Tikka model production info needed.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka model production info needed.

Post by GQshayne » 27 Mar 2019, 10:38 pm

I have just figured out, after owning my Tikka LSA55 for 32 years, that I may not really know what model it is after all. :?

I always thought it was a Tikka LSA55, and that it was an early model, subsequently replaced in later years by the Tikka M55. But now as I am looking at rifles for sale, I am seeing the same thing for each model, with similar serial numbers. So I did some googling. This is what I think has gone on.

Tikka rifles were sold in the US, branded by the company that imported them - Ithaka. That model was known as the LSA55 in the US. I cannot see that an Ithaca rifle was called an M55 though. My original LSA55 recoil pad had Ithaca written on it.

Also, some model and serial number googling on Tikkas shows the M55 made from the late 1960's, so my original theory of model run is wrong, and nowhere is the model LSA mentioned at all. So it looks to me as if the two models are actually the same rifle, simply branded for a different market, and that somewhere along the line Australia has received rifles designated for both European and US markets.

Does anyone have any info on this subject, as that would really help with my searching for another rifle.

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Tikka model production info needed.

Post by Noisydad » 28 Mar 2019, 6:55 am

Found the warranty card for my M55 .222 (with the big plastic bolt knob) that I bought on the 8/1/82 . Still a tack driver. Cost me my entire first pay cheque and the next months cheque went into the Bushnell Banner 3-9 scope and Hillver bridge mount and both are still on the rifle.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Mar 2019, 2:47 pm

Not uncommon for some manufacturers to do that mate, I know Howa made plenty of different brands (all model 1500's with different brands on the action etc).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Mar 2019, 2:49 pm

Noisydad wrote:Found the warranty card for my M55 .222 (with the big plastic bolt knob) that I bought on the 8/1/82 . Still a tack driver. Cost me my entire first pay cheque and the next months cheque went into the Bushnell Banner 3-9 scope and Hillver bridge mount and both are still on the rifle.

Speaking of Tack Drivers ND, I got bored one day shooting groups so I decided to shoot the tacks holding the target up, 4 shots and it was on the ground :lol: That's real "Tack Drivin" :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 28 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm

If my rememberer is working right, Sako owned and made Tikka gear in the early 80s.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 28 Mar 2019, 9:02 pm

1983 Tikka was bought by Sako. Not sure at what point any manufacturing changed though.

I have had a look at a couple of rifles online today, and they look identical, apart from the forend chequering, but given different year models of production you would have to expect that. I am going to have a look at an M55 Deluxe tomorrow, so I will see how it compares to my LSA. Serial numbers indicate my LSA is a lot older, but by how many years I dunno. I could not work out the serial number referencing to check.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 Mar 2019, 7:54 pm

Well after a trip to the gun shop to look at the rifle, I find out they have sold it, and not updated their website or gun sales ad. Poo.

Oh, well, back to checking ads again.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles