My Tikka is so fantastic

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My Tikka is so fantastic

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2019, 4:22 pm

bigpete wrote:If you honestly think a 1" group over a .25" group is going to end up with a gut shot deer screaming in agony,you'd be better off punching paper.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read it, you've have to be Mr Magoo to f*** up that badly and then to blame it on a rifle that groups 14-20mm bigger than the other rifle that shoots 1/4" groups is the problem :lol:

FMD even my Tikka 308 scatter gun rifle still gets the job done with it's shotgun size pattern groups :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2019, 4:29 pm

bigpete wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances

Like your style. God people f*** about and stress over getting the tiniest groups with hunting rifles...

+1 couldn't agree more, sure if you are trying to hit small targets it might matter slightly more (depending on ranges) but as we know most people shoot stuff way closer than they really think anyway) and big animals aren't small targets so no real need for 1/4 groups on deer and the like.

1st shot is the only shot that counts on fur and I always shoot a one hole group on them as a rule :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 27 May 2019, 5:19 pm

you are so funny scott :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances

Like your style. God people f*** about and stress over getting the tiniest groups with hunting rifles...

+1 couldn't agree more, sure if you are trying to hit small targets it might matter slightly more (depending on ranges) but as we know most people shoot stuff way closer than they really think anyway) and big animals aren't small targets so no real need for 1/4 groups on deer and the like.

1st shot is the only shot that counts on fur and I always shoot a one hole group on them as a rule :D

BigPete and BigScott sitting in a tree...
Kay eye double S EYE en Gee lol.

Is that a 1.5” one shot group...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 27 May 2019, 6:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 27 May 2019, 7:51 pm

Well, my Tikka is quite fantastic. I have had it for about 34 years, and doubt I will ever sell it.

Whilst my Tikka is fantastic, I on the other hand am quite average. LOL. :crazy: I have never had the patience for target shooting, and tend to look at sighting in and load development as necessary tasks. Last time I tried developing a new load, I made up a few variations, went testing, found the second or third one was pretty good, and didn't bother with the rest. Oops. :roll:

So I think my ability is about MOA, and that's it. I have never practiced though, as I get bored, so who knows. After my first pig hunting trip as a 12 year old, I soon learned that most of my targets had absconded by the time I was ready!! So practice for me was hitting a shoe polish tin at 30m in two seconds from rifle at the waist to firing. Plenty of air rifle pellets got me pretty good at this. Not so much on fixed targets though.

I am looking for another Tikka at the moment. I have no doubts it will be fantastic too. :D
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 8:33 pm

Trigger time = fun time. If that means ppl screw around trying to get better with rifles not exactly designed for that...well....I’ve been known to take my estuary tinny off shore as well....weeeee
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 8:54 pm

Well put Tassie., if you enjoy shooting then it is fun to see what you can get out of your rifle. It helps me get the best results when I am hunting. If you are not interested or you cannot do it, then that is fine and enjoy the bits of shooting that are meaningful to you.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 27 May 2019, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 May 2019, 9:12 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Would you feel the same if your rifle shot three inch groups at best?

It all depends on the circumstances. If the rifle I bought came with an moa guarantee like my Tikka did and it had a 3 moa or greater group I would investigate it further. If I bought something where 3 moa was about right, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. For example a lever action 357 for shooting pigs under a 100 metres.

I had an interesting (to me) recent experience to illustrate my point. I bought some Armscor high velocity 22lr ammo to try out in my Anschutz and my CZ Farmer. The Anschutz absolutely sprayed the ammo (4 or more inches at 50 yards) . Whereas the CZ shot around an inch (ish) from the same distance. The really interesting bit was the Anschutz generally isn’t that fussy about ammo. It even shoots the CCI stingers quite well. But gee it hated the Armscor. Bit of a bummer as it is cheap ammo. Part of the reason for checking was I was looking for 22 ammo that would shoot ok in both 22’s to simplify ammo choice. It kind of did. The Armscor is fine for the CZ but I will stick with Stingers for the Annie. I won’t bother to keep investigating as I have answered my question to my satisfaction.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kel » 28 May 2019, 9:34 pm

I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

Screenshot_20190528-211549_Gallery.jpg
Sierra 150gr SBT, cross winds. CTR .308
Screenshot_20190528-211549_Gallery.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4445 times
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by xDom » 28 May 2019, 10:17 pm

Kel wrote:I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

How were you positioned when shooting that group? Off a bench with a front and rear rear?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 May 2019, 12:08 am

Kel wrote:I've been happy with my Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, it feels easy to shoot well. I recently added a Tikka .308 CTR, it took a few extra steps to get it shooting as well as the Tac A1 but working up some 140 Gr loads today it is delivering .352" and 0.529" 3 round groups at 100yds, not bad considering the strong cross winds blowing through Southern NSW today while I shot these groups.

Can i just say, they are the prettiest fingers ive ever seen in a photo posted up on this site... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kel » 29 May 2019, 5:16 am

xDom wrote:
How were you positioned when shooting that group? Off a bench with a front and rear rear?

Yes, as this is the start of load development for these two loads I wanted to minimise my input. That said, those groups were primarily fired for chrono measurement before I go to the range. Hence why I wasn't too bothered about the crosswind.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2019, 6:19 am

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigpete wrote:

BigPete and BigScott sitting in a tree...
Kay eye double S EYE en Gee lol.

Is that a 1.5” one shot group...?

Only if ya lobbing some big iron down range at ya target :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2019, 6:22 am

marksman wrote:you are so funny scott :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

It has been said many times before, I like keeping things simple when it comes to hunting, I shoot 99% one hole groups on fur so no need to stuff around improving on those results hey. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 29 May 2019, 8:10 am

to be totally honest with you scott when I check the zero of my 30-06 it is done by shooting a couple of dots at 200, one shot each with a cold barrel
I do put a few threw first and the rifle will not get properly cleaned till it shoots out or I am not going to use it for a long time
but it has had testing done to find what it likes and to get the most out of it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 29 May 2019, 12:21 pm

Stix wrote:

Can i just say, they are the prettiest fingers ive ever seen in a photo posted up on this site... :lol:

I will 2nd that!!!
I didn’t know we had female members on here - I’m glad we do - and some bloody nice shooting to get those groups!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 May 2019, 1:02 pm

Yep and kickin some male butt with shooting like that way to go Kel my daughter shoots as well she's trying to decide on what caliber for her next rifle ,how do you find the 6.5 mate?
Member-Deleted

Post by Bridgy » 29 May 2019, 4:15 pm

I like mine because over the couple of hundred rounds I've put through it (243) it's never gone wrong. It was well priced, I don't care that I bang it against things in the synthetic stock, and it shoots beautifully with off-the-shelf Federal blue box ammo.

I recently picked up a .308 Hunter, that shoots just as nicely, second hand. The stock seems soft cos it marks easily, but I can live with that.

In contrast, I've owned two Remingtons - a 783 and a Marlin 336c. The Marlin broke the front pin holding the forearm to the mag/barrel FOUR times in less than two boxes of ammo. The 783 shot nicely but the fit and finish was crap.

I'll spruik Tikka because in my experience, for a budget friendly gun, they perform great.

One day when I have more money I'll get a Sako or a Maral or something. A man can dream!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 29 May 2019, 4:20 pm

Not knocking tikkas at all, I love mine, but Is it fair comparing tikka rifles to a 783 and marlin though? There’s almost 1k difference in price where I live...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 29 May 2019, 5:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Not knocking tikkas at all, I love mine, but Is it fair comparing tikka rifles to a 783 and marlin though? There’s almost 1k difference in price where I live...

Yea good point Tassie...
Its a Yes & No...
I think it depends on what particular points you're comparing.

If comparing smoothness of bolt, overall finish or how it fits you, its not fair to compare--as these are points you can see before commiting.

However, if its comparing things that break &/or constantly fail, i feel thats fair irrelevant of cost.
I say this because i think its fair to assume if you buy something, it should be fit for the purpose ots marketed for...
So if you buy a brand new hunting rifle for $300, its fair to expect the bolt wont fly back into your eye & the stock wont break from recoil...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bridgy » 29 May 2019, 7:46 pm

Yeah it's a good point too, I knew (kind of) what I was getting into with the 783... I didn't expect to be able to see into the magazine between the action and stock though. lol.

I'm in SA and the price I paid for my T3 Lite (on special mind you) was only a few hundred more than the 783. The 336c was a bit dearer than the Tikkas. Heaps of fun though!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 29 May 2019, 7:55 pm

The new tikkas have gone up according to my local shop by a good 20% - before I bought the sauer, I priced the tikka t3x in stainless flute, light, synthetic, and was quoted $1699...
The Remington 783’s are currently on special at $735 with scope, bag and sling.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sawyers » 30 May 2019, 12:07 am

My 223 superlite has feeding problems, I think its more to do with the magazine than the actual riffle and Ive had times where ive lent the mag release on something and its popped out.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 30 May 2019, 12:09 am

TassieTiger wrote:The new tikkas have gone up according to my local shop by a good 20% - before I bought the sauer, I priced the tikka t3x in stainless flute, light, synthetic, and was quoted $1699...
The Remington 783’s are currently on special at $735 with scope, bag and sling.

Thats $700 more than I payed for mine 2 years ago
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 May 2019, 12:51 am

Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 May 2019, 12:53 am

Url/IMG adding in this forum is retarded
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 May 2019, 12:55 am

Don't buy a 783 it's a waste of time, you'll spend close to the same again making it tolerable especially if you plan on using it in the warm weather and be able to actually grab the bolt handle... Get a howa instead
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kel » 30 May 2019, 6:52 pm

Yep and kickin some male butt with shooting like that way to go Kel my daughter shoots as well she's trying to decide on what caliber for her next rifle ,how do you find the 6.5 mate?

I really like the 6.5and I love shooting it but as I have it with the 24" Tac A1 and a S&B 5-25x56 it is heavy compared to the 20" .308 CTR. I think a 6.5 CTR with a modest scope would be a pretty effective combo.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 May 2019, 10:14 pm

Yeah thanks Kel i'll pass that on to her and see what she thinks and go from there
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles