recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2019, 7:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Where is the OP?


Went looking for a rifle & got lost...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 2649
South Australia

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by in2anity » 24 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

A bolt gun. With a nice heavy barrel. But not too long. And as much on optics as yu payed for the rifle. Then, when you get small groups outa yu system, and realize how much it sucks lugging around a heavy gun, get a whippy (but quality) sporter that’ll put meat in the freezer.
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1324
New South Wales

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 7:03 am

TassieTiger wrote:Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!
Will knock a lot of sense in to you and then you can sell it cheapvto me.

Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2019, 7:25 am

[quote="Ziad"
Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua[/quote]

That is strange, I bought 338 Lapua Redding dies for $190. The Lapua is cheaper to load for than a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Check out the price of Weatherby loaded ammunition.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1470
New South Wales

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2019, 7:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:[quote="Ziad"
Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua


That is strange, I bought 338 Lapua Redding dies for $190. The Lapua is cheaper to load for than a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Check out the price of Weatherby loaded ammunition.[/quote]

Everything with Weatherby stamped on it is way overpriced IMO. :unknown:
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5990
-

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

Maybe they are the match type s dies or competition dies he was talking about from a local shop...or maybe he was taking outta his arse.... I was just happy to shoot a few rounds outta a sako trg in 338, I wasn't gonna grill him too much.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 7:40 am

I am just now recovering from buying forster 6br dies ($340).... but it shoots like a laser and kicks like a 22mag.... so I don't really care
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

Ziad wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!
Will knock a lot of sense in to you and then you can sell it cheapvto me.

Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua


Most of Rcbs and hornady and similar dies for 338 on eBay are $150...
Brass is not overly cheap but not too bad compared to similar size. I’d take an absolute guess that it would cost about 1.50 - 2.00 a reload ?
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 8:31 am

Hey you are talking to someone who has a sako trg in 338 lapua the bipod on it is like 1k (not sure if its worth that)....I don't think he would consider lee or hornady dies.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 8:40 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Ziad wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!
Will knock a lot of sense in to you and then you can sell it cheapvto me.

Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua


Most of Rcbs and hornady and similar dies for 338 on eBay are $150...
Brass is not overly cheap but not too bad compared to similar size. I’d take an absolute guess that it would cost about 1.50 - 2.00 a reload ?


I doubt too many people are shooting .338Lapua for $2 a shot, probably $3 is more realistic for budget shooting.
Will depend largely on the bullet you choose. 250gn Nosler Partition is about $2.50 apiece, Barnes are $2 apiece. Speer Hot-Cors are probably the cheapest at about a buck apiece.
Lapua brass are about $6 apiece, so you'd want to get a dozen loads per case minimum.
And each load runs about 80-100gn of powder, or about 150rds per kg.

But with something like this I don't suppose most owners are going to shoot it more than a few hundred times a year in competition, and a whole lot less in hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5733
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

Plus probably their shoulders hurt after every range session.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 9:35 am

some gun shop needs to set up in an large acreage...so you can try before you buy.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by in2anity » 25 Jan 2019, 10:05 am

TassieTiger wrote:some gun shop needs to set up in an large acreage...so you can try before you buy.

in Pakistan you just shoot off the roof of the shop into the surrounding hills ;)
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1324
New South Wales

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by MackDaddy » 25 Jan 2019, 10:18 am

Thanks guys!

I already have a .22 but want to step it up a level.

I'll most likely get a 243. I like the Lithgow LA 102 but it might be too heavy for me and plus I am a small bloke!

Something lightweight in 243 would be ideal.
MackDaddy
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 4
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by JimTom » 25 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

Tikka T3x if the Lithgow is to heavy mate. I recommended the Lithgow in a prior post as you said you wanted a rifle for both hunting and target.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1029
Queensland

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 10:57 am

I’ll second the t3x.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 11:31 am

in2anity wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:some gun shop needs to set up in an large acreage...so you can try before you buy.

in Pakistan you just shoot off the roof of the shop into the surrounding hills ;)


I am sure they allow practice shooting of real life targets... living
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1275
Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 11:42 am

Speaking of which - one of the funniest 5 mins of JJ I’ve seen.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMB6W2jK6a0
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1664
Tasmania

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles