Choices choices.....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Choices choices.....

Post by Chappo » 19 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm

Ok, I didn’t want to start another “what should I buy” thread but I’ve filled my head with too many stats over the last couple of months and annoyed too many gun shop owners with too many questions and I’m Getting further from a decision :crazy:

I wanna do more walking / stalking and not just driving around so I’m after a light rifle and I’m thinking either 22-250 or 243. I’ll be hunting roos and foxes mostly in open country 150-300yd shots with factory ammo.

I know you’re all gonna say tikka and I agree it’s probaby the best option but my mate bought one so I wanted something different.

Prefer timber / blued but will consider cerekoted
Light as possible, 3kg or less?
Threaded barrel
New or second hand
$1,500 ( but cheaper would be better)

New I’ve looked at the browning x bolt, Tikka T3, Howa, la102 etc

Second hand I’ve considered old sako’s, and the win m70 featherweight (favourite so far) and I’m not saying I’m ruling any of these out but does anyone have any other ideas? Or experience with?
Last edited by Chappo on 19 Feb 2019, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Choices choices.....

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2019, 7:49 pm

Win 70 featherweight in 243 for the win. Still not ridiculously light. Another option,which I feel is equal or better is the Remington model 7.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 19 Feb 2019, 8:07 pm

I know you said you know we're going to say it......so i'm going to say it.....Tikka, for the money they're hard to beat. I just ordered another one in 300wm the other day.
Or maybe a nice second hand Sako if you can find a good one in your budget.
While you're looking around don't get too hung up if the gun you want doesn't have a threaded barrel, you can get it done with a cap for usually about $100-150.
Happy hunting!!
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

What about 22-250 cal I have a ruger american predator doing nothing I have been contemplating selling for a while now since I got my 222. Have a fair bit of ammo I think - haven’t done a stock take for a while!
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Chappo » 19 Feb 2019, 8:13 pm

Yep I reckon having some work done like threading a barrel will be on the cards so I guess I’m looking for the closest thing and then customising.

Big Pete, Thanks for the suggestion about the model 7, I’ll do some research. I don’t know much about the remingtons. There seems to be plenty of 700’s for sale. Where they any good?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 19 Feb 2019, 8:20 pm

Tikka T3x in .243 mate. Value for money is spot on.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:25 pm

Forgot to mention the ruger American predator is lightweight and has a threaded barrel. :drinks:
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Chappo » 19 Feb 2019, 8:26 pm

Dossa456 wrote:What about 22-250 cal I have a ruger american predator doing nothing I have been contemplating selling for a while now since I got my 222. Have a fair bit of ammo I think - haven’t done a stock take for a while!

Thanks doos
Aren’t they synthetic?
I see the practical side of synthetics and I don’t hate them I’m just a bit of a traditionalist.
Doesn’t bother me if it’s fancy and new or scratched up, I’m just after quality built, a pleasure to use and no plastic bits.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:32 pm

Yea mate- some of the reasons why I don’t really shoot it anymore. Lol good luck with the decisions. Be sure to let us know what you end up with :drinks:
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:49 pm

Sako 75 in 22/250 , almost a Tikka with no lightweight plastic bits.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 19 Feb 2019, 9:03 pm

The 22-250 should shoot flatter with 55 grain pills than a 243 with 65 grainers. Either will kill Roos and foxes very emphatically. Just remember to comply with the roo shooting laws you have to head shoot only and keep the range at 200 metres or below. What about a Sauer? They do a wood stocked rifle in your preferred calibre in your price range. There is also a Mauser in your price range but it has a synthetic stock.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 19 Feb 2019, 10:21 pm

Well for what you describe you need it for, a 22-250 is more than plenty of gun... :thumbsup:

As for brand & model, im not much help because i hav a T3 with a fluted sporter barrel in 22-250...
I have a decent weight scope on it & its still light as... :thumbsup:

Sako would be nice...ability to top load would be nice... :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 19 Feb 2019, 10:29 pm

Id go for a tikka super lite in 308 or a howa 1500 love my tikkas and have fallen in love with my howa also. Love the ability to top feed the howa but the refinment on the tikka is hard to go past. The cost difference in the howa wond enable you to cerakote the rifle also. My howa shoots great it took a little bit of tinkering to make it that way but its great shooter dead rabbits @200. Topped it off with a 4-12. You have some thinking to do. You could go for a sako 85 love mine to death accurate but dear as poison.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Feb 2019, 4:56 am

Chappo wrote:Yep I reckon having some work done like threading a barrel will be on the cards so I guess I’m looking for the closest thing and then customising.

Big Pete, Thanks for the suggestion about the model 7, I’ll do some research. I don’t know much about the remingtons. There seems to be plenty of 700’s for sale. Where they any good?

The one I had was absolutely beautiful. And fairly accurate,more than accurate enough for a hunting rifle. I was getting slightly over 1" groups for 5 shots with most of the ammo I shot through it. Seemed to favour 110gn v max handloads (308)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by PaddyT » 20 Feb 2019, 7:40 am

Tikka M55- my neighbour has one in 22-250- bought from govt auction years ago- ex police and SAS urban sniper rifle-its very nice to say the least- there is one on OZ Gun Sales for $750
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 20 Feb 2019, 8:43 am

I second the M70 Featherweight in .243W

Absolutely beautiful rifles, with a traditional style milled square receiver with integral recoil lug and controlled round feed.

A Tikka is nice but when you see all the admittedly very clever cost cutting measures in the design of the receiver / recoil lug system I find it hard to justify the price of the timber versions ~$1500 over the current production FN built M70 at about the same price.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2019, 9:25 am

I'm with BigPete and Kumabear :thumbsup: :drinks:
My mod 70 featherweight classic in .243 is my favorite rifle and has never let me down.
I won't try to say it's "better" than the other suggestions but it IS a proven reliable performer that's light enough to carry all day in the heat and humidity of the tropics. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Feb 2019, 10:27 am

and again the win 243 in featherweight :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Feb 2019, 10:39 am

I got two model 70’s , I love them. The most accurate, light weight, capable rifle I had was a A7 sako in 308 . Paid $1300 for it second hand. I don’t have much use for a 308, 6.5x55 Winchester does well for me. There’s a lot of good choices in the second hand market, it can be a gamble that you’re not buying someone else’s problem though. Example, tassie tigers 30-06 steyr. It’ll probably end up being sold as a shop soiled demo to someone
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Feb 2019, 11:58 am

Yes - Id personally stay away from the STEYR pro hunter light weight range(any caliber)...for a number of reasons.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Chappo » 20 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

bigpete wrote:
The one I had was absolutely beautiful. And fairly accurate,more than accurate enough for a hunting rifle. I was getting slightly over 1" groups for 5 shots with most of the ammo I shot through it. Seemed to favour 110gn v max handloads (308)

Beautiful looking bit of kit!
Did a bit of reading today though and it seems they were not very accurate with factory ammo.
Shame cause they are very nice to look at!!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 20 Feb 2019, 4:13 pm

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=141102

I’m tempted to ring this bloke and ask him why he considers this a “farm gun or project rifle”
For the right price it may be ok if it didn’t need much work.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Feb 2019, 5:32 pm

JSS wrote:I know you said you know we're going to say it......so i'm going to say it.....Tikka, for the money they're hard to beat. I just ordered another one in 300wm the other day.
Or maybe a nice second hand Sako if you can find a good one in your budget.
While you're looking around don't get too hung up if the gun you want doesn't have a threaded barrel, you can get it done with a cap for usually about $100-150.
Happy hunting!!

What barrel weight are you getting in the 300 wm and how’s the accuracy for that weight barrel??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 20 Feb 2019, 5:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Yes - Id personally stay away from the STEYR pro hunter light weight range(any caliber)...for a number of reasons.

Geez, taz. Speak of the devil..... :lol: . After the way they treated you I’m not to keen on getting a steyr . Just goes to show but, no garuntee of a good shooter even on new stuff . Hope you’re circumstances have improved tas
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Feb 2019, 5:41 pm

Chappo wrote:https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=141102

I’m tempted to ring this bloke and ask him why he considers this a “farm gun or project rifle”
For the right price it may be ok if it didn’t need much work.

Looks like a good one. Might be worth a phone call
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 01 Mar 2019, 6:28 pm

Put a deposit on a new rifle today......

Drum roll..............,,

Winchester m70 featherweight 22-250 :o

Couldn’t go past a $1800 dollar quote from my lgs.
And considering the tikka’s have recently gone up to about 15-1600 it was more easily justified.
Apparently I’m buying one of the last 250’s before they’re discontinued.
It’ll be a month or more on laybuy once I pay for it and a scope, mounts etc but I’m excited!
Thanks for all the feedback :drinks:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 01 Mar 2019, 6:56 pm

Congrats mate, it's always fun when a new toy's on it's way. :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 01 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm

Nice one mate. Let us know how it goes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2019, 6:57 am

Good choice chappo looking forward to seeing how she shoots for ya!!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2019, 9:15 am

Chappo wrote:Put a deposit on a new rifle today......

Drum roll..............,,

Winchester m70 featherweight 22-250 :o

Couldn’t go past a $1800 dollar quote from my lgs.
And considering the tikka’s have recently gone up to about 15-1600 it was more easily justified.
Apparently I’m buying one of the last 250’s before they’re discontinued.
It’ll be a month or more on laybuy once I pay for it and a scope, mounts etc but I’m excited!
Thanks for all the feedback :drinks:

Ah, the anxiety shift...!!

For the time you deliberate on rifle & cartridge, the anxiety builds, & you look forward to making a decision so the anxiety ends...

Then when you finally make the decision the anxiety doesnt end...it shifts up another gear cos you just want to shoot it...!!! :lol:

Congratulations Chappo... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles