Remington SPS Varmint 308 good or bad?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Remington SPS Varmint 308 good or bad?

Post by Chronos » 09 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm

cruze82 wrote:I personally don't find it to bad to carry around and my 700 sits in an AICS stock that adds even more weight

That might actually help, I have a 700gr lead shot bag in the butt on my Tikka Varmint. It brings the balance point back from in front of the magazine to just in front of the trigger, makes it better to carry and shoot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by DaleH » 10 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

I have just gone through exactly the same comparison - I put my money down on the Tikka.

Although there are good reports on the Remington regards accuracy (sub 1MOA even with the crappy SPS stock), the quality of the Tikka is way better and is said to shoot better than the Remington.

The Tikka is better balanced for me than the Remington - the extra inch or so of barrel on the Remington makes it that much more front heavy.

The Remington trigger felt really nice but the stock felt thin and flimsy. The Tikka also had a changeable magazine vs the Remington internal.

For an extra $300 I got a better stock, stainless barrel and action and scope mounts included - and a rifle that I don't need to put all the aftermarket stuff on to make it better.

Go the Tikka.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 10 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Chronos wrote:That might actually help, I have a 700gr lead shot bag in the butt on my Tikka Varmint. It brings the balance point back from in front of the magazine to just in front of the trigger, makes it better to carry and shoot

Agree with that.

Better balance is worth a little extra weight IMO.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 10 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

DaleH wrote:The Remington trigger felt really nice but the stock felt thin and flimsy.

Mmm, their synthetic stocks are definitely pretty ordinary IMO.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles