My first Tikka

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My first Tikka

Post by Lorgar » 02 Feb 2014, 8:26 am

Well, I've finally be convinced into my first Tikka :D

I was tossing up between the Hunter Stainless for the Fluted barrel, and the Forest for the roll over cheek piece. Either way in 7mm-08.

Happily the guy at my local store was willing to swap a few bits around for me and give me the fluted barrel in the Forest stock :D

It pays to make a friend at your LGS, he shoots a 7mm-08 too and gave me his load data he'd worked up as well.

50 rounds of 2 loads all pressed and waiting for when I pick it up this Saturday :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: My first Tikka

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Feb 2014, 9:49 am

Two General questions, what's with the enormous scope on it & why would you order a sako in the same cal?
Member-Deleted

Post by Chronos » 02 Feb 2014, 9:54 am

Good stuff Lorgar. I'm a tikka owner but also a 7-08 fan.

If you use quality brass and do your prep well I'm sure the rifle will shoot very well.

My loads work in my rifle (stainless Varmint) but you will need to find THAT load for your chosen bullet.

Also don't get carried away with seating them long. I've never failed to get an accurate load when loading to magazine length

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by inervate » 02 Feb 2014, 9:57 am

Welcome to the club :D
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

Jaso wrote:Two General questions, what's with the enormous scope on it & why would you order a sako in the same cal?

I've just ordered the Sako a few days ago, but it's going to be 6 months before it gets here.

At the moment my .308 is "my" rifle and the .243 is my partners.

I'm selling my .308 now and using the Tikka until the Sako arrives.

Then I'll be taking the Sako and giving her the Tikka (and selling the .243 - the problem with the .243 is she's not allowed to shoot Sambar/Rusa/Red deer down here with it.)

A bit of a process, but at the end if it we'll both have rifles for all deer down here, I'll have the Sako, and she'll have the cheaper Tikka. She doesn't shoot that much so not justified spending anything more on it.

RE: The scope - It's my 'do-it-all-scope'. Obviously the top 2/3rds magnification is wasted for hunting, I only ever have it on 4-10x max in the field, the rest for fun at the range.

In time I'm going to add a bench rifle to the safe and the 4-30x will go on the bench rifle. I plan to get the same scope in the 2.5-16x version when that happens for the hunting rifle.

I like the scope anyway and it does the job :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tiki » 02 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

Lorgar wrote:I like the scope anyway and it does the job :D

Don't they say overkill is underrated? ;)
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Feb 2014, 4:27 pm

Wow, there is no way I would go to all that trouble. There is a nice sako 7mm-08 on usedguns. If you buy that you could make the cook feel special by having the same brand of rifle as you, it's about the same price as the tikka. I am curious about the 08 though. Let me know how it goes please. I took the 25-06 tikka out yeasterday & tried two types of ammo. Not fantastic but it will do the job until I can find something else. Image
Member-Deleted

Post by Lorgar » 02 Feb 2014, 9:37 pm

Jaso wrote:I am curious about the 08 though. Let me know how it goes please.

Sure, will do.

I've got some 120gr and 140gr ballistic tips loaded up. I'll post some initial results next weekend and get to fine tuning in due course too.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 03 Feb 2014, 4:19 am

That's a good buy. You wont be sorry you bought a Tikka! I bought my model 55 .222 in 1981 (It cost an entire months pay cheque - in fact my first pay cheque having just left school) and it'll still shoots MOA. Just needs a new spring under the extractor hook atm.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 03 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

Noisydad wrote:That's a good buy. You wont be sorry you bought a Tikka! I bought my model 55 .222 in 1981 (It cost an entire months pay cheque - in fact my first pay cheque having just left school) and it'll still shoots MOA.

I'm sure it will shoot great.

As this is going to be a dedicated stalking rifle I wanted the weigh reduction from a fluted barrel and the roll over cheek piece for faster/better shouldering while on walkabout.

The Tikka was the best tool for job, all things considered, so that's the one I got. Taking tomorrow off now to go and pick it up instead of waiting until Saturday :D

The main reason I bought my Ruger's way-back-when was for the top-feed ability and Mauser action - I know not everyone's a fan of controlled-feed but I like it.

A bit of consumer feedback for Tikka, if they can shoehorn in a top-feed Mauser action into the "T4" I reckon they'll have the perfect hunting rifle :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles