Remington SPS Varmint 308 good or bad?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington SPS Varmint 308 good or bad?

Post by timm » 09 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

I have been looking at the rifle for bench and a bit of deer shooting.

I have heard a few bad thing about them though .

Any help would be good.

Thanks,
Tim
timm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: remington sps varmint 308 good or bad??????

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Feb 2014, 8:15 am

You take a gamble buying any rifle & even bigger one buying a Remington
Member-Deleted

Post by lole » 10 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

I haven't shot it myself so can't say from experience, but as some general thoughts.

For a bench rifles it's got the makings of a good one. Full length heavy barrel is what you want.

For deer hunting though, it's going to be a heavy ass rifle to lug around with you out and about.

How much bench shooting VS how much hunting are you talking about?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Feb 2014, 9:40 am

Remington have a bit of a mixed rep these days it seems.

In the past a Remington 700 was the gun to have. These days though getting a new accurate one seems a little hit or miss and up to luck. Or people having to spend $$$ on aftermarket stocks and bedding, triggers etc. to get them to shoot well.

Others are getting stuff like the 700 SPS Tactical for nail driving accuracy at 100m so it's hard to say.

I know a few guys who opted for second hand ones to get an original rather than by a new one.

Not to say they are all like that. There's no shortage of people shooting them so they must have something going for them.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 10 Feb 2014, 10:10 am

i don't know much about the Rem SPS, but have u thought about getting the Tikka T3 Varmint in 308? i just got one for similar uses. very noice rifle indeed..
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by redrum » 10 Feb 2014, 10:17 am

I think I'd go for a Tikka Varmint too over a Remington.

You know it's going to shoot well.

Personal preference there though...

I know the Rem 700 has billion accessories available, but that's not really my thing.

That MDT tactical chassis they have is pretty sweet though :D
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tactice » 11 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

I dunno about this hit or miss rep for the Rem 700.

I've got a pair in .308 and .22-250 Rem and they both shoot tops.
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Remington SPS Varmint 308 good or bad?

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Feb 2014, 11:00 am

2 out of a million isn't bad, lol
Member-Deleted

Post by Silver87 » 11 Feb 2014, 12:03 pm

My 700 VLS .243 shoots 0.75 moa out of the box, also have a mate with a stainless SPS .308 that shoots just as well.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 11 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

Chickenhawk wrote:Not to say they are all like that. There's no shortage of people shooting them so they must have something going for them.

To be fair, feedback is often a bit biased towards the complained versus the praise.

If one person buys a dud, they're very vocal about it.

If 50 people buy a winner, and just get what they expected from it, you don't hear a peep.

As you say, there's no shortage of people shooting them. I wouldn't right them off completely based on a few bad reviews.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Moonshine » 29 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm

I have a SPS Varmint in 243 that is an awesome rifle. Best group I managed is .320" at 100 m using Hornady 87 gr V MAX....
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .243
Moonshine
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GPostal » 07 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

Buy one - Shoot it - Not happy - Sell on used guns with all the other rifles that don't shoot and buy a Savage or Tikka or Howa and so on.

It's all about the individual rifle.
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 07 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

Or just buy a Tikka to start with ;)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Berper » 07 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

GPostal wrote:Buy one - Shoot it - Not happy - Sell on used guns with all the other rifles that don't shoot and buy a Savage or Tikka or Howa and so on.

Costs you a few hundred $$ each time to do that though.

Not a cheap way to find the right rifle :(
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Mark TAC » 09 Apr 2014, 6:18 pm

I honestly wonder if all this talk of them being bad (or bad lately) is internet legend. Once a few people post a bad experience suddenly it gains momentum.
Go look at restaurant reviews online, try to find a good one. Apparently every place in Oz is crap....

My two 700's shoot great (0.3 and 0.75 moa with factory ammo and NO work done. The latter is a near on worn out barrel set back to be rethroated)

All my mate's ones do too, all SPS models shooting under 1".

If you are not happy with 1 - 1.5 moa, it is not hard to bed in front of recoil lug and tang with $15 of Devcon and play with other stuff for free like screw tension and reloading, no need for aftermarket triggers and stocks like people say you have to do to make a Rem700 shoot. (And I sell stocks for them so there ya go!).

If you buy a Rem700 SPS in .308 and can't get under 1moa with it I'll be damn surprised. And to those who say 1moa is not good enough that is 100% of hits on a dinner plate at 1000yd. Plenty.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 09 Apr 2014, 6:46 pm

Before you buy a varmint barrelled borrow one if you can and carry it for a few minutes. They tend to be not only heavy but muzzle heavy making them feel worse to carry (trust me I've owned 2 tikka varmints)

If you are looking at remingtons take a look at the LTR range. A .308 with a 20" barrel could be a great gun for you

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 09 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm

I have the SPS varmint in 308 and love the gun was sub moa out of the box and has only gotten better with hand loads

but chromos is right if you don't like heavy things rethink the varmint barrel
I personally don't find it to bad to carry around and my 700 sits in an AICS stock that adds even more weight
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 09 Apr 2014, 9:04 pm

Bad.

The 700s are now made in China with the barrels hammered on a human powered forged - I think they use 9 year olds to pedal it, may be 10. :?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm

cruze82 wrote:I personally don't find it to bad to carry around and my 700 sits in an AICS stock that adds even more weight

That might actually help, I have a 700gr lead shot bag in the butt on my Tikka Varmint. It brings the balance point back from in front of the magazine to just in front of the trigger, makes it better to carry and shoot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by DaleH » 10 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

I have just gone through exactly the same comparison - I put my money down on the Tikka.

Although there are good reports on the Remington regards accuracy (sub 1MOA even with the crappy SPS stock), the quality of the Tikka is way better and is said to shoot better than the Remington.

The Tikka is better balanced for me than the Remington - the extra inch or so of barrel on the Remington makes it that much more front heavy.

The Remington trigger felt really nice but the stock felt thin and flimsy. The Tikka also had a changeable magazine vs the Remington internal.

For an extra $300 I got a better stock, stainless barrel and action and scope mounts included - and a rifle that I don't need to put all the aftermarket stuff on to make it better.

Go the Tikka.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 10 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Chronos wrote:That might actually help, I have a 700gr lead shot bag in the butt on my Tikka Varmint. It brings the balance point back from in front of the magazine to just in front of the trigger, makes it better to carry and shoot

Agree with that.

Better balance is worth a little extra weight IMO.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 10 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

DaleH wrote:The Remington trigger felt really nice but the stock felt thin and flimsy.

Mmm, their synthetic stocks are definitely pretty ordinary IMO.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles