New T3X in 243...Which stock..?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New T3X in 243...Which stock..?

Post by Stix » 24 May 2019, 9:34 pm

So im thinking of filling a calibre void in my hunting sticks.

Ive decided on a 243 in a Tikka T3X...but cant decide on the stock.

Was going to get the camo stock--i do really like the new camo print on the T3X's... :D

But...

I dont actually have a timber stocked T3, so the option is also there to get the laminated stock.
With this stock, i guess it could be bedded a lot easier....however, as a walk-about rifle, it will be 300 grams heavier...and cost over $100 more ($125-$150 more than camo stock i think).

If i specifically wanted to cart it around in a synth stock i could pull the synth stock off another T3 for the day... :unknown: but not something id want to do all the time as loads may not be compatible between the stocks (synthetic stock has pressure point on barrel in forend, laminate stock is floated).

Although its a sporter barrel, i will indulge in attempting some long range varminting, so timber stock with floated barrel may be better for this...

What are peoples thoughts...?...
If cjoosing between synth & laminate stock for hunting rifle, which one of these would you choose & why...?

2019-05-24 20.43.58.png
Camo Synthetic
2019-05-24 20.43.58.png (84.33 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

2019-05-24 20.43.45.png
Laminate
2019-05-24 20.43.45.png (59.25 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

:drinks:
Last edited by Stix on 24 May 2019, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: New T3X in 243...Which stock..?

Post by bigrich » 24 May 2019, 9:45 pm

synth for light weight carry rifle that you won't worry about too much if it gets wet or knocked around . laminate for accuracy and the extra weight would be helpful to tame recoil in larger calibers . but i'm old fashioned, all my rifle stocks are wood :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 May 2019, 9:51 pm

bigrich wrote:synth for light weight carry rifle that you won't worry about too much if it gets wet or knocked around .

what he said :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by mickyj » 25 May 2019, 1:40 am

Stix wrote:So im thinking of filling a calibre void in my hunting sticks.

Was going to get the camo stock--i do really like the new camo print on the T3X's... :D

But...

I dont actually have a timber stocked T3, so the option is also there to get the laminated stock.
With this stock, i guess it could be bedded a lot easier....however, as a walk-about rifle, it will be 300 grams heavier...and cost over $100 more ($125-$150 more than camo stock i think).

If i specifically wanted to cart it around in a synth stock i could pull the synth stock off another T3 for the day... :unknown: but not something id want to do all the time as loads may not be compatible between the stocks (synthetic stock has pressure point on barrel in forend, laminate stock is floated).

Although its a sporter barrel, i will indulge in attempting some long range varminting, so timber stock with floated barrel may be better for this...

If cjoosing between synth & laminate stock for hunting rifle, which one of these would you choose & why...?

2019-05-24 20.43.58.png

2019-05-24 20.43.45.png

Im no expert but I do own a Tikka T3X Hunter Stainless in .243 since new and I am bloody delighted with this beautiful firearm. Accuracy is insane, action is like sllk even the plastic magazines which I thought were a compromise are the best fitting bits of strong plastic I have seen. they are super quiet going into the gun too more quiet than a metal one. but hey...I think it is a personal aesthetic question that you pose. either way you won't be disappointed im sure.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 25 May 2019, 10:04 am

I have two hunter stainless fluted tikka s -a t3 in 2506 and r3x in 308. Their best attribute is their lightweight and with a suitable scope on top weigh in tge order of 3.2 to 3.7 kgs. I am in tge the process of getting them both glass bedded and tge inletted walnut sealed against moisture egress. The walnut on tge the tikka us plain but functional and i am not too concerned if it gets dinged. Ck
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 25 May 2019, 10:07 am

Member-Deleted wrote:
bigrich wrote:synth for light weight carry rifle that you won't worry about too much if it gets wet or knocked around .

what he said :drinks:

I'm with this too. If it's going with you on foot, out n about you will want as light as possible and its likely to take a knock every now and then or get a scratch when leaning on a rock or something abrasive, def the synthetic.
If its going to be your baby that will only be deployed on a shooting matt with bi-pod in a grassy field to shoot bunnies out at 100m then the laminate might be the more satisfying stock, timber def looks nicer.
Just my 2c
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2019, 10:33 am

You are a handy guy Stix, Tupperware stock, a couple of cans of spray paint and some autumn leaves as stencils.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 25 May 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks guys...
I get the weight & scratch thing...

Although my question re the mentioned stocks pictured above is moreso with regard to accuracy and practicality.

The 2 stocks im choosing between (timber laminate or plastic camo) are the only choices i have...
And so im wondering if i should buy the laminate & put up with an extra 300grams for the ability to bed it easily... :unknown:

SCJ429 wrote:You are a handy guy Stix, Tupperware stock, a couple of cans of spray paint and some autumn leaves as stencils.

Handy enough, although struggle for time...
Here is my first attempt at camo...page 4...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8826&start=54
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 25 May 2019, 3:01 pm

I think you are man enough to carry an extra 300 grams Stix

as you know I'm not a fan of synthetics and I dont believe they are tougher than timber especially laminate
so I recon go with the laminate although I do recon you are very talented with doing the camo :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 6:57 pm

I like the cotton ones but they can make your feet sweat if your active, but those explorers, are just too plain hot...what? Stocks ? Oh...sorry. Carry on...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 26 May 2019, 9:15 pm

Lol...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 May 2019, 12:48 pm

Bell and carlson m40? :D

I'm suitably impressed with my t1x plastic stock but it doesn't excite me in the berries.
Might look at a wood stock or one of the above stocks come tax time. I figure when I get my next rifle, mostly likely a tikka 223 varmint I'll have a spare stock for both so I can swap and choose til the cows come home.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 02 Jun 2019, 5:02 pm

Stix wrote:So im thinking of filling a calibre void in my hunting sticks.

But...

2019-05-24 20.43.58.png

2019-05-24 20.43.45.png

Stix, I too have really been thinking about acquiring a 243. First off I started looking at Howa barreled actions, varmint stainless, then throwing it in a Boyd's laminate stock. I then walked into the lgs and seen a t3 super varmint in 243 for $1395 which was brand new, threaded barrel too, which is very appealing. Lately though, I have really taken a liking to the hunter t3x stainless fluted barrel.
How do you figure the Sporter barrel will go with some longer range varminting? I already have a heavy barrel 223 which is great off the bags or bipod, but the Sporter barrel I guess is a bit more versatile.
Too many options....
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles