What rifle are you shooting this weekend?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What rifle are you shooting this weekend?

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

bigrich wrote:
bigrich wrote:The weather doesn’t look real flash, I might get to test some loads from my 22 hornet and 222.

Took the Cz American 22lr after a lowey trigger kit install, great trigger now . Found a real good load for my old Krico 22 hornet. Happy days

Nice to know my Hornet shoots... ;)

Nicer to have the load data for it... :thumbsup:

Be Nicest to have my rifle though... :(

So when are you sending it down. :unknown:

.....& i cant believe she behaves for you mate...after the way youve treated her im surprised she's not spraying minute of shed for you...!! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Mar 2019, 12:00 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigrich wrote:The weather doesn’t look real flash, I might get to test some loads from my 22 hornet and 222.

Took the Cz American 22lr after a lowey trigger kit install, great trigger now . Found a real good load for my old Krico 22 hornet. Happy days

.....& i cant believe she behaves for you mate...after the way youve treated her im surprised she's not spraying minute of shed for you...!! :lol:

:lol: good on ya stix . She missed me I suppose. The 22 hornet is a fun caliber to play with once you reload it’s bloody cheap. Using the same powder as my 357 marlin which makes it good too. I’ll still be keeping a eye out for a hornet crazed stalker in a car with south oz license plates :lol: I am thinking about offloading a ruger red label shotgun in as new condition if ya want a real classy shotgun
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2019, 2:34 pm

bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:

:lol: good on ya stix . She missed me I suppose. The 22 hornet is a fun caliber to play with once you reload it’s bloody cheap. Using the same powder as my 357 marlin which makes it good too. I’ll still be keeping a eye out for a hornet crazed stalker in a car with south oz license plates :lol: I am thinking about offloading a ruger red label shotgun in as new condition if ya want a real classy shotgun

Sorry mate...no can do...

Ive done the very undiciplined thing & impulse purchased 3 rifles in the last month...not good as i really cant afford it. :oops: ..so ive stopped looking at used guns again...!!
Hence the hints at the donation of the Hornet to me you said you would sell to me but went behind my back & sold to someone else... :lol:

Thats adultery in the gun world...i hope you been hailing many mary's & flicking them rosary beads...!!

Forgive me father for i have sinned...i treated my petite little hornet like an object, threw her out of my home for a better looker & also adulterated poor Stixy in the process... :lol: :lol:

(Just muckin around Richo... :thumbsup: )

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm

Lol I know what you saying stix. After i got my scope, I deleted used guns, so a sales and ozguns tabs vfc from my phone. Can't see all the s**t that's coming now.

My mate keep of trying me to order the ruger precision in 338....at which I just laugh at him. I need time for range and money for powder... not spend money on more guns
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Mar 2019, 3:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all good stix , you really are a card. i got a old "leige" belgian made side by side comin', i bought the ruger as it's a qaulity U/O , but after trying clays i'm a bit "meh" about clay shooting. a SXS will be more useful for the ocasional rabbit roundup i reckon. i haven't owned a SXS yet , so even for the experience it'll be worth a go . but that's it . no more guns for a while , i bin spending a bit lately , bought a second hand VX-R leupold red dot "pig plex" scope for my marlin 357 . great scope , i don't use the red dot at the range ( that's for low light circumstance in the feild ) , the finer recticles help with accuracy but. what did you recently impulse buy stix ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 17 Mar 2019, 3:45 pm

Me too.The 6-24 x 50 Bushnell was a bit big for my .222 and as I have just cleaned up my .243 Howa I think it is a better fit on there.Plus I am missing a cap so the old nighteater is going to live in the spares box for a while
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2019, 6:01 pm

bigrich wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all good stix , you really are a card. i got a old "leige" belgian made side by side comin', i bought the ruger as it's a qaulity U/O , but after trying clays i'm a bit "meh" about clay shooting. a SXS will be more useful for the ocasional rabbit roundup i reckon. i haven't owned a SXS yet , so even for the experience it'll be worth a go . but that's it . no more guns for a while , i bin spending a bit lately , bought a second hand VX-R leupold red dot "pig plex" scope for my marlin 357 . great scope , i don't use the red dot at the range ( that's for low light circumstance in the feild ) , the finer recticles help with accuracy but. what did you recently impulse buy stix ?

Im too embarrassed to say rich...

(But quietly...
A CZ 22lr--already got one in the safe (admittadely its not mine but i use it)...so dont bloody need one...!!...& still havnt bedded my brno ffs yet i buy another... :roll: :unknown: :roll: :crazy:...just silly really...woulda been better off buying something cheaper & that i dont already have..ah well...it was a decent buy so id make my money back if i needed to get rid of it...(thats the only justification i got for the purchase.. :roll: )

Also got the 310 cadet...cant afford the dies & consumables for it though--its a rite PITA to have a rifle sit there & not be able to load & shoot it..especially with fox season here-.!!!-id like to knock one over with it, cos...well just cos...ah well, maybe next year... :lol:
And i just got offered a heap of lead for salvage yard buy prices too but cant afford that either... :unknown:

Cant afford the gear for it because i also spent coin on a S/H Leupold VX3 LR scope..with my favourite reticle--the Varmint Reticle... :clap:
So .then naturally i bought some Sign ZEE rings to try with it that i cant afford either... :roll:

So thats me done for the next bugger knows how long to pay it off...!! :roll:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Islander7 » 17 Mar 2019, 7:32 pm

Shooting Weihrauch 22.hornet this weekend (thanks this forum for helping me to make right choice). Absolutely love it - efficient and not loud. Filling my freezer with wallaby meat for the week. Imo, very undervalued meat!
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 17 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

Islander7 wrote:Shooting Weihrauch 22.hornet this weekend (thanks this forum for helping me to make right choice). Absolutely love it - efficient and not loud. Filling my freezer with wallaby meat for the week. Imo, very undervalued meat!

Check my 22 hornet groups on the previous page islander. My old Krico is the grandfather to your weihrauch , they are just about identical. Great accuracy is attainable with the hornet, reloading can make them a far more efficient firearm as shot placement can make all the difference
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2019, 7:51 pm

Islander7 wrote:Shooting Weihrauch 22.hornet this weekend (thanks this forum for helping me to make right choice). Absolutely love it - efficient and not loud. Filling my freezer with wallaby meat for the week. Imo, very undervalued meat!

What cuts you baggin?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

Sounds like you got a case of buyagunitis stix. I can sympathise with ya , I’ve had it bad myself, but I’ve been on the wagon for two whole weeks now. Hello, my name is big rich, and I’m a gunaholic.....lol
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Islander7 » 17 Mar 2019, 9:50 pm

in2anity wrote:

What cuts you baggin?

Legs and tenderloin for us, and the rest goes for pets. I also make mince and then burgers, meat balls, dumplings, and even sausages (need to add pork/lamb fat). Absolutely love it, since I got it (this is my first one) we completely stopped buying meat.
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 17 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm

Islander7 wrote:
in2anity wrote:

What cuts you baggin?

Legs and tenderloin for us, and the rest goes for pets. I also make mince and then burgers, meat balls, dumplings, and even sausages (need to add pork/lamb fat). Absolutely love it, since I got it (this is my first one) we completely stopped buying meat.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Islander7 » 17 Mar 2019, 10:13 pm

bigrich wrote:

Check my 22 hornet groups on the previous page islander. My old Krico is the grandfather to your weihrauch , they are just about identical. Great accuracy is attainable with the hornet, reloading can make them a far more efficient firearm as shot placement can make all the difference

Great results mate!!

I am still having issues with mine though, that occasionally 1 in 10 empty shell gets stuck in the barrell... Not sure if it's acceptable and will go away after few hundred rounds, or should I be concerned and take it back to the supplier (in another state), I really love it otherwise and really hesitate to part with it...
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 17 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm

I had a new H&R single shot Hornet that cases got stuck in regularly.I started to carry a cleaning rod to pop them out with.When I started polishing and reloading I never had a problem again.You are using factory ammo if so avoid American brands as they tend to load heavier than European stuff.It might be something unique to hornet as the cases are so slender.Another solution might be to K ream it and the shoulders will be Raised and you can get a few more grains of powder in it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2019, 4:51 am

Islander7 wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Great results mate!!

I am still having issues with mine though, that occasionally 1 in 10 empty shell gets stuck in the barrell... Not sure if it's acceptable and will go away after few hundred rounds, or should I be concerned and take it back to the supplier (in another state), I really love it otherwise and really hesitate to part with it...

I know from the weihrauch rimfires I had , they have tight chambers ,clean the chamber regularly, it will probably sort itself out with more shots through it. I had issues with dirty factory brass in mine. What ammo brand are you using , what sort of accuracy are you getting ?

:drinks: :drinks: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 7:39 am

Got to put a couple more thru the shottie and then spent a heap of time trying to get my brand new six dollar air rifle scope zeroed. ..no problems with the scope itself(remains to be seen how long it'll last :lol: :drinks: ) but the rings seem to be cut out of empty soft drink cans so couldn't stop it sliding around. :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2019, 7:51 am

Daddybang wrote:Got to put a couple more thru the shottie and then spent a heap of time trying to get my brand new six dollar air rifle scope zeroed. ..no problems with the scope itself(remains to be seen how long it'll last :lol: :drinks: ) but the rings seem to be cut out of empty soft drink cans so couldn't stop it sliding around. :lol: :drinks:

Arildyte then in place mate, that what we did in the old days and mine haven't bugged in 35yrs :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 7:58 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Got to put a couple more thru the shottie and then spent a heap of time trying to get my brand new six dollar air rifle scope zeroed. ..no problems with the scope itself(remains to be seen how long it'll last :lol: :drinks: ) but the rings seem to be cut out of empty soft drink cans so couldn't stop it sliding around. :lol: :drinks:

Arildyte then in place mate, that what we did in the old days and mine haven't bugged in 35yrs :D

I actually looked at the arildyte but this is just an experiment to see if I wanted to put a "good" scope on it so I passed :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 18 Mar 2019, 8:49 am

Islander7 wrote:Legs and tenderloin for us, and the rest goes for pets. I also make mince and then burgers, meat balls, dumplings, and even sausages (need to add pork/lamb fat).

Good info thanks :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2019, 5:08 pm

weather permitting I ll be shooting a 500 A Square, 570grs of goodness
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Mar 2019, 5:39 pm

Bill wrote:weather permitting I ll be shooting a 500 A Square, 570grs of goodness

Nice, what action are you using?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2019, 6:19 pm

CZ550 Safari Magnum, original CZ custom shop, trued bolt face, lapped lugs, slicked action rails, as good as it gets lol

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Mar 2019, 6:39 pm

They are a very nice thing, I shot a friends 550 chambered in 450 Rigby. As close to a real Rigby rifle as I am going to get. The A Square must get your attention when you touch one off.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2019, 7:06 pm

now darn ya just had to go and mention Rigby !!!!! 450 Rigby would be a sweet shooter.

Id been looking for a 458 WM for a while when this popped up. Big fan of Col Alphin and his case designs but never imagine a cheap 500 would pop up.

No idea how it shoots yet as its only a recent investment. It came with some plinking loads lol and I bought some more Bertram 500 weatherby brass last week along with some 570 & 440gr projectiles to play with. Looking forward to cracking that magic 8000ft lbs

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

Bill wrote:now darn ya just had to go and mention Rigby !!!!! 450 Rigby would be a sweet shooter.

Id been looking for a 458 WM for a while when this popped up. Big fan of Col Alphin and his case designs but never imagine a cheap 500 would pop up.

No idea how it shoots yet as its only a recent investment. It came with some plinking loads lol and I bought some more Bertram 500 weatherby brass last week along with some 570 & 440gr projectiles to play with. Looking forward to cracking that magic 8000ft lbs

Love it, I hope your retinas are firmly attached.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

haha the the retina's will be fine, fired a lightish ZKK 602 470 Capstick years ago without issue, anyway this thing has a optional muzzle break and a mercury reducer.

I reckon 440gr at 2850fps will be the killa load....

just a shame I cant shoot this thing at any range in Sydney

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles