Budget 243

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Budget 243

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Feb 2019, 1:23 pm

Is second hand an option that you would consider. Not nine, just saw it and thought......

Screenshot_20190227-135140.png
Screenshot_20190227-135140.png (474.21 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2019, 3:01 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Perhaps but well worth the extra money. Still a budget rifle and will shoot right out of the box. By the time you go back and forth from your gunsmith with the others on your list trying to get them to shoot, the Tikka will end up cheaper.

You haven't owned a Ruger american I'm guessing? No gunsmith required, MoA or better straight out of their boxes. $10 rings, $300 scope and a lifetime of outstanding shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Feb 2019, 4:26 pm

I’d say you can get a dud in any brand, at any price point - I most certainly did with a steyr...so the Q is what gives you the best chance of getting a shooter? Get an accuracy guarantee regardless of brand you choose.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Feb 2019, 7:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Perhaps but well worth the extra money. Still a budget rifle and will shoot right out of the box. By the time you go back and forth from your gunsmith with the others on your list trying to get them to shoot, the Tikka will end up cheaper.

You haven't owned a Ruger american I'm guessing? No gunsmith required, MoA or better straight out of their boxes. $10 rings, $300 scope and a lifetime of outstanding shooting.

Yes I have heard that guys are getting good results from Ruger but I have not seen this personally. I love my Rugers, not that I have an American, but I load for five Tikka T3 of different calibers which all shoot 1/4 inch or better. I have not seen other factory rifles that will do that.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Feb 2019, 8:40 pm

deye243 wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
andym79 wrote:Don't Tikka cost double what those on my list do?

Perhaps but well worth the extra money. Still a budget rifle and will shoot right out of the box. By the time you go back and forth from your gunsmith with the others on your list trying to get them to shoot, the Tikka will end up cheaper.

The only thing on the list that could be recommended with confidence is a Howa, but keep saving and get the Tikka Varmint. You will be glad you did.

Never had to take mine to a gunsmith .

Same here mate, all my Howa's have been real shooters out of the box even with crap factory ammo, as for my Tikka, well that's a story similar to Tassies when it comes to being accurate :thumbsdown: I won't give up on it though, I will try other projectile weights etc and I'm sure it will shoot fine (bloody hope so) or it will be out the door like it's more fancied Father the Sako I had and was also lacking in it's ability to shoot straight :unknown:

So far the cheapies have been great shooters and the more expensive stuff has been very lack lustre to say the least :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dossa456 » 27 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

Probably not helpful but- I have both a Howa and ruger American predator.
If I were to buy another budget gun I’d go the Howa. My Howa was tinkered before I bought it and if you buy 2nd hand you can usually get one with an okay scope on it ect for same price as a new ruger American. Nothing wrong with the ruger Americans though it is just personal preference. My ruger American in 22-250 shoots MOA out the box with factory federal 55grainers once I put a half decent scope on it.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2019, 9:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes I have heard that guys are getting good results from Ruger but I have not seen this personally. I love my Rugers, not that I have an American, but I load for five Tikka T3 of different calibers which all shoot 1/4 inch or better. I have not seen other factory rifles that will do that.

I have a few...can i send them to you for some sorting out...??
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2019, 10:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’d say you can get a dud in any brand, at any price point - I most certainly did with a steyr...so the Q is what gives you the best chance of getting a shooter? Get an accuracy guarantee regardless of brand you choose.

Get a dona and build one with a match barrel .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm

I have a Tikka T3x Lite stainless and it cost about $1200 from memory. A Howa can be had for about $659. Given most people seem very happy with their Howas, I would suggest they would be very hard to go past. Having said that, I have no regrets spending the extra on my Tikka. You pays your money and takes your chances.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 28 Feb 2019, 2:20 am

Value for money? I have no hesitation backing the Howa 1500. I don't own one but my brother does - in .223 and it/he combined outshoots my CZ .223 that cost almost triple what he paid. The trigger might take some wearing in or maybe need some work but "bang for your buck" and potential accuracy I think they are hard to beat.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Feb 2019, 6:03 pm

Stix wrote:I have a few...can i send them to you for some sorting out...??

Happy to Stix, I never met a Tikka I didn't like. The varmint barrelled models are a bargain, Sako is showing the other manufactures how it is done. Secondhand Super Varmints are for sale for $1,000, every boy should get himself a couple.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 28 Feb 2019, 8:01 pm

deye243 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’d say you can get a dud in any brand, at any price point - I most certainly did with a steyr...so the Q is what gives you the best chance of getting a shooter? Get an accuracy guarantee regardless of brand you choose.

Get a dona and build one with a match barrel .

By dona are you saying get a cheaper donor rifle a re barrel with something like a Krieger?

My local gun shop has the following that may be suitable for a re barrel a Parker Hale 1200 in 243, a Mauser 95 in 308 and a Ruger 77 in 243 what is the potential of these actions for accuracy? The Ruger isn't much cheaper than a brand new Howa from a big Brisbane gun shop though!
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 28 Feb 2019, 8:10 pm

Yep I seen a howa on abused guns for 300 so if the bolt isn't flogged out it would be a good donor the only 2 actions I would use if accuracy was what I wanted would be a rem700 or a howa 1500 that is just my preference as I hate plastic mags and prefer floor plate .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 28 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm

andym79 wrote:By dona are you saying get a cheaper donor rifle a re barrel with something like a Krieger?

My local gun shop has the following that may be suitable for a re barrel a Parker Hale 1200 in 243, a Mauser 95 in 308 and a Ruger 77 in 243 what is the potential of these actions for accuracy? The Ruger isn't much cheaper than a brand new Howa from a big Brisbane gun shop though!

My Ruger M77 MKII that was rebarrelled to 6BR a few years ago was a consistent 1/4 MOA rifle, barrel is getting a bit tired now but still holds •4 to •5MOA and have had no issues feeding from the magazine. The Ruger trigger either needs to be replaced or modified, as standard they are heavy, the Howa trigger is much better especially with a Gunbloke spring kit :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andym79 » 28 Feb 2019, 8:24 pm

Thanks guys, what about an Omark44 in 308 as a donor conversion to 6mm br, 6mm creedmoor or 243?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 28 Feb 2019, 8:47 pm

It will cost a lot more as you need an adapter for the bolt lockup .
Just Google omark barrel adaptor
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Feb 2019, 9:00 pm

I think getting an Omark 44 as a donor is a smart choice if you are on a budget. The rifle you buy as a donor should already have the adapter. I have not seen a price difference for rifles with compared to rifles without. A new barrel and perhaps a clean up of the stock and you will have yourself a top shelf custom shooter in the calbre of your choice.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bridgy » 28 Feb 2019, 9:09 pm

This is a friend's rifle:

https://www.buyusedguns.com.au/tikka-t3 ... 14647.html

it shoots great, has been used bugger all. The most he's shot it has been when we zeroed it at SSAA Para. As a .243 package it's close to on par with a Howa from any of the local shops by the time you get ammo/scope/mag etc.

Just a thought :)
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 01 Mar 2019, 12:11 pm

So if the Omark, has been re barrelled is there a good chance it already got an adapter and can be re barrelled like a normal rifle?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by marksman » 01 Mar 2019, 1:54 pm

andym79 wrote:So if the Omark, has been re barrelled is there a good chance it already got an adapter and can be re barrelled like a normal rifle?

you are going to be over budget the way your questions are going andy
if you buy an Omark $500 and rebarrel with a krieger $1000 it's a budget rifle that's not budget anymore especially as you will still only get $500 for it

better to buy a new 243 howa :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 01 Mar 2019, 3:26 pm

I completely understand what you are saying and I am keen on the Howa, but I don't get to choose the cartridge or the twist rate!

Wandering from my original post here aren't I! We have gone from a normal budget 243 in to another of my oddballs with a different twist rate and less common chambering.

Could a 243 barrel be set back and chambered into 6 mm br?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Mar 2019, 4:28 pm

deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Mar 2019, 4:31 pm

andym79 wrote:I completely understand what you are saying and I am keen on the Howa, but I don't get to choose the cartridge or the twist rate!

Wandering from my original post here aren't I! We have gone from a normal budget 243 in to another of my oddballs with a different twist rate and less common chambering.

Could a 243 barrel be set back and chambered into 6 mm br?

Yes if it's a #3 or bigger but unless you start with a 1:8 there's no point .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Mar 2019, 6:19 pm

If you can buy a new Howa for $500 odd there must be secondhand ones for sale around $400. Put your new barrel on it if you want in 6BR and when it goes off put a 243 reamer up it. There is around 3000 rounds of accurate shooting at a bargain price.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles