BP Target rifle.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

BP Target rifle.

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Mar 2019, 9:15 pm

Ok so it's not a cente fire rifle, but in the absence of a blackpowder section (hint hint admin) I'll just leave this here.

I'm looking for a quality BP muzzleloader that's capable of firing heavy conicals.
I'd like to try my hand at reaching out a bit further with a muzzleloader.

My 1 in 48 twist Euroarms 50cal is definitely fun with patched balls ... I just want to step things up a notch.

Have any of our resident BP shooters had any experience with the Pederdoli Gibbs ?

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipolo ... gibbs.html
images (4).jpeg
images (4).jpeg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: BP Target rifle.

Post by bigpete » 27 Mar 2019, 5:00 am

No unfortunately I don't, but being pedersoli it should be excellent
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Ok so it's not a cente fire rifle, but in the absence of a blackpowder section (hint hint admin) I'll just leave this here.

I'm looking for a quality BP muzzleloader that's capable of firing heavy conicals.
I'd like to try my hand at reaching out a bit further with a muzzleloader.

My 1 in 48 twist Euroarms 50cal is definitely fun with patched balls ... I just want to step things up a notch.

Have any of our resident BP shooters had any experience with the Pederdoli Gibbs ?

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipolo ... gibbs.html
images (4).jpeg

I like that!
What sort of money do they start at?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2019, 3:19 pm

Pedersoli.....excellent??? Yeah,....NAH!
Build quality of Pedersolis is fairly ordinary compared with other brands of blackpowder rifles like Shiloh, CPA, C.Sharps and even Ubertis.
AND, before all of the usual bleating starts, YES, I do own a Pedersoli Gibbs, bought it brand new from Forbes Wholesale, $2650.
However, while the build quality is fairly ordinary for the price, ( I expected better ), I will give it its dues with regards accuracy.
Throw the Pedersoli sight in the rubbish bin where it belongs, replace it with a good quality long range soule and you can now begin to extract some pretty good accuracy out of them. I run a 530 grain bullet out of a Buffalo Arms Creedmoor mold, cast from 20:1, on top of anywhere from 75 to 105 grains of 1.5F Swiss for really good results from 300 out to 1000 yards.
The Pedersoli Gibbs is the most popular replica M/L for long range competition and excellent results have been achieved with them. They are also about the only one you can readily get your hands on unless you want to wait a couple of years for a custom made rifle.
Here's a couple of the first targets I shot with mine. The 300m plate was 15 inches square and 10 shots were fired without adjustments or spotting.
The 1000 yard target size is regulation Long Range Muzzleloader, ( 48" aiming mark ), scores at 44, ( I put the first 3 shots over the top ), the average at last World Titles was 37.
Shot according to rules; i.e. prone using sling, iron sights, blackpowder and plain cast projectile, 15 shots for score . Constant adjustments being made to try to centre the shots.

1st outing Gibbs at 300m.jpg
1st outing Gibbs at 300m.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

Gibbs 1000 yds.jpg
Gibbs 1000 yds.jpg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Last edited by Gamerancher on 27 Mar 2019, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Mar 2019, 3:37 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Pedersoli.....excellent??? Yeah,....NAH!
Build quality of Pedersolis is fairly ordinary compared with other brands of blackpowder rifles like Shiloh, CPA, C.Sharps and even Ubertis.
AND, before all of the usual bleating starts, YES, I do own a Pedersoli Gibbs, bought it brand new from Forbes Wholesale, $2650.
However, while the build quality is fairly ordinary for the price, ( I expected better ), I will give it its dues with regards accuracy.
Throw the Pedersoli sight in the rubbish bin where it belongs, replace it with a good quality long range soule and you can now begin to extract some pretty good accuracy out of them. I run a 530 grain bullet out of a Buffalo Arms Creedmoor mold, cast from 20:1, on top of anywhere from 75 to 105 grains of 1.5F Swiss for really good results from 300 out to 1000 yards.
The Pedersoli Gibbs is the most popular replica M/L for long range competition and excellent results have been achieved with them. They are also about the only one you can readily get your hands on unless you want to wait a couple of years for a custom made rifle.
Here's a couple of the first targets I shot with mine. The 300m plate was 15 inches square and shot without adjustments or spotting.
The 1000 yard target size is regulation Long Range Muzzleloader, ( 48" aiming mark ), scores at 44, ( I put the first 3 shots over the top ), the average at last World Titles was 37.
Shot according to rules; i.e. prone using sling, iron sights, blackpowder and plain cast projectile. Constant adjustments being made to try to centre the shots.

1st outing Gibbs at 300m.jpg

Gibbs 1000 yds.jpg

Thanks Gamerancher, that's the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

What specifically would you recommend in the same price range?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2019, 4:00 pm

The Pedersoli Gibbs. :lol:
As I said, build quality is a bit lacking, but there just isn't anything else available here in Aus "off-the -shelf".
There are custom build options available in the U.S, just not here. :thumbsdown:
Pedersoli's tend to have good barrels, it's just the fit and finish that lets them down in my opinion. Others may beg to differ.
At first glance they look pretty presentable, it's just when you can compare them to other brands of similar rifles that it becomes apparent.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Mar 2019, 4:17 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The Pedersoli Gibbs. :lol:
As I said, build quality is a bit lacking, but there just isn't anything else available here in Aus "off-the -shelf".
There are custom build options available in the U.S, just not here. :thumbsdown:
Pedersoli's tend to have good barrels, it's just the fit and finish that lets them down in my opinion. Others may beg to differ.
At first glance they look pretty presentable, it's just when you can compare them to other brands of similar rifles that it becomes apparent.

Understood :thumbsup:

My next move is to get the current prices for both the standard and the deluxe....

Thanks again bud.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2019, 4:22 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The Pedersoli Gibbs. :lol:

Is there any option at all to allow building your own BP rifle in Oz, like most other countries can do?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2019, 4:37 pm

I know you used to be able to buy kits that you basically blued the metal parts, sanded the rough stock and assembled. They were pretty basic cap and ball , Kentucky style rifles, ( at least the ones my uncle used to build were ), not really target style rifles that O.P was asking about.
I supose you could go through the trouble of importing one but I reckon the cost would not be worthwhile.
After handling an original John Rigby rifle that had been shot by a member of the Irish team against the U.S team at the original Creedmoor match I was keen to get my hands on at least a replica. No one seemed to make one but I found a mob in the U.S that made a kit for one at what seemed a reasonable price. I looked at the costs involved in importing one but between that and other associated costs it just worked out easier to buy the Gibbs. ( I had time constraints as well ).
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles