Howa varmint real life use

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa varmint real life use

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 5:10 pm

Evening all,

Long story but will cut it short.

Looking for feedback from people who own Howa 24" varmint rifles. Are these things too heavy for field use, waking all day and shooting free hand?

Noted also the fluted version. Is this much lighter and would it heap up much like the sporter barrel? Looking in 243 for mate who is only wanting to purchase one firearm.
Help is much appreciated.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 182
Queensland

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 6:03 pm

I don’t mean to hijack your thread Cal (hopefully this helps you too) but what’s the point of a fluted barrel?
Looks, weight or larger surface area for heat dissipation?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 281
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 6:52 pm

My understanding is both, weight and heat dissipation. I do wonder though if the fluting makes it more like a sporter in thickness. In the end, I would want to see less heat in a 243 barrel to save some barrel life. If my thoughts above are correct, I would suspect one would be better served with the traditional varmint barrel purely for barrel life. Unless fluted is significantly lighter of course.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 182
Queensland

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 6:54 pm

Is your mate reasonably fit or sits in front of the telly all day eating junk food?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1314
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by solarpak » 12 Mar 2019, 7:01 pm

Cal,
Howa do make a fluted varmint (#6 contour) barrelled action in both 20 and 24 inch versions. The 20 inch version would make a fine carry rifle with a suitable stock . A friend has a similar rifle but with the 24 inch barrel and when handling it a few weeks ago it was a tad muzzle heavy - i personally wouldn't use this as a stalking rifle but the 20 inch version would be a bit lighter up front.

It just depends on what you call heavy for a stalking rifle. My two lightest hunting rifles weigh 3.5 kgs (7.6lb) scoped - not ultralight weights but enough to absorb recoil and make carrying in the field a pleasure. At the other end, my three heaviest hunting rifles weight between 9.3lb-9.9lb scoped - they are not varmint barrelled or long barrelled rifles - but they still carry well in the field. But pick up the 7.6lb rifle and the 9.9lb rifle and its clearly evident.

Hope this helps your mate in some way,
CK
solarpak
Private
Private
 
Posts: 89
South Australia

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

H'day Cal,
I have the 24" fluted varmint, and yes it's a heavy bugger.
Although having said that, it's in a billet chassis with nearly a kilo of scope and a bipod on it bringing it to 6.5kg all up.
With the original stock and a smaller scope it would be less of a lump.
It doesn't matter for me as I only shoot prone due to injury induced shakes.
It is a veritable laser with the right load though.
As to heat, I rarely shoot enough shots in a row to heat it up.
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:My understanding is both, weight and heat dissipation. I do wonder though if the fluting makes it more like a sporter in thickness. In the end, I would want to see less heat in a 243 barrel to save some barrel life. If my thoughts above are correct, I would suspect one would be better served with the traditional varmint barrel purely for barrel life. Unless fluted is significantly lighter of course.


Hi Cal...
I notice you say less heat for barrel life & i gather thats leant towards a heavy barrel.
But a heavy or light barrel wont dictate barrel life, the rate of fire will dictate the life.

A heavy barrel will just hold the point of impact for longer because it wont be as susceptable to thermal shift...

If you shoot 30 rounds in immediate sucession out of a 243, be it sporter or heavy barrel, you will pretty much do the same damage to the throat.

The main differences between the 2 will be that the sporter barrel will likely shift poi & spray the group after fewer shots, but will also likely cool down quicker.
The varmint barrel will put more shots in the group before shifting poi, but take longer to cool down.

If you're only likely to fire 3 or 4 shots at one time & worried about weight, get a sporter...

If however you want to head shoot 7 rabbits in quick succession at 300 yds, get a varmint or fluted varmint & deal with the weight. :thumbsup:

Thats my take on it anyway... :D

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2472
South Australia

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 8:08 pm

I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 281
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 8:22 pm

If your mate wants to walk around with a rifle I suggest a sporter version, varmints aren't designed for that purpose.

What exactly is he going to shoot with it that makes you think he needs a varmint barrelled version instead of a sporter version?
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5894
-

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 8:43 pm

The thread came alive.

I personally think a sporter works be better suited to him as he will be walking a bit loving over goats and occasional pigs. He does however do a lot out of the window. We both think 243 is the go but are both thinking differently. He thinks heavy and I think light.

I was clearly off the mark with barrel wear. Thought more heat meant more wear. I was aware that heat would shift the poi but also thought shooting to that point was detrimental to barrel/throat life.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 182
Queensland

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 8:46 pm

A heavy profile barrel is more than just a bigger heat sink. Thicker barrels have less whip and damp barrel harmonics better than thinner barrels of the same lenght. All things being equal the heavier barrel will be more accurate for one shot or five.

If you want a lighter better handling rifle which is also accurate, you are better off trimming a Varmint profle to 20 inches or even shorter.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1314
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 9:14 pm

Chappo wrote:I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?

Mate the throat goes first - not sure how much the profile would affect this, my guess is not much. Then again a longer 24” will give you some wiggle room to get it re-cut down the track. Also my 2c I think it’s a terrible idea lugging a varmint rifle around on foot. You just need to do it once to realize how tiring it is (compared to something light).
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1290
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm

Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Glad I've already got my toys. I have suggested he just get a 223 heavy barrel and a 308 sporter for the walking but he is a tightwad and only wants one.

Anyone here with a short barrel 243?
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 182
Queensland

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by duncan61 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:22 pm

My .243 HOWA synthetic came with a 22 inch barrel in blued steel
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1581
Western Australia

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:31 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Glad I've already got my toys. I have suggested he just get a 223 heavy barrel and a 308 sporter for the walking but he is a tightwad and only wants one.

Anyone here with a short barrel 243?


A smith can shorten and recrowning your barrel for $100.

A 20 inch 243 will have foot long flames hanging out the barrel and be very loud but it will be lighter and point better with only a small loss in velocity.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1314
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 9:32 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Glad I've already got my toys. I have suggested he just get a 223 heavy barrel and a 308 sporter for the walking but he is a tightwad and only wants one.

Anyone here with a short barrel 243?


Just giving the chop isn’t too difficult, in fact you can do it yourself if you’re feeling brave. I have a medium profile 20” 308. Tack driver out to at least 600m, but for me even it’s just too heavy to comfortably carry around at 4.2kg scoped. Closer to 3kg is what I like for a carry.
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1290
New South Wales

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by av1 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:43 pm

Hi,
I own a varmint .308 stainless barrel Howa with boyd stock and is excellent for range work but in my view much too heavy to carry around a field for hunting.
av1
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 8
Victoria

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 9:44 pm

in2anity wrote:
Chappo wrote:I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?

Mate the throat goes first - not sure how much the profile would affect this, my guess is not much. Then again a longer 24” will give you some wiggle room to get it re-cut down the track. Also my 2c I think it’s a terrible idea lugging a varmint rifle around on foot. You just need to do it once to realize how tiring it is (compared to something light).

I agree prob not much but I was just doing some reading that suggests heat does affect barrel life although letting a barrel cool down between shots would have a bigger impact than carrying a heavier barrel. In fact a sporter barrel would cool quicker.
Attachments
AD94E231-0019-4974-9935-1521ADA5E9A3.png
AD94E231-0019-4974-9935-1521ADA5E9A3.png (237.72 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 281
New South Wales

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles