
edit - the 2nd follow up video actually tells this, I’d forgotten.

Much like a sako, where a Ruger is...who am I kidding...topic has gone off like a nuns nasty. Sorry to op.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 27 Nov 2018, 4:30 am

With regards to the brass tas, I think I’ll just bin the used brass, and get some fresh stuff to fire form for my sako. I’ve bin reloading federal brass, which doesn’t seem to bad. I think the issue with the brass not chambering is the case shoulder springing back, a extra push or two on the press must get it to where it needs to be
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 4:49 am

Thanks - makes sense. I’m still Learning a lot about REloading.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

Some interesting info there Tas,.

When I first started "shining" I thought, in my ignorance, that I could get away with just distilling once and that carbon filtering would see me through.

I was slightly right.
What I ended up with was clear and it was very potent. Alas it tasted like petrol and had to be mixed with something to make it palatable.

The big problem however, came the day after.
No hangover, but the grogbog from hell.
Like passing molten lead.

It's very time consuming, my still is a small 4lt air cooled unit that produces 800ml per run, so it can take a couple of months to get the the final triple distilled batch, but the end result of the extra time is certainly worth the effort.

I haven't bothered this year, but all this talk has me thinking.

If I get busy now, perhaps by winter..........
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

I think there is a lot of similarities between new shooters and new distillers...you just don’t know, what you don’t know...new shooters try and buy cheap scopes, new cheap rifles and then learn over time. Same same.

Those air stills are an interesting setup designed for use with home brew mixers and turbo (bad) yeasts known to survive 20% ABV. Those turbo yeasts were designed by petro chemists for the fuel industry....the more output the better. They are not good for you and are probably responsible for damaging your loo!!!

When you do everything from scratch (converting starches, not adding sugar), 7-8% ABV is a dream run and the taste is worth the outcome. But it’s hard.

With a simple bakers yeast, sugar wash, I’d often see 11% - pull that through a tuned boKa head for 94-95% of 60litres...you end up with 12-14 litres of 44-46% neutral vodka. Take the hearts from that, and it’s an easy 10 litres of good stuff. (Heads and tails of the destilliate) is where petrol (heads) creep in and tails (wet dog) is open to taste.
But if you only have small quantities- it’s hard to take cuts and disregard 30% to get the best stuff - but omg...the difference is huge. 1st head jar = petrol. 5th collect jar - is literally like a fluffy cream...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Nov 2018, 11:12 am

Bakers yeast is what I've been using and plain white sugar, I'd heard similar negative reports on the turbos.

The economy of larger scale would be far better.

I discard the first 50ml, but hadn't bothered discarding the last.

You're right, just as with reloading, the more I learn the more I find how little I really know.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Nov 2018, 4:21 pm

geez fellas, we should change the name of this forum to "enough hillbilly". all this talk about guns and stills :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: i do wanna move to hazzard county but. jumping creeks in a dodge charger, free 'shine, and jelly wrestling with daisy duke :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

Farkin lolz
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles