Foxing package

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Foxing package

Post by GQshayne » 11 Mar 2019, 7:51 pm

If memory serves me correctly, people on this forum have had good results using Trailboss in the .223. I know you are not looking to reload at this point, however it is worth remembering for the future. In close quarters a nice accurate handload that resembles a Hornet load could be handy.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 12 Mar 2019, 12:28 am

I have a .223 from CZ, my brother has Howa. Both equally accurate. Howa half or a third the price. That leaves a lot to spend on a scope, rings, ammo etc. I love my CZ and I'd buy it again but on a "bang for your buck" basis it's hard for me to ignore Howa.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kotaw » 12 Mar 2019, 8:16 am

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How many foxes do ya reckon he's going to shoot each time out? most seem to see 1 or 2 during the day and say 6 on average at night spotlighting so can't see it getting overly expensive and the 17HMR isn't exactly cheap either, the good part about CF cals is they can be reloaded so keeping the cases is a good idea whether you just start out with factory ammo - more than likely you will reload for it one day. :drinks:

Where there are foxes, there are wabbits ;) Anyways I've made my point. I like the little 17hmr - plenty good enough for grasshoppers and goats, and ammo can be well under 30c a pop. It's a good agricultural calibre for the Central West NSW (where there aren't a whole lot of pigs yet) - I know plenty who use them as their goto truck-gun.

You wouldn't believe the rabbits around here, I have access to a .22 air rifle that is great on them.
Kotaw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 8:28 am

Kotaw wrote:
in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How many foxes do ya reckon he's going to shoot each time out? most seem to see 1 or 2 during the day and say 6 on average at night spotlighting so can't see it getting overly expensive and the 17HMR isn't exactly cheap either, the good part about CF cals is they can be reloaded so keeping the cases is a good idea whether you just start out with factory ammo - more than likely you will reload for it one day. :drinks:

Where there are foxes, there are wabbits ;) Anyways I've made my point. I like the little 17hmr - plenty good enough for grasshoppers and goats, and ammo can be well under 30c a pop. It's a good agricultural calibre for the Central West NSW (where there aren't a whole lot of pigs yet) - I know plenty who use them as their goto truck-gun.

You wouldn't believe the rabbits around here, I have access to a .22 air rifle that is great on them.

I'm not seeing many around my area at the moment sadly, I'd like to make a few more rabbit dishes when they start up again. I used to get after em with my Weihrauch HW80 as a kid, it certainly rolled em well back then, I should take it out next time I go looking for em. :D

I wish you luck mate and definitely have a look at the Howa Rifles, I own 3 of em and they are the rifle I go hunting with the most as they are reliable, very very accurate and just get the job done (all mine sit in Boyds Stocks) I'm not really a fan of their Hogue stocks so I just buy their barrelled actions and put them in my own stock.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 8:33 am

bigfellascott wrote:I know plenty of em mate, I live in the bush too, I can honestly say the majority don't bother with much shooting (older farmers and some women who run farms etc)

lol well I think testosterone might have something to do with it... :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 9:28 am

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I know plenty of em mate, I live in the bush too, I can honestly say the majority don't bother with much shooting (older farmers and some women who run farms etc)

Nah I think it's more they have better things to do with their time than chase after a few ferals. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 9:40 am

bigfellascott wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Nah I think it's more they have better things to do with their time than chase after a few ferals. :drinks:

My experience is more along the lines of Scott's...
Farmers i know like to be in doors at night...sometimes they csnt even be bothered throwing the rifle in the car, & others just dont shoot despite having a safe full of sticks.

Of the ones that do get out, its mostly due to necessity &/or driving for a shooter to cull when numbers are up &/or (for example) lambing/calving time.
Sometimes it may be for social reasons if a shooter mate comes for a visit.

It makes sense to me..i gather vermin are an annoying chore for the farmers i know, & tending to an annoying chore late at night is not veiwed as "fun" to them...
.im a carpenter & the last thing i want to be doing at 10pm at night is to be outside in the cold sweeping sawdust up off of pavers... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 12:42 pm

Stix wrote:
Farmers i know like to be in doors at night...sometimes they csnt even be bothered throwing the rifle in the car, & others just dont shoot despite having a safe full of sticks.

Of the ones that do get out, its mostly due to necessity &/or driving for a shooter to cull when numbers are up &/or (for example) lambing/calving time.

It makes sense to me..i gather vermin are an annoying chore for the farmers i know, & tending to an annoying chore late at night is not veiwed as "fun" to them...
.im a carpenter & the last thing i want to be doing at 10pm at night is to be outside in the cold sweeping sawdust up off of pavers... :lol:

It's an age thing I reckon - the old boys have "been there, done that", and have given up the fight against the hordes. A lot of my younger cousins who are the next generation farmers still enjoy the novelty of it but, plus also think they can still make a difference against the pests - idealistic I suppose. Nevertheless both my pops regularly shot on their own places right up until the day they died - whether that's classified as "hunting" or "working" I suppose that's a grey area...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 2:03 pm

in2anity wrote:
Stix wrote:

It's an age thing I reckon - the old boys have "been there, done that", and have given up the fight against the hordes. A lot of my younger cousins who are the next generation farmers still enjoy the novelty of it but, plus also think they can still make a difference against the pests - idealistic I suppose. Nevertheless both my pops regularly shot on their own places right up until the day they died - whether that's classified as "hunting" or "working" I suppose that's a grey area...

Yep the older I get the less interest I have in chasing after ferals, in my younger days I loved getting out at every opportunity to hunt stuff, now I have SFA interest in doing it, partly due to poor health but honestly it just doesn't do it for me anymore, that may change later on who knows (I ebb and flow when it comes to killing stuff) same thing happened when I was younger and into fishing, loved it and was at it all the time, these days I do SFA of that too, I guess one's interests change and ebb and flow too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles