Help sought with new rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Help sought with new rifle

Post by JTF91 » 19 Apr 2019, 10:16 pm

Hello all,

I've had a Ruger American Centrefire for some time now and have been relatively happy with it. The one gripe I had since it's purchase has been the cheap polymer factory stock. Recently I found Boyds and their range of laminate replacement stocks, so I ordered one and fitted it to my barreled action.

The problem I am faced with, is that the comb of the stock is a few millimetres too high for the bolt to fully retract, therefore I am forced to carefully cycle the bolt as slowly as possible every time I fire, so to avoid carving up the stocks nice finish.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to raise the action without affecting the function of my rifle, but allowing the bolt to clear the stock?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
JTF91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Help sought with new rifle

Post by Chappo » 20 Apr 2019, 10:48 am

Seems odd that Boyd’s would make a stock inletted for your Ruger that fouls the bolt?

Can we see a photo?

Stupid question but did you buy the right stock?
Perhaps you’ve been supplied a Ruger American rim fire stock by mistake?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JTF91 » 20 Apr 2019, 11:13 am

Definitely the right stock. Nice snug fit, dropped right in no work needed. The bolt functions, it's just a hair too low and rubs up on the stock which I'm sure will damage it if I forget and cycle it as I normally would.

I'll get a photo to show exactly what I mean.
Attachments
20190420_111637.jpg
20190420_111637.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 4169 times
JTF91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2019, 11:30 am

JTF91 wrote:Hello all,

I've had a Ruger American Centrefire for some time now and have been relatively happy with it. The one gripe I had since it's purchase has been the cheap polymer factory stock. Recently I found Boyds and their range of laminate replacement stocks, so I ordered one and fitted it to my barreled action.

The problem I am faced with, is that the comb of the stock is a few millimetres too high for the bolt to fully retract, therefore I am forced to carefully cycle the bolt as slowly as possible every time I fire, so to avoid carving up the stocks nice finish.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to raise the action without affecting the function of my rifle, but allowing the bolt to clear the stock?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Very odd. My brother put a Boyd on his .243 Predator without this problem. I can ask him how close the bolt gets to the comb.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2019, 12:02 pm

sand it back and refinish it with tru oil :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2019, 1:45 pm

Could you pack the rear of the action with a piece of business card?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JTF91 » 20 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

I'd like to avoid sanding the stock if I can, I'm not overly confident, and I'm afraid I'd botch it somehow.

The card might work, or a metal washer between the action screw and bedding block I thought?

Any solution that doesn't involve modifying the stock would be preferred.
JTF91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2019, 2:14 pm

Send a picture to Boyds ask for their input they may have a ready solution .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 20 Apr 2019, 2:17 pm

JTF91 wrote:I'd like to avoid sanding the stock if I can, I'm not overly confident, and I'm afraid I'd botch it somehow.

The card might work, or a metal washer between the action screw and bedding block I thought?

Any solution that doesn't involve modifying the stock would be preferred.

Yeah nah, your options will destroy what accuracy the rifle has, your best and only option is to sand the stock down to suit and refinish with oil, preferably Tru Oil. I have a few Boyds stocks that have had slight mods done and you wouldn't pick them, its only laminated timber that is easy to work with :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 20 Apr 2019, 3:06 pm

As above. The Boyd’s I have played with were all lacquered . They are easy to sand and refinish. Sand away and refinish with a spray lacquer in Matt or high gloss depending on what the stock is now. Don’t change the action unless you do a very good, high set bedding job.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JTF91 » 20 Apr 2019, 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'll be trying to sand it. Fingers crossed I don't overdo it, it's a really nice stock.
JTF91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2019, 5:04 pm

you will be surprised how easy it is to do :thumbsup:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKMzNfd-mXQ
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Apr 2019, 6:28 am

Why wouldn’t you take it to the retailer and show them the problem? It’s meant to be made for this particular rifle - there would be thousands of complaints if this was common. This might be a one off fault...
If you modify the stock and then shoot it - it splits in half, or what ever - you may have have nil recourse.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2019, 8:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:Why wouldn’t you take it to the retailer and show them the problem? It’s meant to be made for this particular rifle - there would be thousands of complaints if this was common. This might be a one off fault...
If you modify the stock and then shoot it - it splits in half, or what ever - you may have have nil recourse.

It won't fall apart, it's laminated (think sheets of timber glued together) all he really needs to do is file down a bit of a flat spot to the area that the bolt is touching, won't take but a minute to sort out in reality, then some sort of clear coat on it to reseal. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2019, 2:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Why wouldn’t you take it to the retailer and show them the problem? It’s meant to be made for this particular rifle - there would be thousands of complaints if this was common. This might be a one off fault...

Maybe he prefers to fix a minor problem and go shooting rather than spend weeks sorting it out your way?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JTF91 » 21 Apr 2019, 6:56 pm

The retailer I bought it off is a state away, and the company is across an ocean, not really left with much choice but to either try to sand it myself or find someone skilled to do it for me.

I haven't yet bedded the action, I just bolted it in, I am hoping the bedding compound will raise it just enough to avoid having to modify anything. It really is just off by a millimetre or two.
JTF91
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

JTF91,
From your pic, it looks like the tang is neither too high nor too low. Therefore it looks like your action is not too deep in to the stock. So, if your rifle is accurate enough, I would not bed it. IMO, just modifying the comb, or the nose of the comb, should suffice.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Apr 2019, 7:30 pm

Take it hunting and get some scratches on it. Problem solved
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 8:59 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:JTF91,
From your pic, it looks like the tang is neither too high nor too low. Therefore it looks like your action is not too deep in to the stock. So, if your rifle is accurate enough, I would not bed it. IMO, just modifying the comb, or the nose of the comb, should suffice.

i'm real good with sculpting stuff with a 4" grinder with a 60-80 grit sanding disc, find someone close by who's competant with one,a couple of $ at bunnings for the right finish and go shoot . if it's a hunter you're going to get knocks and battle scars on it no matter how hard you try to look after it :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 21 Apr 2019, 9:25 pm

JTF91,
It doesn't matter if the dealer is in another state - if the product is faulty and obviously in your case it is as it doesn't allow the bolt to fully retract the dealer should offer you a replacement PLUS reimburse your post costs.
Dealers know the rules .......and they should be obliging and give you a brand new unit for your ruger.

Call them and speak to the Manager - not sales staff.
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Apr 2019, 1:51 am

JTF91 wrote:The retailer I bought it off is a state away, and the company is across an ocean, not really left with much choice but to either try to sand it myself or find someone skilled to do it for me.

I haven't yet bedded the action, I just bolted it in, I am hoping the bedding compound will raise it just enough to avoid having to modify anything. It really is just off by a millimetre or two.

I was surprised to see these stocks don't have pillars. The lami is easily compressed so I would really prefer to make some aluminium pillars if you're going to bed it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 22 Apr 2019, 7:59 pm

Bladeracer,
totally concur with your point of view about the Boyds laminate............I bought one in the years ago when they retailed from CF in QLD for around $170 and had it pillar and glass bedded for around $300. Thus this stock has set me back almost $500.........

Maybe these days a Bell & Carlson with the full length alloy bedding block is a better bet,??
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Apr 2019, 5:16 am

bladeracer wrote:

Maybe he prefers to fix a minor problem and go shooting rather than spend weeks sorting it out your way?

Maybe he doesn’t have the time or skills or knowledge to do the job properly...maybe he wasn’t aware he is entitled to a replacement/refund/fix? Maybe, the minor problem ends up being a major problem, if he completely screws it up or the laminate is under pressure and flexes when the polymer is sanded off, he’s out $500 as a result, he won’t care cause $500 is easy come and easy go? Maybe, it would take a 30 second phone call to ask the retailer about a common problem - not weeks as you elude?...maybe Australian consumer law is a right / and maybe it’s not “my way”.
Maybe... :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deanp100 » 23 Apr 2019, 7:40 am

I seriously doubt that a couple of strokes with some sandpaper is going to allow the stock to spontaneously explode. There is no skill required. Just do it ffs. Even the Boyds website says “ do not assume it will be a perfect fit. Some minor fitting may be required”.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Apr 2019, 8:10 am

deanp100 wrote:I seriously doubt that a couple of strokes with some sandpaper is going to allow the stock to spontaneously explode. There is no skill required. Just do it ffs. Even the Boyds website says “ do not assume it will be a perfect fit. Some minor fitting may be required”.

That’s the loophole the retailer will probably use to say “go take it to a stock maker/gunsmith “ . It can’t hurt to ask the retailer, I agree. But these laminated stocks are reshaped all the time and are far more robust than wood.JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles