henry lever action opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

henry lever action opinions

Post by bigrich » 07 Mar 2019, 3:42 pm

hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: henry lever action opinions

Post by wrenchman » 08 Mar 2019, 1:40 am

henry has a life time warrenty most guys that dont like them its becouse of were you load them they dont like the tube.
i am looking at one in 357 the action is nice and they tend to have nice wood.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 4:43 am

Yeah wrench, the tube loading isn’t the most convenient way to load, but from what I’ve read, the Henry are a well put together rifle with a good trigger. And you can easily scope mount like a marlin. First hand knowledge from someone who owns one can carry more weight than advertising hype though
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Mar 2019, 9:55 am

You haven't had a lot of replies bigrich, so have you had a look on www.marlinowners.com/forum? If you go waay down there is a section for many makes of levers and FWIW, I love levers and the makes I have owned (not Henry) have been junk, so buyer beware and good luck.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:You haven't had a lot of replies bigrich, so have you had a look on http://www.marlinowners.com/forum? If you go waay down there is a section for many makes of levers and FWIW, I love levers and the makes I have owned (not Henry) have been junk, so buyer beware and good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check that out. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 08 Mar 2019, 12:24 pm

Have a look at the YouTube video about the Henry company. All advertising of course but interesting none the less.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bill » 08 Mar 2019, 5:45 pm

I reckon the looks are bit retro and if thats your thing go for it. Not sure about resale but they do have a nice classic look and the one I handled pointed reall well.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 6:26 pm

yeh, i've looked at those bill, the "long ranger ". i figure their kind of henry's take on the browning BLR . i'm thinkin about a 45-70 in the case hardened and blued receiver . just something appeals to me about old school low tech . got the option of throwing lead too . i had a CVA stainless/syn in 45-70 that i did enjoy, but it wasn't "old" enough for me. i have hunting rifles, this is more about fun. not that 45-70 won't flatten stuff within it's range limits . however, if i remember correctly, the record for 45-70 at the creedmore range in the US was 10 shots in 8-9" . at 1000 yards. i read it somewhere, can't remember where but. i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2019, 6:57 pm

bigrich wrote:hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?
I only have one Henry, in .22LR, but it doesn't impress me at all. I can't imagine I'd consider buying another Henry. Finish is lovely, fit is atrocious.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?
I only have one Henry, in .22LR, but it doesn't impress me at all. I can't imagine I'd consider buying another Henry. Finish is lovely, fit is atrocious.

Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 08 Mar 2019, 7:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?

They sure do : - https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Mar 2019, 7:22 pm

FWIW Both the Henry long ranger and BLR are based off the Winchester 88 design - rack-and-pinion leverage with front locking lugs. Complex linkage makes the triggers rather heavy and difficult to lighten, although apparently the Henry trigger is a little better than the BLR. Even though they are known to be accurate sporting rifles, both have tense forends so the poi will wander after some shots in a target setting. I’d choose the Henry over the BLR.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 11:48 am

bigrich wrote:Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?

Not as well as my JW21 Norinco, unfortunately. I bought it expecting it to be a step upover the Chinese Norinco for silhouette shooting, but was disappointed. I like the Henry feed system over the Winchester design (JW21 is a licenced copy of the Winchester 9422), but prefer the Norinco in all practical aspects. It's possible I own the best Norinco and the worst Henry ever produced, but I think both are just run-of-the-mill samples. The Norinco still impresses me every time I shoot it. My neighbour has a 9422M he bought as a kid. We stripped it for cleaning as he had never had it apart, it's identical inside compared to the JW21.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?

Not as well as my JW21 Norinco, unfortunately. I bought it expecting it to be a step upover the Chinese Norinco for silhouette shooting, but was disappointed. I like the Henry feed system over the Winchester design (JW21 is a licenced copy of the Winchester 9422), but prefer the Norinco in all practical aspects. It's possible I own the best Norinco and the worst Henry ever produced, but I think both are just run-of-the-mill samples. The Norinco still impresses me every time I shoot it. My neighbour has a 9422M he bought as a kid. We stripped it for cleaning as he had never had it apart, it's identical inside compared to the JW21.

sad to hear ya henry isn't up to scratch, maybe it's a early production that got through QC on a bad day. maybe a few tweaks with the forend like in2anity is doing on his marlin and barrel band adjustments might help ? norinco's suprise me with their accuracy , how does your neihbours winnie shoot compared to your norinco ? i must say my current marlin dispels any worries about qaulity control with them . they must've finally got all the remlins out of the system :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles