Older BRNO Centrefire Rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Older BRNO Centrefire Rifles

Post by ozfisher71 » 08 Feb 2014, 8:36 pm

I am interested in purchasing a 1970's BRNO that I have looked at. I am therefore interested in opinions from people that have owned or used such.
I would appreciate any responses to be kept on topic.
Thank you.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Older BRNO Centrefire Rifles

Post by Apollo » 08 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

Brno made a lot of firearms back then.

Might help if you were more specific on what it is you have looked at.

Depending on the calibre it could be well past it's used by date.

Yep, I had a number of them purchased new back in those times. Probably still have the original manuals but not the firearms.

A Bore Scope could be a very valuable instrument if you know what to look for and not end up with a lemon.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 09 Feb 2014, 7:15 am

I've got a zkk 601 that was a 243 with a set trigger. I had it rebarreled to 260 and had the trigger changed to regular. It's one of my favorite rifles.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Apollo » 09 Feb 2014, 7:37 am

yoshie wrote:I've got a zkk 601 that was a 243 with a set trigger.

That was one of my collection as well as the .308W and .222R, loved the Single Set Triggers. All very accurate and reliable. The only thing I didn't like was the barrel mounted sling attachment. Still have some of the cases I used to reload back then.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Seik » 09 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

Apollo wrote:The only thing I didn't like was the barrel mounted sling attachment.

Easy enough to add one to the stock at lease I guess.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 09 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

They had their own type of scope mount which isn't easy to find now. Also 30mm and 32mm rings to suit can be tricky. Also replacement stocks are kinda rare now too. Their aren't many parts like adjustable triggers and drop out magazines etc. So for a custom rifle they aren't the best pick, however if you wanted to build a big game rifle they are pretty good and until recently until zastava came along, were the best bang for buck action (600 &602) in Australia because just about every gunshop had an old one laying around and were control round feed.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by headspace » 09 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

I had a BRNO .22Hornet that I had re-chambered to K Hornet. Probably the best fox rifle I ever owned. Had double set triggers. Great rifles but time would takae a toll I guess.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ozfisher71 » 11 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm

The rifle I have looked at has a pristine bore and nary a mark on the bolt body or face.
It looks to have been carried more than fired, I am hoping to get back into town for a second look on the weekend if these fires abate.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 11 Feb 2014, 8:15 pm

ozfisher71 wrote:It looks to have been carried more than fired, I am hoping to get back into town for a second look on the weekend if these fires abate.

That's the way for more than a few.

People don't find the time to get out shooting, or it turns out to not really be there thing or whatever.

Plenty of good seconds hand guns going around at a great price, and for basically a new gun anyway.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles