Winchester model 70

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Winchester model 70

Post by Dossa456 » 28 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

I’ve lost a bit of sleep over this gun and considering turning it into a bit of a project.

Any advice on a decent barrel and what brand do people lean towards? I’ll be going for 257 Roberts.
Advice on companies in SA to do the work?
Roughly an indication on cost for barrel and fitting?

I would give the timber a sprouce up myself I enjoy doing stocks.
Cheer Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by bigrich » 28 Feb 2019, 8:42 pm

i'll be keen to hear how this project comes out dossa :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Mar 2019, 9:56 am

I can't help with recommending anyone in S.A, but a re-barrel job won't leave much change out of $1000. ( For a quality stainless barrel anyway )
You have to decide if that's what you want to put into it.
As for the .257 Roberts, it is a great round for most shooting in Australia. You can load up light ( 75gr ) bullets for varminting, 87 - 100gr for medium game, through to heavier (115 -120gr) for bigger pigs and deer. ( bear in mind it is under minimum caliber for the larger species of deer where such caliber restrictions apply.)
Get a 1 in 10" twist, pretty standard for .25 cal. With the right load and application, it can be a great hunting round out to 400m.
P.S. I actually used my .257 Roberts for silhouette when I first started in the sport and never failed to knock down any 500m rams that I hit with 120gr Speer hunting bullets.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 01 Mar 2019, 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice :)
I’ve got a 270 for the deer hunting I do so I’m covered there.
Hmm decisions to make.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Return to Centerfire rifles