Best accuracy possible from a lever gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best accuracy possible from a lever gun

Post by mahna » 02 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

Hi guys,

I'm maybe interested in getting a lever gun.

I know there are old and new lever actions chambered for 'old' cartridges like 30-30 and then ones for modern cartridges like .308

Is anyone making a lever action that can complete with a bolt action rifle on accuracy though?

Googleing some photos and forum stuff, shooting a 1.5" seems to be taken as good shooting for a lever. No one's shooting clover leaf groups in the posts I've found?

I know they're not meant to be a target rifle and all that, I'm not expecting competition accuracy, but is sub inch at 100m too much to ask for from any lever?

Just curious. Thanks.
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Best accuracy possible from a lever gun

Post by 5Tom » 04 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm

I'm just guessing here, but I would think there "shouldn't" be much difference or if any in terms of accuracy. The only thing that I can see is that being a lever action, it may not tolerate the same kind of pressures that a bolt action can take, thus your bullet velocity I would assume would be lower for the same weight of projectile.

I can't see the barrel or rifling being any different to a bolt action either so I can't see why accuracy would be different.

I'm most likely over thinking things and guessing, but hey. I'm curious too.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Vati » 06 Feb 2014, 8:23 am

There are definitely people getting smaller than 1.5" groups.

All else being equal a lever would shoot the same as a bolt action. If they were equal though it would be a bolt action...

Bearing in mind you're probably doing a bit of an apples/oranges comparison here.

Barrel length, rifle weight, stability etc. are will all be different between you're average bolt action and average lever.

They're built for different things so you can really expect the same result from them.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mahna » 03 Mar 2014, 8:11 am

Thanks Vati.

I get the apples & oranges thing. Obviously not expecting BR accuracy from a short barrel lever.

Just "better than 1.5 inch" was really what I was looking for.

This would only be for hunting so don't need to be a nail driver. It would be nice to be under that 1" group mark though just because :)
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 03 Mar 2014, 8:34 am

mahna wrote:This would only be for hunting so don't need to be a nail driver. It would be nice to be under that 1" group mark though just because :)

Like any other, if you spend the time tuning a hand load for yours then you should reap the benefits.

I've spent quite a bit of time developing loads for a mate and my own 30-30 and did get under 1" groups at 100 on a regular basis. It's not as easy as with a bolt gun and one has to remember to stay away from hot loads due to the inherent weakness of a lever action in comparison.

In the chase for tighter groups any flat nose bullet I tried just didn't come close due to the bullets shape mainly. Flat nose, hollow nose etc. I tried the at the time new 160gr Hornady FTX Flex Tip but could not get the velocity out of numerous powders tried without using very hot loads. I eventually found some 150gr Sierra Pro-Hunter Round Nose #2135 that gave the best most accurate results with very good velocity out of both Winchester 94 and Marlin 336.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mahna » 03 Mar 2014, 9:11 am

Thanks Apollo.

I expect I'll go with something that shoots a modern cartridge like the Browning BLR in .308 or something like that. Not the older cartridges like 30-30 etc.

Hopefully should make it a lot easier to get that decent grouping.
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by FourFingersof Death » 03 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

The Browning Lever action will give you bolt action performance, but it is a pretty gawky looking rifle. I have always backed off just before I plonked my money down on Brownings.

I have found that the Winchesters are generally a tad more accurate than the Marlins (although there is not much in it), but the Marlins allow scope mounting (as do the later Angle Eject Winchester 94s).

I have 13 or 14 lever riflerifles and really like them. I use cast boolits pretty much exclusively.

If you really want better than 1.5moa, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. There are people who get that sort of accuracy, but they are as rare as reliable old Jaguars.

I used a 44Mag 94 Winchester for years with great effect,nailed lots of game. I finally took it to the range one day and no way could I beat 4" at 100 yards, Boy, I didn't realise how handicapped i was! haha!

Yet this had been hugely successful in the field.

There's range accuracy and field accuracy. Range accuracy is nice to have for bragging rights, but in reality, not that necessary in the field.

DO a search of the SSAA Lever Action competitions. You may find one near you. Lots of knowledge there and they will probably give you a shot.

Google Paco Kelly's Leverrifles, great site and lots of info about accurising lever actions.

The Marauder is another interesting site.
FourFingersof Death
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 03 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

Is a new Marlin worth looking at these days do you think?

I read they, apparently, have had some quality control issues recently and more than a few people have picked up new rifles which turned out to be duds.

Can't speak from experience, just a bit of feedback here or there. Got any in your 14 there? :D
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles