Going price of a M96 Swedish Mauser?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Going price of a M96 Swedish Mauser?

Post by Nomis » 09 May 2019, 7:47 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough price I should be looking to pay for an M96 Swedish Mauser?

My LGS has one for $650 in good condition. Just don't know if it has matching numbers. Beautiful rifle.

New to shooting (getting my licence ATM) and looking to collect milsurps. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Going price of a M96 Swedish Mauser?

Post by bigrich » 10 May 2019, 9:11 am

Sounds about right. Prices have come down on old Swedes , there are quite a few online at the moment
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 May 2019, 9:29 am

you can pay as much as the seller wants if you want to
here's one for you at $450
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=145943

or if you want a sporter
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=148083
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=142747
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 May 2019, 2:59 pm

Recently attended a fun show - ranged from $300 to $800...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 10 May 2019, 3:01 pm

the sporters are really cheap and 6.5 swede is excellent
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2019, 3:43 pm

Nomis wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough price I should be looking to pay for an M96 Swedish Mauser?

My LGS has one for $650 in good condition. Just don't know if it has matching numbers. Beautiful rifle.

New to shooting (getting my licence ATM) and looking to collect milsurps. Any thoughts are appreciated.

If it's an original unmolested milsurp I'd pay that as soon as I saw the price tag. Being local means no interstate shipping or transfer, which usually adds another $100 to it. I bought one early this year, original except for Mojo sights, so I just need some original sights to restore it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 May 2019, 4:09 pm

G'day Nomis,
All matching M96 rifles are not really that common, as rifles were upgraded by Armourers it was common for shrouds and even entire bolts to be changed with many being re-numbered by electro-pencil and others having different numbers from scrapped rifles. As bladeracer said the one on usedguns that marksman posted is a very fair price given that all Swedes have increased in price over the last 18 months. It seems that $600 is the going retail price at the moment, but I would hesitate to pay more than that unless it was all matching (stamped numbers only) and mint condition. My last 2 96's, October and May just gone, were $295 and $488 (Swede Range rifle with Soderin sight) and an M38 with the very rare 10 round trench mag for $380 so good bargains can still be had if you shop around. Your LGS's rifle may be worth buying but understand you are paying towards top end of retail, and the usedguns rifle would shoot just as good.
PS: Have dealt with Wayne Clapham before and found him to be reliable, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 10 May 2019, 4:21 pm

Ive had 4 of em and the most I ever paid was $450 and it had a beautiful walnut stock. paying silly prices for anything but a 100% original, matching mint bore is daft
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 10 May 2019, 7:11 pm

Have a Mod38 Husky 1942 & 1899 Carl Gustaff Mod96. The 38 cost me $450 back in 2001 & its an 8 out 10 condition wise. To be honest I'm not certain if it's all matching, will have to check!
The Mod96 cost me $450 a few months back. It's not all matching & has an average bore, but shoots!
As has been said, the Swedes have seen a major surge in value over the past 10yrs. Combined Service Rifle comps have been the primary contributor to this rise in value. The accuracy, quality of workmanship & Sweddish steel, rapidly won an increasing following of shooters in Australia.

Personally, I cap my limit for a good all matching Swede, at $600. But, value is in the want & wallet of the buyer!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nomis » 10 May 2019, 9:03 pm

Welp, went back in to have another look today. Had a chat and have bought it for $500. Numbers are not matching but in great condition and I was happy with the price.
My very first milsurp!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. By all means continue the discussion!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 May 2019, 9:38 pm

Nomis wrote:Welp, went back in to have another look today. Had a chat and have bought it for $500. Numbers are not matching but in great condition and I was happy with the price.
My very first milsurp!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. By all means continue the discussion!

congrats on the purchase. check these figures but 44 gn of reloader 22 with a 142 sierra MK , fed 210 primers and i was shooting 3/4 " groups at 100 with a scoped 1941 husqvana in the original millitary stock. love the 6.5x55 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 May 2019, 9:48 pm

where you getting your re22 bigrich :unknown:

I used it in my 6.5x55 but cant find it anywhere now
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 12 May 2019, 7:03 pm

I picked up my last bottle of Re22 about 4wks ago.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 12 May 2019, 9:17 pm

I recall many a year ago when Fuller Firearms ( who is now Fuller Global - which includes Ridgeline, Highland Sports UK, OSA, Legacy Sports International and more!!) were selling the M96 Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 with a synthetic stock and Nikko Stirling 6x40 scope for $450......

These rifles still command that sort of coin on the second hand market - testament to their quality.

Back them i did own one and sourcing ammo here in SA was quite hit and miss .......but these days the 6.5 swede ammo is freely available.

A superb calibre that will put down any large game - in the Scandinavians use this calibre for moose - well it will work on anything....

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2019, 9:31 pm

solarpak wrote:I recall many a year ago when Fuller Firearms ( who is now Fuller Global - which includes Ridgeline, Highland Sports UK, OSA, Legacy Sports International and more!!) were selling the M96 Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 with a synthetic stock and Nikko Stirling 6x40 scope for $450......

These rifles still command that sort of coin on the second hand market - testament to their quality.

Back them i did own one and sourcing ammo here in SA was quite hit and miss .......but these days the 6.5 swede ammo is freely available.

A superb calibre that will put down any large game - in the Scandinavians use this calibre for moose - well it will work on anything....

CK

I bought a Fuller's sporterised M96 for $160 in '83. The only ammo around was the Norma steel-jacketed FMJ.
Attachments
20190325_181141.jpg
20190325_181141.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 4821 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 13 May 2019, 8:16 am

Accurate ammo, I remember buying norma ammo to run in my M96. Id stick ammo in the vice and use the angle grinder to take the top 3mm off the tip.

Not sure it made much diff, still whistle thru lol
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 13 May 2019, 7:11 pm

solarpak wrote:I recall many a year ago when Fuller Firearms ( who is now Fuller Global - which includes Ridgeline, Highland Sports UK, OSA, Legacy Sports International and more!!) were selling the M96 Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 with a synthetic stock and Nikko Stirling 6x40 scope for $450......

CK

Same here. Bought one of those Swede's. Fullers were advertising them as Mod96 Hunters, with a set of Lynx steel mounts & rings and a Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 for $450. All they did was cut the wood off just forward of the front barrel band and then lop the barrel at 24".
When I bought mine I picked up some of the Swede ex-mil ammo that was readily available then. It came in a sealed rubberised type bandolier of 200rds. This stuff was a 139gn FMJ ammo, bloody accurate but would zip right through anything. I later found out that it was Swedish service match grade competition ammo. The only sporting ammo option available was Norma 139gn PPT and I had a few packets of these as well but started reloading for my Swede fairly quickly.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2019, 7:41 pm

Bill wrote:Accurate ammo, I remember buying norma ammo to run in my M96. Id stick ammo in the vice and use the angle grinder to take the top 3mm off the tip.

I did the same, as well as drilling a hole. But I soon worked out that it was easier to simply pull the bullet and reseat it backwards.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 May 2019, 5:07 am

Bill wrote:Accurate ammo, I remember buying norma ammo to run in my M96. Id stick ammo in the vice and use the angle grinder to take the top 3mm off the tip.

I did the same.i used to put a small hollow point in as well. Norma sporting ammo was really expensive. I bought my seriously accurate m38 Husky for $59 from A mart all sports south of Brisbane in 1986
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rossfrb » 24 May 2019, 9:12 pm

Also if collecting understand what that brass disc means for Swedes.
Not sure if this is accurate but..
http://surplused.com/tip-how-to-read-sw ... ock-disks/
Google brings up heaps more.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 25 May 2019, 12:39 pm

rossfrb wrote:Also if collecting understand what that brass disc means for Swedes.

Well, wouldn't trust those disks, because they are still available to pick your own out of a bucket of them at large gun shows here in the USA :lol:

SARCO is probably sitting on thousands or more of those disks, easily.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2019, 1:41 pm

wanneroo wrote:
rossfrb wrote:Also if collecting understand what that brass disc means for Swedes.

Well, wouldn't trust those disks, because they are still available to pick your own out of a bucket of them at large gun shows here in the USA :lol:

And the disc is attached to the stock, which may not be attached to the same barrelled action it was when the test was done.
You can also buy blank discs and put your own measurements on them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 May 2019, 12:59 am

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:

And the disc is attached to the stock, which may not be attached to the same barrelled action it was when the test was done.
You can also buy blank discs and put your own measurements on them.

Even if the disc was 100% original it means little as it only refers to the condition during inspection in service by the last Swedish Military Armourer and who knows how long ago that was or what has happened in the intervening years or decades. Inspect, but don't be over critical as I have seen some bores that look quite ordinary but still shot very well, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles