Foxing package

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Foxing package

Post by Kotaw » 09 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

Hey all, I'm just getting back into shooting, I haven't owned a rifle since the 80's. Looking at doing a bit of foxing and looking at a .223. I'd like to get setup for under $1500 (don't want to go crazy in case I'm crap at it, I use to be a great shot by my eyes were 30 years younger). I'm looking at a new Savage Axis 11 package which with a bipod will come in under $1k.
Kotaw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Foxing package

Post by Chappo » 09 Mar 2019, 5:13 pm

Hey mate, welcome!
Do a bit of shopping around. In my opinion there are some better options than an entry level savage rifle in your budget. I’ve only really handled savages and not shot enough to get an idea of accuracy or usability but they just seem a bit too cheap to me.
There are some great budget rifles around at the moment.
Have a look at Mauser, Howa and Sauer rifles.
All will leave you enough in the bank for a decent scope and all under $1500.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by booomr » 09 Mar 2019, 6:02 pm

+1 for Howa.

I was looking for a .223 recently, and had pretty much settled on the Remington 783. Went in, handled a few different rifles, and ended up ordering in a Howa 1500 Varmint .223 in their Hogue stock for $695, which I was happy with. I have it paired with a BSA scope atm, which will be upgraded in a few weeks, but it hits less than an inch comfortably. It also has a 1-8" twist, so it'll stabilise heavier rounds.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Mar 2019, 6:40 pm

For your budget you could get a nice Howa and a Leupold VX3 scope in 3.5 to 10 x 40. That would be a very effective foxing combination. If you are predominantly going to be spotlighting from a vehicle I would recommend a varmint barrel. I have a Savage Model 25 with the thumb hole stock topped with a Hawke scope in .204 calibre. That is a very effective tool for foxes as well. I think the model 25 is a step up from their Axis model. Since most Howa owners seem very satisfied, that would be my recommendation for your budget.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Mar 2019, 7:13 pm

My vote is for a 204, they are awesome.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Mar 2019, 8:02 pm

I would think the logical choice at that budget would be a Howa mini action in 223.

.204 would be a great choice IF your going to reload.

Don't disregard second hand options. Plenty of bargains to be had if you have a little patience.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 09 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

I’ve always liked these.
I’ll buy one one day. This one has a nice stock!
https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/18651
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Mar 2019, 9:29 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I would think the logical choice at that budget would be a Howa mini action in 223.

.204 would be a great choice IF your going to reload.

Don't disregard second hand options. Plenty of bargains to be had if you have a little patience.

Hard to disagree with you here. The 204 is a great calibre, but factory ammo costs a lot more than .223 ammo and is not as easy to get. I reload, so the price and availability of factory ammo is irrelevant to me.

There are a lot of second hand options, so that is worth a look as well. A mini action Howa in 223 is a pretty commercially sound choice and you really aren’t paying a lot for them.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2019, 7:05 am

Hi Kotaw...

i dont own a Howa yet so cant speak from experience, but id definately consider one given how many are out there vs the apparent lack of complaints about them.
Shop around & shoulder a few & see what you think/how they feel when cycling the action/squeezing off trigger...
Look at whats offered in warranty too.

223 is probably the obvious & very wise chambering to be purchasing in, given its exceptionally low price & availability...

BUT...as a fox cartridge, the 204 has to be the best i rekon...i thought id never get one...then i used one & now ill never be without one on the seat next to me...ever...!!!
222 is also good cartridge too--basically the same as a 223 from a rabbit/fox/roo knocking perspective....but along with the 204, will be a little more expensine to feed if not reloading.

& just to add, in agreeance with the guys suggesting second hand...some nice rifles about second gand--especially the older ones like the one has been mentioned above....

Good luck with it all...let us know how you go, what you get & how it shoots...
& most important, upload first blood (&/or) first fox with it... :thumbsup:
Hopefully you have better luck than me atm...a 4 hr drive to check out a new property & so far one set of disapearing eyes & no bang... :thumbsdown:

:D

Hey...by the way Kotaw...Are you Katut's brother...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 10 Mar 2019, 8:37 am

17hmr if you’ll never handload.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 10 Mar 2019, 8:51 am

As soon as I saw foxing package, my first thought was 204 Ruger.

I only got interested in the 204 after reading about the 222 Rem MAGNUM. Which the 204 Ruger case is a necked shoulder improved version of.

If you don't reload the obvious choice is 223. I would highly reconmend a Howa Mini action. I have one in 204 and 223. I liked the one I got in 204 so much I bought one in 223. I Already had a 223. The only issues with Mini action are the magazines release in front of the magazine can easily be knocked and standard Houge stock is a bit Flexi in the forend. But the Howa's are very reasonably priced. The triggers can Also be easily adjusted down with a simply Spring kit.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Mar 2019, 10:40 am

Cooper wrote:If you don't reload the obvious choice is 223.

Specifically for smaller type game, why is 223 the “obvious” choice for the non-handloader? Isn’t the whole point of magnum rimfire to fill that exact niche? On the contrary, I’d say the the 223 is the obvious choice for the handloader.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 10 Mar 2019, 1:06 pm

in2anity wrote:17hmr if you’ll never handload.

Being there done that! I bought one in 2013. Thinking I would never reload. Don’t get me wrong. Definitely a great round. I like it as a rabbit gun 100 metres plus and for shooting Indian Myna birds around the house. Yeah it will take foxes. But not my first choice.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Steve-0 » 10 Mar 2019, 1:41 pm

I brought a Howa with a 24' fluted heavy barrel and have been pretty happy with it so far. It has a meopta 6-18x50 on top, and at 100m has no issues grouping under an inch with buffalo river blitz Kings and game Kings, even in less that still conditions.
Haven't had a chance hunt anything with it yet, but I have no doubt it should do alright under a light.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Mar 2019, 1:49 pm

Cooper wrote:Being there done that! I bought one in 2013. Thinking I would never reload. Don’t get me wrong. Definitely a great round. I like it as a rabbit gun 100 metres plus and for shooting Indian Myna birds around the house. Yeah it will take foxes. But not my first choice.

Fair enough, that’s your choice (with valid reason), but do think that it’s fair to exclude magnum rimfire given OP’s requirements?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 10 Mar 2019, 1:58 pm

Got a Ruger American Predator in .223, topped it with a Zeiss Terra 4-12x42, throw in some Warne rings and I’m in business for under $1,100 Shoots plenty accurately and am super happy with it.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 10 Mar 2019, 2:09 pm

in2anity wrote:
Cooper wrote:If you don't reload the obvious choice is 223.

Specifically for smaller type game, why is 223 the “obvious” choice for the non-handloader? Isn’t the whole point of magnum rimfire to fill that exact niche? On the contrary, I’d say the the 223 is the obvious choice for the handloader.

Magnum rimfire is a good choice too, there is no doubt about that. I've had two 22 magnums, a 222, and a 223, and regular access to a 17 HMR. I'd still suggest that the 223 would be my pick if (1) I could only have one of those calibres, and (2) my main quarry was foxes. Mainly due to price, availability and variety of factory ammo, and the extra legs on the 223 compared to the rimfire options. Just my opinion....
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 10 Mar 2019, 3:02 pm

22wmr prices are dumb. 223 ammo can be cheap, 17hmr can be cheaper. 17hmr will cover 95% of your shots within reasonable distances - and heck I don’t know too many old farmers practically taking shots past 150m.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve never met a shooter who regrets picking up a solid 223. And yes I’m being pedantic with my argument - but sometimes cost of ammo is a real factor for the struggling farmer. Magnum rimfire should at least be seriously considered is the point I’m trying to push. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 10 Mar 2019, 5:02 pm

in2anity wrote:
Cooper wrote:Being there done that! I bought one in 2013. Thinking I would never reload. Don’t get me wrong. Definitely a great round. I like it as a rabbit gun 100 metres plus and for shooting Indian Myna birds around the house. Yeah it will take foxes. But not my first choice.

Fair enough, that’s your choice (with valid reason), but do think that it’s fair to exclude magnum rimfire given OP’s requirements?

Op wasn’t asking about caliber, he wants a 223.
Where is he anyways?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2019, 6:20 pm

in2anity wrote:

Why limit yourself range wise with a pip squeak cal like that? better choice is 204 or 223 or 22-250 all great for snotting foxes. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2019, 6:21 pm

in2anity wrote:

Why limit yourself range wise with a pip squeak cal like that? better choice is 204 or 223 or 22-250 all great for snotting foxes. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 10 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Because it’s cheaper. But maybe that’s not a concern for OP - I’m just trying to make sure OP has considered it is all.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2019, 6:27 pm

I have a Marlin xs7. In 223. Topped with sightron 3-9x40. Very happy with it for the money. But not many new marlins around now since Remington took over.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2019, 6:46 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Because it’s cheaper. But maybe that’s not a concern for OP - I’m just trying to make sure OP has considered it is all.

How many foxes do ya reckon he's going to shoot each time out? most seem to see 1 or 2 during the day and say 6 on average at night spotlighting so can't see it getting overly expensive and the 17HMR isn't exactly cheap either, the good part about CF cals is they can be reloaded so keeping the cases is a good idea whether you just start out with factory ammo - more than likely you will reload for it one day. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kotaw » 11 Mar 2019, 10:03 am

Thanks to all, food for thought. I was looking at the 223 as the ammo cost is low, I wont be reloading at this stage. If things go well I will probably upgrade sooner rather than later. My $1.5k will need to include all my kit so was looking around $1k to $1.1k on the rifle, scope and bipod.
Kotaw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Kotaw » 11 Mar 2019, 10:07 am

Stix wrote:Hi Kotaw...

i dont own a Howa yet so cant speak from experience, but id definately consider one given how many are out there vs the apparent lack of complaints about them.
Shop around & shoulder a few & see what you think/how they feel when cycling the action/squeezing off trigger...
Look at whats offered in warranty too.

223 is probably the obvious & very wise chambering to be purchasing in, given its exceptionally low price & availability...

BUT...as a fox cartridge, the 204 has to be the best i rekon...i thought id never get one...then i used one & now ill never be without one on the seat next to me...ever...!!!
222 is also good cartridge too--basically the same as a 223 from a rabbit/fox/roo knocking perspective....but along with the 204, will be a little more expensine to feed if not reloading.

& just to add, in agreeance with the guys suggesting second hand...some nice rifles about second gand--especially the older ones like the one has been mentioned above....

Good luck with it all...let us know how you go, what you get & how it shoots...
& most important, upload first blood (&/or) first fox with it... :thumbsup:
Hopefully you have better luck than me atm...a 4 hr drive to check out a new property & so far one set of disapearing eyes & no bang... :thumbsdown:

:D

Hey...by the way Kotaw...Are you Katut's brother...?

Don't know Katut
Kotaw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Mar 2019, 10:12 am

Like a sunrise
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kotaw » 11 Mar 2019, 10:16 am

Guys I'm in Vic, I do a lot of work on horse properties and I'm seeing foxes and scat just about every day. I sat out on a client property a few weeks ago and spotted 9 foxes in a 3 hour period. This guy has sheep as well and lost quite a few lambs this year as well as a coop full of chooks. Most of my clients are very cautious about allowing shooters on their land. I see sign of foxes most morning on our arena, it seem the buggers are everywhere around here. I'm keen on the 223 as it is reasonably quiet, comparatively, cheap and still has the knock down power.
Kotaw
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Mar 2019, 10:18 am

bigfellascott wrote:How many foxes do ya reckon he's going to shoot each time out? most seem to see 1 or 2 during the day and say 6 on average at night spotlighting so can't see it getting overly expensive and the 17HMR isn't exactly cheap either, the good part about CF cals is they can be reloaded so keeping the cases is a good idea whether you just start out with factory ammo - more than likely you will reload for it one day. :drinks:

Where there are foxes, there are wabbits ;) Anyways I've made my point. I like the little 17hmr - plenty good enough for grasshoppers and goats, and ammo can be well under 30c a pop. It's a good agricultural calibre for the Central West NSW (where there aren't a whole lot of pigs yet) - I know plenty who use them as their goto truck-gun.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

Everyone ends up with a 223 at some point but the little 20 cal is far more interesting and great fun.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles