Howa 6mm BR build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 6mm BR build

Post by andym79 » 02 Apr 2019, 3:30 pm

Hi guys, I am going to build a Howa rifle in 6mm BR.

A Krieger barrel is on order. I have a 243 donor rifle.

I am set on my projectile and twist, but am not sure what stock or chassis to go for!

I am looking for one that will maximize accuracy potential without breaking the bank.

Please recommend stocks or chassis to go for.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Howa 6mm BR build

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 3:48 pm

andym79 wrote:Hi guys, I am going to build a Howa rifle in 6mm BR.

A Krieger barrel is on order. I have a 243 donor rifle.

I am set on my projectile and twist, but am not sure what stock or chassis to go for!

I am looking for one that will maximize accuracy potential without breaking the bank.

Please recommend stocks or chassis to go for.

Thanks

MDT LSS chassis is hard to beat for the price.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 02 Apr 2019, 3:54 pm

Not sure if they are selling the whole thing or just a skeleton, not sure it includes the butt stock part of the system or if that is extra and you can make a choice as to which one?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 4:23 pm

andym79 wrote:Not sure if they are selling the whole thing or just a skeleton, not sure it includes the butt stock part of the system or if that is extra and you can make a choice as to which one?

I've never seen anywhere selling complete chassis, usually just the chassis itself. Then you buy the buffer tube and lock nut, butt stock, grip and magazine, and folder adapter if you want. Without the folder adapter you can get everything else from about $150, or up to $1000 if you want top-tier items. The folder adapters run from $90 up to several hundred.

Does the 6BR generally feed okay through standard .308 mags? The MDT LSS uses AICS mags. If you're outside Victoria you'll probably have to use a fixed stock, like the standard M16 stock, which uses a rifle-length buffer tube.

MDT can supply all the peripherals but they're expensive.
https://mdttac.com/ca_en/lss-chassis-system.html
Last edited by bladeracer on 02 Apr 2019, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2019, 5:21 pm

Talk to your gunsmith what mags will likely work mate. For stock look at krg bravo... similar to ac traditional stock but is fully bedded block. Otherwise Boyd's or even GRS but the fancy more expensive polymer one... not the cheapest one
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2019, 7:43 pm

Shehane Tracker stock if you are competing, it will maximise the accuracy potential of your Howa. A chassis will restrict you to shooting off a bipod.

What lenght barrel and what projectile are you using. What are you going to use it for? Are you going to run a tight neck and neck turn your cases?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 02 Apr 2019, 8:16 pm

I want to run a normal neck, I am sure neck turning improves accuracy but I just can't be bothered with all that extra hassle to squeeze the last drops of accuracy out of it!

Not when for less effort more can be gained,like a good barrel, free floating, good trigger, right load and good projectiles.

MY Krieger, when it arrives is #6 1:13. The barrel will be supplied at 28", but I have not decided on a final length, though I think shorter than 28" for sure! I plan on shooting, at the moment projectiles are likely, but may not be as follows Nosler 70gr varmageddon, Sierra 70gr matchking, Speer 70gr TNT. I know someone in NSW who makes bullets for 6mm but I not sure how good they are, I assume pretty good as they are for Benchrest.
Last edited by andym79 on 02 Apr 2019, 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 02 Apr 2019, 8:19 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Shehane Tracker stock if you are competing, it will maximise the accuracy potential of your Howa. A chassis will restrict you to shooting off a bipod.

What lenght barrel and what projectile are you using. What are you going to use it for? Are you going to run a tight neck and neck turn your cases?

I don't want to be restricted to a bipod, is something like the KRG bravo only suitable for Bipod and not a rest?

Do you know what a Shehane cost and who sells them in Aus? Google is return little compared with other options.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

Yours a short range/hunting gun then.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 8:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Shehane Tracker stock if you are competing, it will maximise the accuracy potential of your Howa. A chassis will restrict you to shooting off a bipod.

I don't have bipods on my chassis all the time, sometimes I shoot them naked and sometimes rested on a bag. Makes no difference if it's a chassis or a conventional stock.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 02 Apr 2019, 8:30 pm

Ziad wrote:Yours a short range/hunting gun then.

The idea is to push small bullets fast and shoot it mostly within 200 metres for hunting and bench shooting.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2019, 8:55 pm

If you want to go hunting then a Benchrest stock is out. Perhaps a GRS stock and put a three inch fore end adapter on it when you compete.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 03 Apr 2019, 7:53 am

Who does sell Shehane stocks though?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Apr 2019, 8:18 am

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Apr 2019, 7:02 pm

andym79 wrote:Who does sell Shehane stocks though?

You may have to buy it in the US or you could use someone like Metplat to import it for you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Apr 2019, 7:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
andym79 wrote:Who does sell Shehane stocks though?

You may have to buy it in the US or you could use someone like Metplat to import it for you.

Why would you need to use a broker for a stock?
Can't you order direct from McMillan? It just says that orders from outside the US require a non-refundable 10% deposit.
https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/mcmillan-benchrest-stocks-2/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 03 Apr 2019, 8:11 pm

Because the US government won't let companies export over $100 without a permit and its usually cheaper to use a broker than pay $400 for the permit
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Apr 2019, 8:25 pm

I dont really think a shehan tracker is the best choice for a hunting rifle because it has a flat bottomed buttstock instead of an angle for making vertical adjustments
my pro hunter boss bought one for his 22 br when he had it built for head shots out to 200 but he had to make up a wedge shape to go under his rear rest because the ground is not always dead flat
IMHO a marksman stock (excuse the pun) like on the ruger vt's would be more user friendly
like this one http://www.rifle-stocks.com/marksman.htm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Apr 2019, 8:26 pm

andym79 wrote:Because the US government won't let companies export over $100 without a permit and its usually cheaper to use a broker than pay $400 for the permit

Companies with export licences can export. The fee is US$250.
I would email McMillan and ask them, they'll know.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 28 Jul 2019, 9:22 pm

Still out on this one, the project has stalled on account of not wanting to get the wrong stock/chassis.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jul 2019, 10:30 pm

Do Southfort Labs carbon stocks do anything for you?

Otherwise I don't think you would go wrong with a chassis.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 31 Jul 2019, 7:23 am

I have been looking at chassis again. The MDT lss and oryx as well as the KRG bravo.

Which of those do you think is the best?

I think the KRG bravo looks best but cost a fair bit more than the Oryx.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bobnob » 29 Nov 2020, 7:35 am

Hello Andy. I just built a 6BR on a Howa (Vanguard) action. I just have it in a standard wood stock at present. It’s a b*tch to get to feed from the internal mag of course but I’m single loading it at the moment.

I’m going to try to get it to feed from the mag but may go the AICS mag footprint route with the Primal Rights style spacer kit if I can’t get it to work.

I went 1-7” twist and it shoots the 105g Hornady BTHP very nicely at this early stage of the game.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 29 Nov 2020, 2:52 pm

Just the standard HOWA walnut stock on my custom. Glass-bedded. They are a very chunky forend, not bad for both bagged shooting and also service sling.

howa_small.jpg
howa_small.jpg (518.99 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 30 Nov 2020, 1:49 pm

What magazine setup you running there in2anity? And does it work?
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Nov 2020, 5:32 pm

bobnob that’s the Lucky13 10-shot kit. And yes it’s 100% reliable. I need the 10-shot as I use it in Service matches (non-service class).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 30 Nov 2020, 6:33 pm

Copy thanks.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles