My Tikka is so fantastic

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My Tikka is so fantastic

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2019, 10:34 pm

Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

Another mate bought a Howa varmint in 308, you can see where the button reamer has chattered all the way up the barrel. One hundred rounds of running it in and it still copper fouls badly. You never see this with a Tikka or Sako.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 10:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

Another mate bought a Howa varmint in 308, you can see where the button reamer has chattered all the way up the barrel. One hundred rounds of running it in and it still copper fouls badly. You never see this with a Tikka or Sako.

1/4 Moa grouping - from a stock tikka ? I’ve witnessed some great shooting and between myself, friends, acquaintances, etc have seen maybe 20 tikkas being shot at various times, but I’ve never witnessed a 1/4 Moa grouping from a dead stock rifle...I think I’ve personally only ever seen 1/4’s at the range with specific target rifles. Not saying it can’t or doesn’t happen - just I’ve personally not witnessed it.
1/4 Moa at 100m (6mm) with a .3 caliber in a 5 shot group means better than all bullets touching the exact same spot...that - is down right impressive.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 May 2019, 5:02 am

SCJ429 wrote:Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

I have a mate who bought 2 New Sakos a few years back with bores that looked like they'd been cut out with a chisel! He was having trouble putting patches through the bores so got out his bore scope and sure enough - tool marks etc - both went back and were replaced. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 26 May 2019, 7:02 am

4E701FE8-F920-4066-B6EC-78E2BE338224.jpeg
4E701FE8-F920-4066-B6EC-78E2BE338224.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4653 times

Here’s a group of 4 that I shot with my Tikka T3x Varmint .223 55gr factory ammo @ 110m.

I was impressed.

This was on my last hunting trip, I set up a table with sand bags front and rear to steady the rifle.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 May 2019, 11:50 am

I have no idea if my Tikka shoots 1/2 or 1/4 moa. I do know it shoots minute of roo and fox vital. My Tikka is a hunting rifle and has all the field accuracy I require. One day, when I can be bothered, I will see what size group it shoots. The Tikka has a smooth action. Has been reliable in the field and meets my needs. I am happy with my purchase. Would I buy another one? Dunno. I will have to wait until I wear out one of my existing rifles. If I had the funds and l had a valid need, I quite like the .223 Anschutz. Or maybe a 30/06, brand to be decided. I am not a brand loyalist. They are all really just consumer products of large companies. As long as the company supports the product and they replace it if you bought a dud is the main thing.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2019, 12:06 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I have no idea if my Tikka shoots 1/2 or 1/4 moa. I do know it shoots minute of roo and fox vital. My Tikka is a hunting rifle and has all the field accuracy I require. One day, when I can be bothered, I will see what size group it shoots. The Tikka has a smooth action. Has been reliable in the field and meets my needs. I am happy with my purchase. Would I buy another one? Dunno. I will have to wait until I wear out one of my existing rifles. If I had the funds and l had a valid need, I quite like the .223 Anschutz. Or maybe a 30/06, brand to be decided. I am not a brand loyalist. They are all really just consumer products of large companies. As long as the company supports the product and they replace it if you bought a dud is the main thing.

How do you sight in for hunting if you don’t know how it shoots?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 May 2019, 9:59 am

I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 10:58 am

Would you feel the same if your rifle shot three inch groups at best?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2019, 11:33 am

Every rifle I've bought I've had to tinker with it to get tight groups the latest was a sako roughtech 7mag it shot 1.5'' @ 100yds at first but it took bugger all to get to shoot well the biggest problem with it is the stock it is too soft it's plastic of sorts and supposed to have a inter molded aluminium frame but when I put the bipod on and set down to shoot the stock pushed up tight under the barrel I have glass bedded it but don't know how long the bedding will stay stuck to the stock I also machined 3/16'' out of the barrel channel yet if you leave it sit on the bipod for 1hr it will slowly push up to touch the barrel so much for aluminium stiffner I intend to keep this rifle and tried to access a timber stock that would bolt straight on without all the trouble of stripping it and sending it away this model only come with a plastic stock anyway sorry to ambush the thread
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2019, 12:34 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances

Like your style. God people f*** about and stress over getting the tiniest groups with hunting rifles...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kumaabear » 27 May 2019, 12:47 pm

Tikkas: Generally seem to shoot really well, have a decent trigger, have a smooth action, have lots of left handed options, plenty of chambering to pick from and the plastic stocked versions are fairly okay value wise. They are basically the Toyota family car of Rifles :thumbsup:

^ This is why they sell lots ^ and I respect that BUT

Tikkas are also: A one size fits all action, too expensive for what you get in timber stocked models, magazine that is too short for playing much with reloads that also cant be top loaded, a Tikka will generally never the "the gun I want" despite perhaps being "all the gun I need"

Because of the negative sides I find them kind of boring, despite them being generally a good product
Tikka for me is like Stanly is for tools nowadays. Generally decent stuff if you need a tool, but not what you actually really want

I personally prefer to save a little extra money and just wait until I can afford something I really want, not just something that will do a job decently enough. Usually not doing this results in me eventually getting what I wanted in the first place when funds appear and spending more overall
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 27 May 2019, 1:04 pm

I will add that personally I want a few nice rifles to keep forever, hunt with and hand down one day.

Not everyone is after that. If someones goal is: I want to go hunting, I don't want to spend much money, I want a new and accurate rifle and I don't like Howa for whatever reason then Tikka makes complete sense
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 1:28 pm

bigpete wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances

Like your style. God people f*** about and stress over getting the tiniest groups with hunting rifles...

Maybe so - I have a 30-06 at present and it’s a dedicated hunting rifle. I’ve put about 50 rounds down at the range and probably another 50 before I’ll consider it hunting worthy.
I could go out and hunt with it out of the box but - I want to learn the rifles capabilities and my capabilities with the rifle - so, when I do end up pointing it at animal at any distance - I will know within a good percentage of the likely outcome.
As much as it frustrates you for ppl trying to shoot tiny groups with hunting rifles, it in turn frustrates me - that ppl don’t care that they may be likely to injure and maim an animal because they don’t care to better their groups...that being said - I understand why ppl don’t mess about trying to shoot better, it’s their choice. I personally don’t enjoy the screaming agony of a gut shot deer or roo - but I accept it happens...but I want to personally minimise the chances of it happening when I’m on the trigger.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2019, 1:39 pm

If you honestly think a 1" group over a .25" group is going to end up with a gut shot deer screaming in agony,you'd be better off punching paper.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2019, 2:19 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Maybe so - I have a 30-06 at present and it’s a dedicated hunting rifle. I’ve put about 50 rounds down at the range and probably another 50 before I’ll consider it hunting worthy.
I could go out and hunt with it out of the box but - I want to learn the rifles capabilities and my capabilities with the rifle - so, when I do end up pointing it at animal at any distance - I will know within a good percentage of the likely outcome.
As much as it frustrates you for ppl trying to shoot tiny groups with hunting rifles, it in turn frustrates me - that ppl don’t care that they may be likely to injure and maim an animal because they don’t care to better their groups...that being said - I understand why ppl don’t mess about trying to shoot better, it’s their choice. I personally don’t enjoy the screaming agony of a gut shot deer or roo - but I accept it happens...but I want to personally minimise the chances of it happening when I’m on the trigger.

I don't stuff around shooting groups these days (done it in yrs gone by testing reloads but it's a bit overrated in hunting situations to me, I think it's better that people know where that first shot is going as you really aren't shooting groups on fur, it's generally a 1 shot deal most of the time if you know what you are doing and take the shot when it best presents the chance of getting a one shot deal, I generally don't bother with running shots, I'd rather wait for them to stop running or just let em go, I'm not that desperate to kill anything these days so letting them go if a shot doesn't present is fine for me. :drinks:

I checked both my rifles the other week to see where they were shooting one was fine the other was shooting slightly right from memory, I did a quick adjustment and did a test shot, it was where I wanted it and that was good enough for me.

Yrs ago I would have stuffed around shooting a group to confirm consistency but I know the rifles shoot fine so no need with all the noise and wasted ammo, I confirmed it on fur and fur fell over so I consider it consistent. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 3:50 pm

bigpete wrote:If you honestly think a 1" group over a .25" group is going to end up with a gut shot deer screaming in agony,you'd be better off punching paper.

No, but to get that 1 inch group takes some time...it’s not very usual, even with a tikka, that you buy shelf ammo, go out to sight in and are shooting 1 inch - more likely 2-3 inches. Double that distance, with a group like that and your a potential candidate for a wounding...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 3:55 pm

Bfs - what dictates where a cold bore shot is going? Is a cold bore shot a consistent shot ?

It’s a legit question - I’ve gone to the range and heard ppl say, shoot a warmer first, without even looking - if it’s hunting - then I agree, it’s insanely important to know where that barrel warmer is going. But from what I’ve seen with my cold bores shots, they aren’t exactly consistent...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 27 May 2019, 4:13 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Bfs - what dictates where a cold bore shot is going? Is a cold bore shot a consistent shot ?

It’s a legit question - I’ve gone to the range and heard ppl say, shoot a warmer first, without even looking - if it’s hunting - then I agree, it’s insanely important to know where that barrel warmer is going. But from what I’ve seen with my cold bores shots, they aren’t exactly consistent...

should be asking about cold clean bore's Tassie

IMO they are not too far away from the group if you have a tested sweet spot load, usually under 10 mm :thumbsup:
I have seen guys who miss there target and keep banging away as the animal runs for its life, I suppose that would classify as a warmup shot :lol:
silly animals would be safer staying still :lol: :lol: :drinks:
I am usually on the first ever hunt with these guys, and the last :wtf:
zeroing and knowing your load/rifles capability is very important if you want to hit where you aim :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2019, 4:22 pm

bigpete wrote:If you honestly think a 1" group over a .25" group is going to end up with a gut shot deer screaming in agony,you'd be better off punching paper.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read it, you've have to be Mr Magoo to f*** up that badly and then to blame it on a rifle that groups 14-20mm bigger than the other rifle that shoots 1/4" groups is the problem :lol:

FMD even my Tikka 308 scatter gun rifle still gets the job done with it's shotgun size pattern groups :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2019, 4:29 pm

bigpete wrote:

+1 couldn't agree more, sure if you are trying to hit small targets it might matter slightly more (depending on ranges) but as we know most people shoot stuff way closer than they really think anyway) and big animals aren't small targets so no real need for 1/4 groups on deer and the like.

1st shot is the only shot that counts on fur and I always shoot a one hole group on them as a rule :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 27 May 2019, 5:19 pm

you are so funny scott :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigpete wrote:

+1 couldn't agree more, sure if you are trying to hit small targets it might matter slightly more (depending on ranges) but as we know most people shoot stuff way closer than they really think anyway) and big animals aren't small targets so no real need for 1/4 groups on deer and the like.

1st shot is the only shot that counts on fur and I always shoot a one hole group on them as a rule :D

BigPete and BigScott sitting in a tree...
Kay eye double S EYE en Gee lol.

Is that a 1.5” one shot group...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 27 May 2019, 6:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 27 May 2019, 7:51 pm

Well, my Tikka is quite fantastic. I have had it for about 34 years, and doubt I will ever sell it.

Whilst my Tikka is fantastic, I on the other hand am quite average. LOL. :crazy: I have never had the patience for target shooting, and tend to look at sighting in and load development as necessary tasks. Last time I tried developing a new load, I made up a few variations, went testing, found the second or third one was pretty good, and didn't bother with the rest. Oops. :roll:

So I think my ability is about MOA, and that's it. I have never practiced though, as I get bored, so who knows. After my first pig hunting trip as a 12 year old, I soon learned that most of my targets had absconded by the time I was ready!! So practice for me was hitting a shoe polish tin at 30m in two seconds from rifle at the waist to firing. Plenty of air rifle pellets got me pretty good at this. Not so much on fixed targets though.

I am looking for another Tikka at the moment. I have no doubts it will be fantastic too. :D
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 8:33 pm

Trigger time = fun time. If that means ppl screw around trying to get better with rifles not exactly designed for that...well....I’ve been known to take my estuary tinny off shore as well....weeeee
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 8:54 pm

Well put Tassie., if you enjoy shooting then it is fun to see what you can get out of your rifle. It helps me get the best results when I am hunting. If you are not interested or you cannot do it, then that is fine and enjoy the bits of shooting that are meaningful to you.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 27 May 2019, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 May 2019, 9:12 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Would you feel the same if your rifle shot three inch groups at best?

It all depends on the circumstances. If the rifle I bought came with an moa guarantee like my Tikka did and it had a 3 moa or greater group I would investigate it further. If I bought something where 3 moa was about right, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. For example a lever action 357 for shooting pigs under a 100 metres.

I had an interesting (to me) recent experience to illustrate my point. I bought some Armscor high velocity 22lr ammo to try out in my Anschutz and my CZ Farmer. The Anschutz absolutely sprayed the ammo (4 or more inches at 50 yards) . Whereas the CZ shot around an inch (ish) from the same distance. The really interesting bit was the Anschutz generally isn’t that fussy about ammo. It even shoots the CCI stingers quite well. But gee it hated the Armscor. Bit of a bummer as it is cheap ammo. Part of the reason for checking was I was looking for 22 ammo that would shoot ok in both 22’s to simplify ammo choice. It kind of did. The Armscor is fine for the CZ but I will stick with Stingers for the Annie. I won’t bother to keep investigating as I have answered my question to my satisfaction.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kel » 28 May 2019, 9:34 pm

I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

Screenshot_20190528-211549_Gallery.jpg
Sierra 150gr SBT, cross winds. CTR .308
Screenshot_20190528-211549_Gallery.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4447 times
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by xDom » 28 May 2019, 10:17 pm

Kel wrote:I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

How were you positioned when shooting that group? Off a bench with a front and rear rear?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 May 2019, 12:08 am

Kel wrote:I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

Can i just say, they are the prettiest fingers ive ever seen in a photo posted up on this site... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles