Howa mini in 6 mm ppc

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa mini in 6 mm ppc

Post by andym79 » 26 Feb 2019, 12:07 pm

I guys I am looking a building a 6 mm ppc but for hunting and informal target shooting, I have seen some Howa minis in 7.63x39 pretty cheap, it should just be a re barrel to turn it into a 6 mm ppc.

A Howa mini in 6mm ppc looks interesting, do you think it would be anywhere near as accurate as a rail gun?

The only thing putting me of doing it is the neck turning, most smiths I have spoke to have a 262 neck on their reamers. Could one of those and a 243 n&t reamer be used to make a no neck turn chamber? Or better to get a PTG 269 neck?

Is the Howa mini up to the pressure?

What do you think?

Or get a 243 and convert it to 6mm BR? Would it feed okay from the magazine though as the 6mm br is a lot shorter?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Howa mini in 6 mm ppc

Post by marksman » 26 Feb 2019, 3:16 pm

off the top of my head I think you would be better off with a howa 243 rechambered to 6mm br so you could utilise the longer heavier projectile's

your idea intrigues me but I think you would be stuck with a short oal so only light weight bullets could be used
in a walk around hunter you would be better off without a fitted neck IMO

what I think about it anyway :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 26 Feb 2019, 4:26 pm

The 6mm ppc would work on the howa mini but would the 6mm br fed ok in a 243 action being 1/2/ shorter than the 243?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

Considering the cost of 6mmbr lapua cases...I can predict you will be b.c. really mad if you lost one or two while varminting. I seen a howa rechambered to 6br and feeds by a polymer mag.

I dunno much about ppc except it's really good benchrest at 100m. Dunno what it does at 200 or 300m. I would be interested in your project
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Feb 2019, 7:09 pm

You can get your smith to open up the neck to a tight but no turn which is preferable to a .262. A 6mm PPC will shoot very well with light pills from a Howa action perhaps in the low .200 with the right stock but rail guns are purpose built and those type of results may be a bridge too far.

I would and have rechambered rifles in 6mm BR, with a 1:8 barrel you can shoot heavy pills and do well at short and medium to longer range. One Tikka has shot a best group of .181 and a ton of groups in the .200s. Get your hands on any 308 head stamped rifle and a competent gun smith and you will love the result.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 26 Feb 2019, 7:58 pm

Would you say Howa are a better bet than budget Ruger or Savage rifles? I am not fussy about looks as I am looking for an accurate utility gun, barrel quality isn't important as its getting a Krieger anyway; but as to action whats the best budget one and which feeds best?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Feb 2019, 8:16 pm

I think howa action is very good.... but as someone said if you ever want to sell it people don't p as y very much cuz impression is that howa is a cheap gun... compared to say a tikka
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Feb 2019, 8:49 pm

andym79 wrote:The 6mm ppc would work on the howa mini but would the 6mm br fed ok in a 243 action being 1/2/ shorter than the 243?

the 6mm br would feed perfectly especially in a removable mag box, what you get though is the longer mag length for seating projectiles out :thumbsup:
you would save on the barrel cost and should be paying around $250 for a rechamber job by a good smith :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Feb 2019, 9:04 pm

I have seen many very accurate rifles using the Howa action, with a good barrel you be shooting as well as anything else. You can buy barrelled actions for $500 and fit your barrel from there. Trigger needs a bit of work but they are easier to work on than the Savage.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heffdojo7 » 27 Feb 2019, 9:02 am

Gidday, I have 3 rifles built off Howa actions. One is the mini action which I rebarrelled a 16inch 223. Very under rated. Very accurate and require little work. They have a lot of aftermarket support with plenty of stocks etc. I give them a big thumbs up. cheers.
Heffdojo7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 27 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm

another fan of the howa mini action, got 1 of the 1st batch 223 HB and it loved OSA 55gr, regular 0.5moa 5 shot groups, sold it to mate for his fox problem. First mini in chassis at 1 stage

Currently shooting a Sporter 6.5 Grendel and after bedding job and a 2lb trigger spring kit Ive got it shooting more consistently despite the short comings of the plastic bottom metal and ave stock.

Ive got another mini HB 6.5 Grendel on the way and plan is to do more long range work out to 600m, informal range work and hunting. This will be dropped into a chassis with something like a Sightron Stac 4-20 MOA 2 on top. Do rate, easy trigger up grade and the actions slicks up nicely, action seems to handle pressure well and havent had a single issue with either rifle. Do wish they has flush bottom metal as an option.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles