Rossi Wizard

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rossi Wizard

Post by Shootermick » 15 May 2019, 6:23 pm

Anyone know anything about the Rossi Wizard? It’s got the Interchangable barrels, although I’d probably just stick to 243 at this stage. This is to try and fulfill my want for a single shot rifle, of which the options are pretty thin...
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Rossi Wizard

Post by GojiraSteve » 15 May 2019, 7:37 pm

I was keen about 12 months ago when there were still had a few barrel options. They've been discontinued for a few years now so what's available is what there is, and based on my research that ain't much.
OSA sold out of barrels so I abandoned the plan.

Look out for similar models being mislabeled too. One shop had a Rossi "matched pair" Reciever including stock barrel advertised as a Wizard. While there's almost nothing to choose between them visually they are different enough that performance with Wizard barrels will be dogshit.
That's just one example, Rossi make a TON of model variations on that (H&R?) single shot action. Serial numbers will tell you what your looking at if you do the right Google search.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 15 May 2019, 8:23 pm

So did you end up getting anything else similar?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 15 May 2019, 8:43 pm

Not really.

I picked up a Savage 24 in 22 over 20 gauge.

The rim fire paired with a (equivalent of) 62cal slug works perfectly for anything which might show up while I'm sitting over a waterhole (known and relatively short distance). That was the main job I intended the single shot for. But it would have been nice to be able to plug in an 06 or 270 barrel and switch gears on hunt tactics as the need arises like the wizard would have allowed.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 15 May 2019, 9:19 pm

Did you check out the Thompson Centre Encore? Really looks the goods, but $1500 for a single shot is a bit hard to get my head around. You can switch barrels though, so maybe it might end up cheap??
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 16 May 2019, 9:16 am

i have the rossi with 3 barrels 243 rifle 12 gauge and 50 cal black powder it shoots fine it was a gift from the wife i use the 50 cal most the time.
they do not cost much at all they did come with a case to put every thing in i dont no if they still do
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tubs » 07 Aug 2021, 8:37 pm

wrenchman wrote:i have the rossi with 3 barrels 243 rifle 12 gauge and 50 cal black powder it shoots fine it was a gift from the wife i use the 50 cal most the time.
they do not cost much at all they did come with a case to put every thing in i dont no if they still do

Old post, but how well does the 12 gauge shoot?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 09 Aug 2021, 3:30 am

Shoots good my son uses it with the 12 gauge barrel as a pack gun and shoots squirrels and rabbit he was given a slug barrel recently and is going to try caliber adapters
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tubs » 09 Aug 2021, 8:41 am

wrenchman wrote:Shoots good my son uses it with the 12 gauge barrel as a pack gun and shoots squirrels and rabbit he was given a slug barrel recently and is going to try caliber adapters

Awesome, how is the recoil? Does keep keep the metal bar in the stock or does he put other stuff in there?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 09 Aug 2021, 8:45 am

It's a single shot so it can be stout but overall not to bad keep it to standard stuff and it's not bad
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tubs » 09 Aug 2021, 9:10 am

cheers mate
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 09 Aug 2021, 4:52 pm

Have a look at the Bergara BA13's. No interchangeable barrels, but very nice single shot rifles all the same.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 09 Aug 2021, 5:24 pm

InisBineest wrote:Have a look at the Bergara BA13's. No interchangeable barrels, but very nice single shot rifles all the same.

This is pretty much what I was looking for in a 308 ie: light. Ive almost run out of space in the safe so this is cool.

Can you post some pics of yours? What kind of accuracy are you getting? What twist rate?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 09 Aug 2021, 5:41 pm

Just found this review, looks interesting

https://aussiehunter.org/bergara-ba13-t ... le-review/
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 10 Aug 2021, 1:45 am

Cva is making single shot guns and are doing good
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by InisBineest » 10 Aug 2021, 9:25 am

Tubs wrote:
InisBineest wrote:Have a look at the Bergara BA13's. No interchangeable barrels, but very nice single shot rifles all the same.

This is pretty much what I was looking for in a 308 ie: light. Ive almost run out of space in the safe so this is cool.

Can you post some pics of yours? What kind of accuracy are you getting? What twist rate?

I've had mine for a few weeks but I'm still waiting on the scope before I take it out. I'll get a review up when I can, but there are some good videos on YouTube by some Aussie shooters.... I can't remember the channel:(

Twist is 1 in 12" I believe
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 23 Aug 2021, 4:35 pm

InisBineest wrote:
Tubs wrote:

I've had mine for a few weeks but I'm still waiting on the scope before I take it out. I'll get a review up when I can, but there are some good videos on YouTube by some Aussie shooters.... I can't remember the channel:(

Twist is 1 in 12" I believe

Any luck setting up the Bergara mate?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 2:23 pm

It's all ready, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it in lockdown:(
Very nice rifle though, fit and finish is excellent, comfortable to shoulder and the plastic stock is a lot more solid than many others I've handled.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210826-142129~2.png
Screenshot_20210826-142129~2.png (219.69 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 26 Aug 2021, 5:55 pm

InisBineest wrote:It's all ready, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it in lockdown:(
Very nice rifle though, fit and finish is excellent, comfortable to shoulder and the plastic stock is a lot more solid than many others I've handled.

Sure it! I just picked up the non stainless version. Pretty compact package.... What compensator is that? Apparently the recoil is "lively" :lol:

One thing Ive noticed is that the front optic seems a bit high. With my cheek on the cheekpiece I cant get it flush with the rear sight....
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 6:32 pm

Tubs wrote:
InisBineest wrote:It's all ready, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it in lockdown:(

Sure it! I just picked up the non stainless version. Pretty compact package.... What compensator is that? Apparently the recoil is "lively" :lol:

One thing Ive noticed is that the front optic seems a bit high. With my cheek on the cheekpiece I cant get it flush with the rear sight....

From what I can see the sights are fine, but the comb of the stock is really made for a scoped rifle, this it sits pretty high. I bought mine with sites as a back up, but I'm putting a Leupold Mark 3 4-12 on it. I'm running two different loads, so I'll sight in for one, and have it easily adjustable for the lower power practice load.
The break is from gunbloke on eBay. Triple TAC with a blast jacket ( for when I'm shooting with mates:P)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 27 Aug 2021, 12:33 am

If only they had moved the rear sight further back, wouldnt have gotten in the way of the optic and would have increased the sight radius.... Have removed all iron sights, but will put quick release rings on in case I ever need to alternate in the field.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles