Howa varmint real life use

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa varmint real life use

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 5:10 pm

Evening all,

Long story but will cut it short.

Looking for feedback from people who own Howa 24" varmint rifles. Are these things too heavy for field use, waking all day and shooting free hand?

Noted also the fluted version. Is this much lighter and would it heap up much like the sporter barrel? Looking in 243 for mate who is only wanting to purchase one firearm.
Help is much appreciated.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 6:03 pm

I don’t mean to hijack your thread Cal (hopefully this helps you too) but what’s the point of a fluted barrel?
Looks, weight or larger surface area for heat dissipation?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 6:52 pm

My understanding is both, weight and heat dissipation. I do wonder though if the fluting makes it more like a sporter in thickness. In the end, I would want to see less heat in a 243 barrel to save some barrel life. If my thoughts above are correct, I would suspect one would be better served with the traditional varmint barrel purely for barrel life. Unless fluted is significantly lighter of course.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 6:54 pm

Is your mate reasonably fit or sits in front of the telly all day eating junk food?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 12 Mar 2019, 7:01 pm

Cal,
Howa do make a fluted varmint (#6 contour) barrelled action in both 20 and 24 inch versions. The 20 inch version would make a fine carry rifle with a suitable stock . A friend has a similar rifle but with the 24 inch barrel and when handling it a few weeks ago it was a tad muzzle heavy - i personally wouldn't use this as a stalking rifle but the 20 inch version would be a bit lighter up front.

It just depends on what you call heavy for a stalking rifle. My two lightest hunting rifles weigh 3.5 kgs (7.6lb) scoped - not ultralight weights but enough to absorb recoil and make carrying in the field a pleasure. At the other end, my three heaviest hunting rifles weight between 9.3lb-9.9lb scoped - they are not varmint barrelled or long barrelled rifles - but they still carry well in the field. But pick up the 7.6lb rifle and the 9.9lb rifle and its clearly evident.

Hope this helps your mate in some way,
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

H'day Cal,
I have the 24" fluted varmint, and yes it's a heavy bugger.
Although having said that, it's in a billet chassis with nearly a kilo of scope and a bipod on it bringing it to 6.5kg all up.
With the original stock and a smaller scope it would be less of a lump.
It doesn't matter for me as I only shoot prone due to injury induced shakes.
It is a veritable laser with the right load though.
As to heat, I rarely shoot enough shots in a row to heat it up.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:My understanding is both, weight and heat dissipation. I do wonder though if the fluting makes it more like a sporter in thickness. In the end, I would want to see less heat in a 243 barrel to save some barrel life. If my thoughts above are correct, I would suspect one would be better served with the traditional varmint barrel purely for barrel life. Unless fluted is significantly lighter of course.

Hi Cal...
I notice you say less heat for barrel life & i gather thats leant towards a heavy barrel.
But a heavy or light barrel wont dictate barrel life, the rate of fire will dictate the life.

A heavy barrel will just hold the point of impact for longer because it wont be as susceptable to thermal shift...

If you shoot 30 rounds in immediate sucession out of a 243, be it sporter or heavy barrel, you will pretty much do the same damage to the throat.

The main differences between the 2 will be that the sporter barrel will likely shift poi & spray the group after fewer shots, but will also likely cool down quicker.
The varmint barrel will put more shots in the group before shifting poi, but take longer to cool down.

If you're only likely to fire 3 or 4 shots at one time & worried about weight, get a sporter...

If however you want to head shoot 7 rabbits in quick succession at 300 yds, get a varmint or fluted varmint & deal with the weight. :thumbsup:

Thats my take on it anyway... :D

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 8:08 pm

I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2019, 8:22 pm

If your mate wants to walk around with a rifle I suggest a sporter version, varmints aren't designed for that purpose.

What exactly is he going to shoot with it that makes you think he needs a varmint barrelled version instead of a sporter version?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 8:43 pm

The thread came alive.

I personally think a sporter works be better suited to him as he will be walking a bit loving over goats and occasional pigs. He does however do a lot out of the window. We both think 243 is the go but are both thinking differently. He thinks heavy and I think light.

I was clearly off the mark with barrel wear. Thought more heat meant more wear. I was aware that heat would shift the poi but also thought shooting to that point was detrimental to barrel/throat life.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 8:46 pm

A heavy profile barrel is more than just a bigger heat sink. Thicker barrels have less whip and damp barrel harmonics better than thinner barrels of the same lenght. All things being equal the heavier barrel will be more accurate for one shot or five.

If you want a lighter better handling rifle which is also accurate, you are better off trimming a Varmint profle to 20 inches or even shorter.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 9:14 pm

Chappo wrote:I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?

Mate the throat goes first - not sure how much the profile would affect this, my guess is not much. Then again a longer 24” will give you some wiggle room to get it re-cut down the track. Also my 2c I think it’s a terrible idea lugging a varmint rifle around on foot. You just need to do it once to realize how tiring it is (compared to something light).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm

Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Glad I've already got my toys. I have suggested he just get a 223 heavy barrel and a 308 sporter for the walking but he is a tightwad and only wants one.

Anyone here with a short barrel 243?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:22 pm

My .243 HOWA synthetic came with a 22 inch barrel in blued steel
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:31 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Glad I've already got my toys. I have suggested he just get a 223 heavy barrel and a 308 sporter for the walking but he is a tightwad and only wants one.

A smith can shorten and recrowning your barrel for $100.

A 20 inch 243 will have foot long flames hanging out the barrel and be very loud but it will be lighter and point better with only a small loss in velocity.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2019, 9:32 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks fellas, will let you know which way he goes. I personally hadn't given any thought to Cutting down a barrel to around 20". What do Smith's charge for this and re-crowning? I guess though but doing this you'll lose a lot of the benefits the 243 has with velocity.

Just giving the chop isn’t too difficult, in fact you can do it yourself if you’re feeling brave. I have a medium profile 20” 308. Tack driver out to at least 600m, but for me even it’s just too heavy to comfortably carry around at 4.2kg scoped. Closer to 3kg is what I like for a carry.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by av1 » 12 Mar 2019, 9:43 pm

Hi,
I own a varmint .308 stainless barrel Howa with boyd stock and is excellent for range work but in my view much too heavy to carry around a field for hunting.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 12 Mar 2019, 9:44 pm

in2anity wrote:
Chappo wrote:I was also of the assumption that a heavy barrel equals longer life. I thought this was because hotter steel wears quicker. Am I wrong?

Mate the throat goes first - not sure how much the profile would affect this, my guess is not much. Then again a longer 24” will give you some wiggle room to get it re-cut down the track. Also my 2c I think it’s a terrible idea lugging a varmint rifle around on foot. You just need to do it once to realize how tiring it is (compared to something light).

I agree prob not much but I was just doing some reading that suggests heat does affect barrel life although letting a barrel cool down between shots would have a bigger impact than carrying a heavier barrel. In fact a sporter barrel would cool quicker.
Attachments
AD94E231-0019-4974-9935-1521ADA5E9A3.png
AD94E231-0019-4974-9935-1521ADA5E9A3.png (237.72 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Mar 2019, 10:16 pm

Cal,
Are Howa 24" varmint barrels too heavy for field use? No.
Walking all day is not a chore (although it would obviously be easier with a sporter.)
Shooting free hand? Not a chance for me but supported off sticks or a tree or post or dropping down to a kneeling or seated or prone position is a breeze.

How will your mate mostly use it? I got a varmint barrel because i managed to get in 3 hunting trips last year but 42 weekend visits to the range.
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 10:30 pm

A short barrel 243... :shock:

Not in my car when out spotlighting...!!

You'll have your fingers rammed into your ears up to your elbows... :lol:

Be a good bit of entertainment around the camp fire though... 8-)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Mar 2019, 10:46 pm

Yeah, for me 243 is already loud enough. Cutting it down would deafening the hell out of me. Recently took a mate out spotlighting. He had some fancy 223 Remington pump with 18" or so barrel. Deafening and a bloody flame thrower. Horrible firearm.

Will show him this thread tomorrow. My money is still on a regular sporter as it can be multipurpose more so than the varmint.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 10:54 pm

No you're not wrong Chappo, just not quite right...

So lets say 5 shots fired in a sporter barrel.

The same 5 shots fired in a heavy barrel.

These shots generate the same amount of heat that contributes to the same amount of thtoat/barrel wear.in both barrels.

The difference is, the varmint barrel is heavier & therefor resists "bending" (throwing shots) for longer, because it is more rigid...so all 5 shots hit the bull...
But it takes longer for that heat to travel through the thicker steel to its surface...
However, because the surface area is greater it disipates the heat quicker (once the heat is at the surface).

The sporter barrel starts to "move" (bend (?)) from the heat after only 2 or 3 shots because ot is less rigid, so the 5 shot group is a little "looser"...
But given the steel is thinner, the heat travels to the surface quicker...
However, takes longer than the heave barrel to get rid of the heat (again, only once the heat is to the surface).

Bottom line, my experience tells me a sporter barrel cools quicker...noticsble if shooting groups & waiting for barrel to cool between groups..

Not sure ive explained it that well but its the best i got right now... :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Mar 2019, 10:54 am

All very interesting.

Member-Deleted, all good points. Anything can work with the shooting sticks. I guess its more about carrying weight.

He is off to the local this Arvo. Will see how he goes.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Mar 2019, 2:47 pm

Stix wrote:

No you're not wrong Chappo, just not quite right...

So lets say 5 shots fired in a sporter barrel.

The same 5 shots fired in a heavy barrel.

These shots generate the same amount of heat that contributes to the same amount of thtoat/barrel wear.in both barrels.

The difference is, the varmint barrel is heavier & therefor resists "bending" (throwing shots) for longer, because it is more rigid...so all 5 shots hit the bull...
But it takes longer for that heat to travel through the thicker steel to its surface...
However, because the surface area is greater it disipates the heat quicker (once the heat is at the surface).

The sporter barrel starts to "move" (bend (?)) from the heat after only 2 or 3 shots because ot is less rigid, so the 5 shot group is a little "looser"...
But given the steel is thinner, the heat travels to the surface quicker...
However, takes longer than the heave barrel to get rid of the heat (again, only once the heat is to the surface).

Bottom line, my experience tells me a sporter barrel cools quicker...noticsble if shooting groups & waiting for barrel to cool between groups..

Not sure ive explained it that well but its the best i got right now... :drinks:

This ^^^^^^ - spot on!

I did a lot of research for a walker - I’ve got several other heavier barreled rifles, inc a 20” 260 that shoots straight as but is loud as proverbial. It’s also got a brake on it and ppl standing behind me feel the blast / noise quite significantly...from in car? I reckon it would brake all the windows.
After something of a journey - I ended up on a synth sauer 100 that weighs 3.1kgs scoped. Shoots remarkably well...better than it probably should.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Chappo » 13 Mar 2019, 5:35 pm

Stix, cheers mate I understand the physics, good to get my head around it’s practical implications.

Cal sorry again for hyjackin’ your thread.
Tell your mate to loosen the purse strings and buy something he’ll be happy with. I’d be surprised if he stops at just one though :drinks:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Mar 2019, 9:55 pm

All good chappo. I learnt a bit as well.

Showed him this thread. Going back on weekend to put money down on sporter. Haha.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Mar 2019, 10:08 pm

I use quite a few different Howa Varmints - great rifles and can't fault em at all and all deadly accurate, awesome value for money.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Mar 2019, 12:38 am

My experience of my brother's rifle in .223 is the Varmint is too heavy to carry comfortably and shoot offhand. Off a rest it is a laser and great value as well.If you are after a walk-around rifle then look at a different model.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 Mar 2019, 5:41 pm

Big fella, you just wanted to show off then!

He bought a sporter but is now thinking of a varmint 223. Win win.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PCHammond » 14 Mar 2019, 6:12 pm

I'm tossing up between a Howa 1500 in 223 and a T3x Varmint.

This thread is making it real hard to ignore the Howa...
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles