henry lever action opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

henry lever action opinions

Post by bigrich » 07 Mar 2019, 3:42 pm

hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: henry lever action opinions

Post by wrenchman » 08 Mar 2019, 1:40 am

henry has a life time warrenty most guys that dont like them its becouse of were you load them they dont like the tube.
i am looking at one in 357 the action is nice and they tend to have nice wood.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 4:43 am

Yeah wrench, the tube loading isn’t the most convenient way to load, but from what I’ve read, the Henry are a well put together rifle with a good trigger. And you can easily scope mount like a marlin. First hand knowledge from someone who owns one can carry more weight than advertising hype though
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Mar 2019, 9:55 am

You haven't had a lot of replies bigrich, so have you had a look on www.marlinowners.com/forum? If you go waay down there is a section for many makes of levers and FWIW, I love levers and the makes I have owned (not Henry) have been junk, so buyer beware and good luck.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:You haven't had a lot of replies bigrich, so have you had a look on http://www.marlinowners.com/forum? If you go waay down there is a section for many makes of levers and FWIW, I love levers and the makes I have owned (not Henry) have been junk, so buyer beware and good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check that out. Cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 08 Mar 2019, 12:24 pm

Have a look at the YouTube video about the Henry company. All advertising of course but interesting none the less.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bill » 08 Mar 2019, 5:45 pm

I reckon the looks are bit retro and if thats your thing go for it. Not sure about resale but they do have a nice classic look and the one I handled pointed reall well.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 6:26 pm

yeh, i've looked at those bill, the "long ranger ". i figure their kind of henry's take on the browning BLR . i'm thinkin about a 45-70 in the case hardened and blued receiver . just something appeals to me about old school low tech . got the option of throwing lead too . i had a CVA stainless/syn in 45-70 that i did enjoy, but it wasn't "old" enough for me. i have hunting rifles, this is more about fun. not that 45-70 won't flatten stuff within it's range limits . however, if i remember correctly, the record for 45-70 at the creedmore range in the US was 10 shots in 8-9" . at 1000 yards. i read it somewhere, can't remember where but. i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2019, 6:57 pm

bigrich wrote:hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?
I only have one Henry, in .22LR, but it doesn't impress me at all. I can't imagine I'd consider buying another Henry. Finish is lovely, fit is atrocious.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 08 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:hey all, i'm thinking about another purchase , and am wanting opinions and views on henry lever guns. mainly looking at 45-70 , but general opinions on build qaulity and accuracy on any henry's would be appreciated. cheers

Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?
I only have one Henry, in .22LR, but it doesn't impress me at all. I can't imagine I'd consider buying another Henry. Finish is lovely, fit is atrocious.

Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 08 Mar 2019, 7:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do Henry offer .45-70 in anything?

They sure do : - https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Mar 2019, 7:22 pm

FWIW Both the Henry long ranger and BLR are based off the Winchester 88 design - rack-and-pinion leverage with front locking lugs. Complex linkage makes the triggers rather heavy and difficult to lighten, although apparently the Henry trigger is a little better than the BLR. Even though they are known to be accurate sporting rifles, both have tense forends so the poi will wander after some shots in a target setting. I’d choose the Henry over the BLR.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 11:48 am

bigrich wrote:Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?

Not as well as my JW21 Norinco, unfortunately. I bought it expecting it to be a step upover the Chinese Norinco for silhouette shooting, but was disappointed. I like the Henry feed system over the Winchester design (JW21 is a licenced copy of the Winchester 9422), but prefer the Norinco in all practical aspects. It's possible I own the best Norinco and the worst Henry ever produced, but I think both are just run-of-the-mill samples. The Norinco still impresses me every time I shoot it. My neighbour has a 9422M he bought as a kid. We stripped it for cleaning as he had never had it apart, it's identical inside compared to the JW21.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:Fit isn’t real flash blade ? How does it shoot ?

Not as well as my JW21 Norinco, unfortunately. I bought it expecting it to be a step upover the Chinese Norinco for silhouette shooting, but was disappointed. I like the Henry feed system over the Winchester design (JW21 is a licenced copy of the Winchester 9422), but prefer the Norinco in all practical aspects. It's possible I own the best Norinco and the worst Henry ever produced, but I think both are just run-of-the-mill samples. The Norinco still impresses me every time I shoot it. My neighbour has a 9422M he bought as a kid. We stripped it for cleaning as he had never had it apart, it's identical inside compared to the JW21.

sad to hear ya henry isn't up to scratch, maybe it's a early production that got through QC on a bad day. maybe a few tweaks with the forend like in2anity is doing on his marlin and barrel band adjustments might help ? norinco's suprise me with their accuracy , how does your neihbours winnie shoot compared to your norinco ? i must say my current marlin dispels any worries about qaulity control with them . they must've finally got all the remlins out of the system :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles