Got the little Ruger American Rifle Ranch 300AAC/BLK singing

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Got the little Ruger American Rifle Ranch 300AAC/BLK sin

Post by JimTom » 06 May 2019, 7:12 pm

Let us know how it works out mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 May 2019, 8:33 pm

gunnnie wrote:Have found the OP's initial posts re what he's done to his RARR & plan on doing the same with my Ruger.
Using the Outback factory rounds loaded with 125gn SMK's, my rifle will put 5rds into .5" @100m. The Woodleigh loaded factory ammo is not as good but not shabby either, at around the inch @ 100m for 5rds.

I have a range of various 30cal pills from 110 - 135gn to use in reloads. Also have Lil'gun, 2205 & 296 powders to work with. I'm also keen to trial sml pistol primers. I use these for my Hornet & K-Hornet loads.

It seems a lot of people have success with the 125gr pills doesn't it. I should really give mine a run with some pricier pills - but tbh moa is enough for me - i shoot mainly field positional so i don't need insane accuracy - poor shots come from me more than the rifle!

Given pricing, the Rugers are accurate guns - in a time not so long ago you'd spend a lot of money getting a rifle to shoot like that - just goes to show how much barrel making has improved.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 07 May 2019, 6:52 am

So true mate.
I've been a long time fan of Savage rifles & out of the box they were known for being accurate. The RARR & RPR didn't disappoint either.
The one new rifle that did surprise me though was my Zastava LK M70 in 9.3x62Mauser. The 'average ' synthetic stock & light, light barrel is not what I would consider an accuracy rig. But, with facttory PPU 286gn rounds, this rifle puts 3rds into .6" @ 100m, blowing out to .8" for 5rds.
I picked up a Manners stock for it in the hope it will tame the recoil a little. I just hope the accuracy ability remains.
Last edited by gunnnie on 04 Sep 2019, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2019, 8:06 am

in2anity wrote:
gunnnie wrote:Have found the OP's initial posts re what he's done to his RARR & plan on doing the same with my Ruger.
Using the Outback factory rounds loaded with 125gn SMK's, my rifle will put 5rds into .5" @100m. The Woodleigh loaded factory ammo is not as good but not shabby either, at around the inch @ 100m for 5rds.

I have a range of various 30cal pills from 110 - 135gn to use in reloads. Also have Lil'gun, 2205 & 296 powders to work with. I'm also keen to trial sml pistol primers. I use these for my Hornet & K-Hornet loads.

It seems a lot of people have success with the 125gr pills doesn't it. I should really give mine a run with some pricier pills - but tbh moa is enough for me - i shoot mainly field positional so i don't need insane accuracy - poor shots come from me more than the rifle!

Given pricing, the Rugers are accurate guns - in a time not so long ago you'd spend a lot of money getting a rifle to shoot like that - just goes to show how much barrel making has improved.

Yes mate the 125gr SST seems to do the trick with mine. This is 5 shots at 100m. Well and truly good enough for what I do. Disregard the the 123 SST annotation on the target. I must have been having a moment.
Attachments
915C53C7-EC3C-4C89-8DBA-1DB2E62F2ADB.jpeg
915C53C7-EC3C-4C89-8DBA-1DB2E62F2ADB.jpeg (609.2 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 May 2019, 11:49 am

JimTom wrote:Yes mate the 125gr SST seems to do the trick with mine. This is 5 shots at 100m. Well and truly good enough for what I do. Disregard the the 123 SST annotation on the target. I must have been having a moment.

Is that with AR2205? also what primers are you using?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2019, 12:53 pm

Yeah mate, Hornady 125SST, AR2205, and Federal small rifle primers, loaded in ADI brass.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 May 2019, 2:31 pm

JimTom wrote:Yeah mate, Hornady 125SST, AR2205, and Federal small rifle primers, loaded in ADI brass.

Interesting - i have a tonne of Winchester small pistol primers and AR2205. Might be worth a revisit with your 17.5gr load :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2019, 3:20 pm

I seated the projectiles to the cannelure however did not crimp. Seems to work for me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2019, 3:32 pm

I seated the projectiles to the cannelure however did not crimp. Seems to work for me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 May 2019, 4:02 pm

JimTom wrote:I seated the projectiles to the cannelure however did not crimp. Seems to work for me.

crimps are for levers ;) :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2019, 4:17 pm

:thumbsup:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 07 May 2019, 10:26 pm

So that is what that the knurled band on some projectiles is for.Crimping lever action reloads so they dont push the bullet in when loading in a spring tube magazine I assume
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 08 May 2019, 6:30 am

Yes mate the cannelure is for crimping but not necessarily restricted to levers.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 May 2019, 8:31 am

duncan61 wrote:So that is what that the knurled band on some projectiles is for.Crimping lever action reloads so they dont push the bullet in when loading in a spring tube magazine I assume

Autos and semis also benefit from a crimp - basically you just don't want the pills seating deeper during cycling. And to be fair, some believe a crimp can sometimes improve accuracy. Personally, I don't believe a crimp improves accuracy in a bolt gun, or TBH even in a lever (shooting jacketed that is, i.e. without the case flare). Get your neck tension right and that is all. Nevertheless the crimp is still kinda needed in a lever (especially for those heavier recoiling loads). That's just IMO however. :drinks:
Last edited by in2anity on 08 May 2019, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 08 May 2019, 2:20 pm

Horses for courses. I've found that crimping works in certain applications. For example, if I don't crimp tthe projectiles in my Hornet reloads I get incomplete burn. This results in powder granules left in the bore. A common occurrence when I use AR2205.
I've also found that if I crimp the Bertram 174gn PP pills into the brass, my No 1 Mk3 shoots more consistently uniform groups.
I crimp the larger pills for my lever actions, 44mag, 44-40, 38-55 & 45-70. As too for my reloads in 9.3x62Mauser & 357 NEf 2.5".
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 31 May 2019, 1:50 pm

This little Ruger shooting the short 125gr Speer projectiles was proving enigmatic. Sometimes it would shoot exceptionally well, other times not so. I finally cracked the secret to achieving a consistent reload; <DRUM-ROLL> "And the winner is, NECK TENSION!".

The lee collet die mandrel was sized to around .306". Neck sizing was only resulting in around -0.001" to -0.002" of neck tension. The 125grainers paired with the rather aggressive Lil'gun and a very long throat (to cater for exceptionally long, heavy subsonic pills the 300aac is kinda designed for) was yielding poor accuracy. But only on with fireformed brass sized by the Lee Collet Die. My guess is this is likely due to inconsistent ignition. And I can't rely on the lands to halt the pill, as it is miles away. Nope I needed a very tight neck.

I systematically turned the mandrel down to .304", yielding aproximately -0.003" of neck tension, and now she is shooting into well under moa for at least the first 5 shots. A crimp would likely have a similar effect, but as discussed above, I much prefer the non-destructive and controlled collet die over a secondary.

5269AFC3-60BA-4B0F-B4C9-C074A0A544C5.jpeg
Muzzle brake, m1907 sling
5269AFC3-60BA-4B0F-B4C9-C074A0A544C5.jpeg (618.79 KiB) Viewed 4499 times

:drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Jul 2019, 8:49 am

mixed.jpg
mixed bag of 125gr pills at 50m over AR2205
mixed.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4394 times

Neck tension is key. Aim for -0.003". Moderate crimp on cannelured, light crimp on cannelureless because bullet set-back from the original RARRs is a distinct possibility.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 30 Jul 2019, 9:02 am

Mate it looks like you have found the load for yours right there with the TNT and 18.0gr AR2205.
Nice.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

JimTom wrote:Mate it looks like you have found the load for yours right there with the TNT and 18.0gr AR2205.
Nice.

Yeah I'm stoked I got it shooting with AR2205. I also use AR2205 in my 32H&R and 32/20.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Sep 2019, 8:53 am

With respect to the Hornady 125gr SST vs Speer 125gr TNT, as discussed ealier I ran into feeding issues with the Speer bullet using a C.O.L. of 2.05". In contrast, the Hornady bullet was seated to 2.1".

Incidently, I seated a Speer bullet using the same depth setting used for the Hornady SST; yielding a shorter C.O.L. of 2.035" . With the shorter C.O.L. the Speer bullets are now feeding with similar reliability to the Hornady.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 Sep 2019, 8:54 pm

Yep they are a little bit fussy about what they like with regard to feeding.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles