Remington 7615

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 7615

Post by Kumaabear » 19 Mar 2019, 7:30 am

Hey all

So considering getting a Remington 7615 as a fun .223 to have in the safe.

I had a play with one yesterday seems like it would be a nice thing to have.

Only negative I could see is although the parts fitment seemed flush and solid, the finish on the metal surfaces was not great felt like chalkboard paint. I would probably look into getting it cerakoted aftermarket..

I know it is not likely to shoot through one hole at the range like a good bolt action but that isn't what it would be for.

Anyone own one and have any feedback?
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Remington 7615

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2019, 4:04 pm

Kumaabear wrote:Hey all

So considering getting a Remington 7615 as a fun .223 to have in the safe.

I had a play with one yesterday seems like it would be a nice thing to have.

Only negative I could see is although the parts fitment seemed flush and solid, the finish on the metal surfaces was not great felt like chalkboard paint. I would probably look into getting it cerakoted aftermarket..

I know it is not likely to shoot through one hole at the range like a good bolt action but that isn't what it would be for.

Chalkboard paint is a pretty good description of Cerokote to me. Is it already Cerokoted?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 19 Mar 2019, 5:02 pm

The overseer here used one out of a helicopter last year; nailed 2 dogs with it.

This 7615 has a red-dot holographic sight on it.
Pretty sure both dogs were ~120 metres.

Overseer found it easy to line up and use. Pump action was a bit easier to use while strapped into a chopper(compared to a bolt gun).

[Overseer usually uses a Howa 1500 in .223 with a Leupold Vari-X 1, and loves the Howa]

The few times I've handled one, I found the 7615 a bit on the heavy side for a rifle to carry on a bike, but probably ideal for working out of a chopper.
The finish didnt fire me up, but no idea how it compares to Cerakote, so cant really say.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Mar 2019, 5:29 pm

For $500 you could have a Howa or for $700 the Varmint. Be nicer to shoot than the old Remington.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by vmaxaust » 21 Mar 2019, 7:13 am

Kumaabear wrote:Anyone own one and have any feedback?

Had one of these for 6 years. Fired several thousand rounds through it at the range. Lots of fun.
I have a Holosun red dot on it and frankly all it needs is a lighter trigger to make it a more accurate shooter. Even as is from a bench, prone, or leaning on a tree it's plenty accurate enough at 100-150 metres to take out almost anything.
Very fast shooting. Yes, a little heavy but mine has been very reliable shooting factory OSA ammo or my own reloads.
You can buy bolt action rifles like Ruger Ranch or Howa models much cheaper but a pump action once in a while is definitely good to have.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kumaabear » 22 Mar 2019, 7:34 am

vmaxaust wrote:

Had one of these for 6 years. Fired several thousand rounds through it at the range. Lots of fun.
I have a Holosun red dot on it and frankly all it needs is a lighter trigger to make it a more accurate shooter. Even as is from a bench, prone, or leaning on a tree it's plenty accurate enough at 100-150 metres to take out almost anything.
Very fast shooting. Yes, a little heavy but mine has been very reliable shooting factory OSA ammo or my own reloads.
You can buy bolt action rifles like Ruger Ranch or Howa models much cheaper but a pump action once in a while is definitely good to have.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback Vmax

I do think I would like to get one, honestly cost doesn't greatly concern me, I am still pretty young ;) and I don't intend to sell any of them. I take the attitude that if I have the funds available I should take a look at the cost over the time I will own it before judging the cost too much.

If I buy what I actually want, it just means I will not feel the need to sell guns to get what I should have bought in the first place.

I got distracted this time though by a lovely CZ 527 Varmint in .223 they had in store :thumbsup: Has a 24 inch heavy varmint barrel in a beautiful walnut stock and because of the correctly sized receiver for .223 it's only 3.3kg 100g heavier and the same overall length as my Model 70 EW 30-06 with a 22" light fluted barrel

Will post some pics up when the PTA arrives in the mail.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by axio » 22 Mar 2019, 8:06 pm

Hey Kumaabear, heres a few pros and cons
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9233&p=152184#p152184

My advice is if you want one get one. Also if you're going to add a full length rail get the Lucky 13 as its free floated and Aus made
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tymeout » 17 Jan 2024, 4:14 am

:D I have had one since about 2014, might be earlier. camo on barrel and receiver with desert tan collapsible stock with timney trigger. groups went from 5 inches at 100meters to 1 1/2 at 100meters with the new trigger. the 7615 was built on a 20 bore shotgun base and a shotgun trigger. always functioned well and use it for coyotes. all ammo seems to function well. this one is good and would recommend one to anyone with the money to add to a collection. i understand they are over priced now ,bought mine at auction for 700 CD
tymeout
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Return to Centerfire rifles