Rebarreling a Tikka M55 - Is it worth it?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rebarreling a Tikka M55 - Is it worth it?

Post by Ausmade » 26 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

G'day folks,

I have been looking at a Tikka M55 currently chambered in 17 Rem with the idea in having it rebarrelled in 20-222 / 20 Vartarg Turbo however I am not familiar with the pro's and con's of that action. While I would like to do it on a current Sako or Tikka action, the finances just won't allow it at this time. While the M55 I am considering is certainly at the right price point, I am looking for advice on whether it would be worth it in the long run.

Thanks all
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Rebarreling a Tikka M55 - Is it worth it?

Post by marksman » 26 Mar 2019, 1:14 pm

whether a tikka M55 or new sako or tikka it is only worth while if you are going to hang on to it and use it

they are factory actions :unknown:

I especially like the 20-222
form and shoot, simples :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 26 Mar 2019, 4:41 pm

Definately a keeper mate
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 26 Mar 2019, 4:57 pm

then get it done and enjoy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

I have seen a few builds using the M55, very good platform. And I love your idea of going 20 cal, looking to build a 20 Prac or Tac in the future.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 26 Mar 2019, 6:30 pm

Hi there.

I've done this with a .17.... rebarrell it to a 223......1 in 8 twist... easy as... your choose as to barrell maker.

The mag and bolt face are the same. The 223 is such an easy choice. They shot like laser beams trust me....good strong action. I used a heavy Douglas and it's had over 2k through it and it stills shoots like new.

Forget the wildcats keep this one as as simple as you can and you won't look back
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Mar 2019, 6:33 pm

The pre-Sako Tikka actions were more rigid, but not as refined as the post merger actions. They were very accurate out of the box, which is why the M55 (in 22-250) was selected by the British SAS as there urban counter terrorism rifle when they needed one and were given no great time to develop such a rifle. They were also used by the Australian SAS in the same role, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Mar 2019, 7:26 pm

Yes quite progressive of the SAS to use the Tikka Sporter in 22/250.. I wonder who made that decision?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 27 Mar 2019, 8:15 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have seen a few builds using the M55, very good platform. And I love your idea of going 20 cal, looking to build a 20 Prac or Tac in the future.

I have been looking at doing this for a while now, from what I have read, the 20-222 / 20 VTT has all the attributes I am looking for.

cheers
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 27 Mar 2019, 8:19 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hi there.

I've done this with a .17.... rebarrell it to a 223......1 in 8 twist... easy as... your choose as to barrell maker.

The mag and bolt face are the same. The 223 is such an easy choice. They shot like laser beams trust me....good strong action. I used a heavy Douglas and it's had over 2k through it and it stills shoots like new.

Forget the wildcats keep this one as as simple as you can and you won't look back

I already have a Lithgow 223 so I am looking for something different. I enjoy reloading and playing about with different loads and all that goes with it. Thanks for the info,

cheers
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 27 Mar 2019, 8:20 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The pre-Sako Tikka actions were more rigid, but not as refined as the post merger actions. They were very accurate out of the box, which is why the M55 (in 22-250) was selected by the British SAS as there urban counter terrorism rifle when they needed one and were given no great time to develop such a rifle. They were also used by the Australian SAS in the same role, Cheers.

Well, if its good enough for the SAS, its good enough for me!

cheers
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2019, 9:30 am

Mate if you like the action why not rebarrel it, you won't get your money back out of what it would cost but that's not really a consideration for most I wouldn't think.

Let us know what barrel/cal etc you end up going with hey :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 27 Mar 2019, 10:22 pm

I believe I am currently looking at the same rifle. Does it come with dies and some cases and projectiles, and have the large plastic bolt knob? If that is the one, it looks like a good buy from the ad. Price is certainly good, but I reckon the old .17Rem is worth a few less dollars than other calibres. I could be wrong, but the real bargains tend to be .17's from what I have seen. Stock looks great!

I had a quick look and kept looking, as I am after a Deluxe, preferably in .222. This would be a match for my LSA55 Deluxe in .243. I think they are an excellent rifle, both mine and my fathers M55 in .222, have been faultless, and I love mine. Had it since I was 16 years old, and doubt I will ever part with it. Had it 32 years now.

If that .17 floats your boat I say grab it!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm

I have a mate that bought an M55 .222R way back in 1995 and that bloody thing shot just about anything you put in it at 100y at .4moa or less for 5 shots so go for it and if you are a right hander you will love the stock too ........

Cheers D
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 28 Mar 2019, 1:40 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Mate if you like the action why not rebarrel it, you won't get your money back out of what it would cost but that's not really a consideration for most I wouldn't think.

Rebarreling into a 20-222 / 20 VTT is the plan, just weighing up what action to use.

cheers
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 28 Mar 2019, 1:45 pm

GQshayne wrote:I believe I am currently looking at the same rifle. Does it come with dies and some cases and projectiles, and have the large plastic bolt knob? If that is the one, it looks like a good buy from the ad. Price is certainly good, but I reckon the old .17Rem is worth a few less dollars than other calibres. I could be wrong, but the real bargains tend to be .17's from what I have seen. Stock looks great!

I had a quick look and kept looking, as I am after a Deluxe, preferably in .222. This would be a match for my LSA55 Deluxe in .243. I think they are an excellent rifle, both mine and my fathers M55 in .222, have been faultless, and I love mine. Had it since I was 16 years old, and doubt I will ever part with it. Had it 32 years now.

If that .17 floats your boat I say grab it!

Thats the one mate! I would be rebarreling it in 20-222 or 20VTT so I was looking for info as I am not familiar with that model Tikka. Looks like it's a thumbs up from you then,

Cheers!
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Mar 2019, 2:50 pm

Ausmade wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Mate if you like the action why not rebarrel it, you won't get your money back out of what it would cost but that's not really a consideration for most I wouldn't think.

Rebarreling into a 20-222 / 20 VTT is the plan, just weighing up what action to use.

cheers

Nice choice mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 28 Mar 2019, 9:07 pm

Yep, thumbs up from me for sure. I am going to look at a .222 Deluxe tomorrow. Hopefully it is in good condition. The stock on the .17 looks in great condition. but the Deluxe stocks are something else.

I find them to be well balanced, very accurate, and have exceptional triggers. And I do like old stuff.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 19 Mar 2020, 5:13 pm

The M55 are best of tikka, I believe. I would do the same, before buying a new modern tikka
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Rathie » 17 Apr 2020, 8:50 pm

I have a later m55 in 222 that's shooting way under 1 inch, so not going to touch her.

Have a 17 Rem m55 on the way. Picked her up for a good price. Will likely be rebarrel as a 6x45 or 6tcu - depending on who does the work and available reamer.

Nice slick action and no plastic.
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 17 Apr 2020, 8:55 pm

Rathie wrote:I have a later m55 in 222 that's shooting way under 1 inch, so not going to touch her.

Have a 17 Rem m55 on the way. Picked her up for a good price. Will likely be rebarrel as a 6x45 or 6tcu - depending on who does the work and available reamer.

Nice slick action and no plastic.

Nice! Spot on! Real rifles are wood and steel!!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Apr 2020, 8:22 pm

Good little action the M55, well worth sticking a new barrel in one.

Not sure that every rifle has to be wood and steel. I have a few that have a chassis or composite stocks and they are pretty real. Shoot well too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rathie » 22 Apr 2020, 9:10 pm

I'm an old fashion bloke. I like modern as well - but older is generally also less expensive (ssshhh....thats what I tell the Minister for Finance)
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brinny » 24 Apr 2020, 7:58 pm

Not sure about going down the rebarreling path....Tried that with a new Sako 85 i wanted to rebarrel to 17 rem but got the biggest stuff around from the gunshop of all times....eventually abandoned the idea and sold the Sako and bought a Tikka M55 with a pretty new Madco SS barrel chambered in 17 Rem fitted also with a Geoff Slee thumbhole stock....and have since fitted a 6 shot mag to it....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rathie » 25 Apr 2020, 10:21 am

That's a nice looking rifle Brinny. How does she shoot?

Sorry to hear of your drama with the gunsmith- care to elaborate?

Cheers
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Apr 2020, 1:04 pm

that is a really nice looking rifle Brinny, l'm a fan of them leupold LR scopes as well :thumbsup:

you should know better than going to a gunshop to organise rebarreling, better to go to the source :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 25 Apr 2020, 3:45 pm

Rathie wrote:That's a nice looking rifle Brinny. How does she shoot?

Sorry to hear of your drama with the gunsmith- care to elaborate?

Cheers

It really is a nice rifle...but its very heavy with that stock...
It shoots very well but i have only put factory ammo through it at present...Still havent got around to load development yet with the reloads....

As far as the rebarreling problems with the gunshop....With all respect...id rather not elaborate....Even though i had issues there...im not going to bag it out as things are tough enough for gunshops as it is at the moment and regardless of what i think....they need all the support we can give them....
Did leave a very sour taste in my mouth when it was all going on...but time to get over it and move on.....and thats for the best.... :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 25 Apr 2020, 3:49 pm

marksman wrote:that is a really nice looking rifle Brinny, l'm a fan of them leupold LR scopes as well :thumbsup:

Up until i started into thermal, Leupold was the prefered scope for me as well...

you should know better than going to a gunshop to organise rebarreling, better to go to the source :drinks:

It really was a complete stuff up right from the word go....just wanted to support the local business as im a big advocate of that.....learnt my lesson there...
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 27 Apr 2020, 8:00 pm

brinny wrote:
It really is a nice rifle...but its very heavy with that stock...
It shoots very well but i have only put factory ammo through it at present...Still havent got around to load development yet with the reloads....

As far as the rebarreling problems with the gunshop....With all respect...id rather not elaborate....Even though i had issues there...im not going to bag it out as things are tough enough for gunshops as it is at the moment and regardless of what i think....they need all the support we can give them....
Did leave a very sour taste in my mouth when it was all going on...but time to get over it and move on.....and thats for the best.... :drinks:

Plenty of good load data for W760, but that is no longer being imported by Winchester. Hodgdon CFE223 also gets good reports, but I dunno how hard that will be to get where you live. Not easy here. That leaves AR2208 - good results, but will not flow as nicely as the ball powder. My container of W760 will last me a while, and then I will need to find a substitute.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ankles » 09 Dec 2021, 3:36 pm

Rebarreled an LSA 55 in 22/250 back in 2004 to.308 with a Maddco barrel medium contour and found it an extremely accurate rifle
Ankles
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles