Concern about the gun safe for centre fire gun with scope

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Concern about the gun safe for centre fire gun with scope

Post by Randy Marsh » 10 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm

First guys please forgive me if it is stupid question to ask.

I am quite new to shooting and planning to buy the first gun, when choosing the safe, I am considering one with 5-7 guns capacity, I look around the internet (like those sold in bunnings), it seems the safe is little bit sallow in depth? Like the inner depth is usually around 230mm, is that enough for a centre fire with scope saying 40 in diameter?

I know it's very likely that the designer of safe has taken that into account, just want to confirm in case I buy one but can not put the gun in.

Thanks in advanced
Randy Marsh
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Concern about the gun safe for centre fire gun with scop

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2019, 9:46 pm

Randy Marsh wrote:First guys please forgive me if it is stupid question to ask.

I am quite new to shooting and planning to buy the first gun, when choosing the safe, I am considering one with 5-7 guns capacity, I look around the internet (like those sold in bunnings), it seems the safe is little bit sallow in depth? Like the inner depth is usually around 230mm, is that enough for a centre fire with scope saying 40 in diameter?

I know it's very likely that the designer of safe has taken that into account, just want to confirm in case I buy one but can not put the gun in.

Thanks in advanced

230mm will take a scoped conventionally-stocked rifle, but you probably won't get a scoped pistol-grip chassis in there without putting it sideways.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 10 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm

Rifle safe believe it there is no such thing they call them gun safes for a reason a 410 shotgun (no scope )is what they use to measure them with get the biggest safe you can afford because you will in time fill it and need to go bigger or buy another
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 10 Mar 2019, 11:55 pm

I have just fitted a 3 rifle G2 safe to be compliant and it is a bit slimmer than the one I replaced and with 3 scoped rifles I have to place them sideways and then a single shotgun I store I have the barrel off and balanced in there then the action sits on the top foam rack it all fits but only just.Today I took the HOWA .243 hunting and The 7mm Sendero and Ruger .222 fit sweet.Might get another safe as I am considering getting a lever in 45/70 or a big game rifle Ruger no 1
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2019, 11:29 am

All the makers exaggerate the capacity. If ultimately you want a total of 6 firearms buy a 10.or 12 gun safe.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Mar 2019, 9:23 pm

IMO, buying a small safe is just a waste of money; the internal storage cabinet is far, far too small and as Oldbloke suggested, get at least a 10-12 gun safe. These just have more room all over, can get guns in and out with less problems.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by rossfrb » 17 Mar 2019, 9:01 pm

I third the idea of getting a larger than "needed" safe. If it doesn't weigh more than 150kg then you will be drilling holes in concrete for the bolts. You only want to do that once.
Another thing to consider are quick release scope rings. Unscoped rifles are much easier to fit in a crowded safe than scoped.
(Also if you want to 69 the rifles to fit more in)
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2019, 5:57 am

Definitely don't buy those rubbish safes from Bunnings! you might as well store em in a cardboard box and save the $$$. Buy a half decent brand and if you have say 5 guns get a 12 gun capacity one as Ol Bloke said the capacity they quote is usually for unscoped firearms.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 18 Mar 2019, 6:39 am

Check out the size of the spika S3. I think they are a great sized safe. I have 2 spika S3 and 1 protactical maxgaurd (which is the same size) all bolted together side by side.

If you plan on buying 5 guns, buy a 12 gun safe.

Last year when I bought my 3rd safe i spent alot of time looking for the cheapest safe to buy, and I found the bunnings safes were by far the most expensive to buy at the time
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 18 Mar 2019, 6:41 am

First thing to remember all safe capacity claims are exaggerated.
Do the sums for yourself.
For nearly all bolt action rifles you need a minimum 75mm per rifle if you are storing with the bolt in and why wouldn't you. Allowing 80mm is better as it lessens the likelyhood of bolts rubbing and damaging adjacent riflestocks.
I store all my firearms muzzle down, as any sensible person does, so for a typical scoped bolt action rifle a depth of 300 mm is better.
So a sensible 5 rifle safe is looking to be about 400mm x 300mm.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 18 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

I bought a three gunner from bunnings and sold it just as fast because there was only room for three un scoped but when I bought an 8 gunner from bunnings it was deeper where it mattered and I can fit 8 scoped rifles in there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Mar 2019, 6:50 pm

The mounting holes it has are pathetic. I drilled heaps more close to the edge s If anyone tries to steal my stuff I want them to have a bastard of a time doing it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2019, 8:59 pm

Blr243 wrote:I bought a three gunner from bunnings and sold it just as fast because there was only room for three un scoped but when I bought an 8 gunner from bunnings it was deeper where it mattered and I can fit 8 scoped rifles in there

It wasn't one of those Honeywell ones was it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Mar 2019, 9:13 pm

For what it's worth, (my opinion) go to your local gunshop/dealer and ask to have a look at a rifle/scope combo similar to what your thinking of buying 1st up, then try it for size in one/some of the safes in store,,,, and work out how many you could comfortably fit in it.
Then,,,,,,, and only then will you have a working idea of what size safe you should buy.
Just keep in mind what others have already said,,,,,,,,, (you will eventually buy more than you are thinking of at present)

Don't buy crap that you will almost guaranteed regret.
Quality = Buy once Cry once.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment