My Tikka is so fantastic

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My Tikka is so fantastic

Post by straightshooter » 25 May 2019, 7:46 am

.......My tikka is so fantastic wild game come to me and beg to be shot with it.............

Sorry must have fallen into a dream while typing.
My dream must have been instigated by the numbers of tikka spruikers being out in force at the moment.
I suppose we are getting towards the end of the financial year and sales targets do have to be met.
I further suppose that those tax refunds coming in a couple of months time will need to be put to good use as well. Might as well get the saliva flowing early.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: My Tikka is so fantastic

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 May 2019, 8:31 am

It'll take more than that to convert me away from Remington 700 rifles.

I must admit though, I'm yet to hear a bad word about Tikka rifles.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 8:33 am

Lots of claims, so little evidence...lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2019, 9:27 am

Happy to put up my completely stock Tikka against any other factory rifle. What is not to like?

To the OP, try posting something positive for a change.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 25 May 2019, 11:04 am

on_one_wheel wrote:It'll take more than that to convert me away from Remington 700 rifles.

not having a crack at you on one wheel but I have heard a few bad words about tikka's :lol:

eg... cant load long in long rifle cases 30-06, 300wm ect..... one size action fits all, 223 in a long action :lol:
too much plastic, try floating the barrel on one of there plastic stocks, stocks crack when tightened up, recoil pads are sh!t :lol:
plastic trigger guards that will break eventually, front sling stud that will break with a bipod mounted under even .243 recoil :lol:
plastic bolt shroud but you can upgrade, can have problems extracting cases :lol:
magazines fallout, magazines dont hold enough ammo, cant top load the magazine in the action :lol:
factory ring screws strip throwing your new scope onto the ground or if you are lucky you find out when only one screw has and you are shooting shotgun patterns :lol:
tikkas are not made to shoot reloads (explanation from a company rep after being asked why they dont make a longer mag for 300wm) :lol:
like a plumbers gun you buy the rifle then spend up big on tweaks,fixes and upgrades

the tikka is best viewed as a normally accurate rifle, the design is to produce the best possible results based on the cheapest possible platform :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 May 2019, 11:46 am

straightshooter wrote:.......My tikka is so fantastic wild game come to me and beg to be shot with it.............

Sorry must have fallen into a dream while typing.
My dream must have been instigated by the numbers of tikka spruikers being out in force at the moment.
I suppose we are getting towards the end of the financial year and sales targets do have to be met.
I further suppose that those tax refunds coming in a couple of months time will need to be put to good use as well. Might as well get the saliva flowing early.

Im not sure if you're confusing ALL of the Tikka threads currently up & running as sprooking game come-a-runnin to all tikka's... :unknown:

Im assuming you've read my thread re choosing a stock for a Tikka, & therefor you know its not about some outlandish claims of being a storm troopers blaster that bring deer to my feet.

For what its worth, my choosing Tikka's has originated from price--because im a stooge... :lol:

I have 3 other stainless Tikka T3's that have all been purchased brand new & not one of them have cost me more than $1000...thats why ive purchased them--cheap & practical hunting rifles...infact i got a new 22-250 stainless shipped from interstate & transferred for $880... :D
Hard to pass up given i could still sell it & make a profit... :thumbsup:

My long heavily thought out decision to go another Tikka is for comfort & compatibility...
You see i can set up my new T3X 243 walk-about hunting rifle up to be exactly the same as my 7-08, same scope, eye relief trigger & ergonomics etc...so to replicate this with another walk-about, with the added bonus of magazine compatability makes great economic sense for me....despite the fact they have their flaws...!... :)

Happy to listen to other options if you have practical suggestions. :)

No top loading is a huge PITA, as is the magazine stop & ejector on short rounds like 204 that prevent loading long & that flick brass out the bloody window instead of into my hand while spotlighting..!!!...ggrrrr :thumbsdown:
:drinks:

Marksman...you nailed it as usual...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2019, 12:29 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Lots of claims, so little evidence...lol

I can say mind doesn't live up to the hype sadly, hope that will change when I get around to reloading for it, not that it's a massive issue as it's only for pigs and they don't require 1/4 groups to get em on the ground. :D

With the only brand of Premium ammo (fed Powershok I think it was) anyway 130gn speer projectile it was good for 1.5" at best and slightly worse for a 3 shot group, again not a big issue for poking pigs in the scrub and so far it's got a 100% success rate so all good I guess but it was a bit disappointing result wise after hearing how fantastic they are and then seeing how fantastic it wasn't :lol:

What I do like about it is it's light to carry around (the only reason I bought it) otherwise it would have been another Howa without question. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 1:46 pm

I see a lot, a lot of claims about 1/2 Moa results and better on tikkas (and similar) but ppl can say and do what ever - this is one reason I like to add a photo or two into any threads where I might make accuracy claims showing distance to target and actual results. (Sure - I could have wasted 3-5 bullets by walking up to point blank but seriously lol)

I think some casual shooters get hung up on Moa claims (and I admit - I’m one of them...well Was, I’m working on it with my psychologist) - and sure MOA is a target to aspire too, but not every tikka (or more importantly - owner /set up) will shoot 1/2 Moa...but for some reason, a lot of ppl feel the need to sprout their unsubstantiated accuracy claims...true 1/2 Moa at 100 is effectively all bullets touching...it’s far from an easy undertaking and I’ve seen very few real world or pictures on forums showing 1/2 Moa results.

I do like my tikka, not greatly more than any other rifle I own but as MM said - it’s price was at the top of its design for scope of works...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 May 2019, 2:23 pm

My tikka shoots brilliantly.... this was a nice sunny day where I was playing with seating depths

Screenshot_20190503-162249_Range Buddy.jpg
Screenshot_20190503-162249_Range Buddy.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5523 times

Mind you don't look at moa as it was 200m not 200y... so actually 0.23 moa. I got others from the day as well. One 0.9inch at 300m.

Ohh wait it wasn't a tikka but a ruger... :sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 May 2019, 2:50 pm

in all honesty I believe that tikkas are one of the best factory rifles available for the money and out of the box accuracy can to be outstanding
my post above was about the things I have heard or seen not quite right with them
they are put together in a way that in my mind should not work but it does although like all mass produced firearms they have good and bad
the theory behind them is to dampen vibrations using a soft ali recoil lug/tab the soft plastic stock flexing back and forth allowing the action to bite into its ali lug in a consistent manner similar to a rubber bush ect in machinery to dampen or eliminate vibration
it doesn't take long for the ali lug/tab to have a bite in it from shooting but you can get a stainless replacement :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
where they can come to grief is that they have flat sides and when bedded need to be relieved because the sides may not be square to the chamber and could bind when recoiling, the recoil lug/tab needs to be glued into the stock and setup perfectly
some guys get a good one and some others sit back quietly thinking what have they done wrong :unknown:

and SCJ429 I would gladly put my stock factory ruger vt 22-250 up against your tikka out to 400 :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
it's the only new rifle I have ever bought and at 200 it's like I shoot one shot onto the target then shoot another four over the top of the target :drinks:
they do not come like that every day but it would be good if they did :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 May 2019, 3:10 pm

marksman wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:It'll take more than that to convert me away from Remington 700 rifles.

not having a crack at you on one wheel but I have heard a few bad words about tikka's :lol:

eg... cant load long in long rifle cases 30-06, 300wm ect..... one size action fits all, 223 in a long action :lol:
too much plastic, try floating the barrel on one of there plastic stocks, stocks crack when tightened up, recoil pads are sh!t :lol:
plastic trigger guards that will break eventually, front sling stud that will break with a bipod mounted under even .243 recoil :lol:
plastic bolt shroud but you can upgrade, can have problems extracting cases :lol:
magazines fallout, magazines dont hold enough ammo, cant top load the magazine in the action :lol:
factory ring screws strip throwing your new scope onto the ground or if you are lucky you find out when only one screw has and you are shooting shotgun patterns :lol:
tikkas are not made to shoot reloads (explanation from a company rep after being asked why they dont make a longer mag for 300wm) :lol:
like a plumbers gun you buy the rifle then spend up big on tweaks,fixes and upgrades

the tikka is best viewed as a normally accurate rifle, the design is to produce the best possible results based on the cheapest possible platform :thumbsup:

Fair dinkum!

I probably haven't heard that kind of stuff because I've never really been looking due to my one_eyed_sevenhundredness :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2019, 3:53 pm

marksman wrote:
and SCJ429 I would gladly put my stock factory ruger vt 22-250 up against your tikka out to 400 :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
it's the only new rifle I have ever bought and at 200 it's like I shoot one shot onto the target then shoot another four over the top of the target :drinks:

I have heard good things about Ruger barrels which is great for an old Ruger tragic like me. But for Tikkas I have seen the results from a 223, 22/250, 243 and a 6.5 and they are all outstanding. Even the Sako 204 has shot under 0.2 of an inch. A bloke cannot get that lucky and Tikka must be doing something right. I cannot post pics from this iPad but will PM you my number and if you want to respond I will send you some targets shot in competition off a Harris bipod as a friendly rivalry of Tikka vs Ruger.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 25 May 2019, 4:57 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I see a lot, a lot of claims about 1/2 Moa results and better on tikkas (and similar) but ppl can say and do what ever - this is one reason I like to add a photo or two into any threads where I might make accuracy claims showing distance to target and actual results. (Sure - I could have wasted 3-5 bullets by walking up to point blank but seriously lol)

I think some casual shooters get hung up on Moa claims (and I admit - I’m one of them...well Was, I’m working on it with my psychologist) - and sure MOA is a target to aspire too, but not every tikka (or more importantly - owner /set up) will shoot 1/2 Moa...but for some reason, a lot of ppl feel the need to sprout their unsubstantiated accuracy claims...true 1/2 Moa at 100 is effectively all bullets touching...it’s far from an easy undertaking and I’ve seen very few real world or pictures on forums showing 1/2 Moa results.

I do like my tikka, not greatly more than any other rifle I own but as MM said - it’s price was at the top of its design for scope of works...

I hear those claims too Tassie...but i think its all about landing on a good rifle & the right powder/bullet combo, & having vast experience at reloading & knowing when to give up on a particular bullet...
I dont have that knowledge.

But then, here is me trying a new bullet legal for roos recently..
Left target is first 3 shots of day...
I suspect the double group on seconnd target is me & my poor choice of gun rest--a caldwell tackdriver bag at front & a sports sock filled with sand at the rear...
Anyway...

2019-05-25 15.45.09.jpg
20 cal 40gr Vmax tests
2019-05-25 15.45.09.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

Same morning final target...
2019-05-25 10.01.02-1.jpg
5 shots
2019-05-25 10.01.02-1.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

There are 3 different powder charges here--be stuffed if i can tell the difference so i went with the middle one... :unknown:

From there i moved one click left...

Then i put one shot into a 12" gong at 300 to get a picture of drop, then put another into a 4" gong at 300 to comfirm the hold-off for wind & holdover...

Then out in the real destruction permit world with real distances & no bench, it did this...
2019-05-25 15.41.32.jpg
Call this 180 yds...
2019-05-25 15.41.32.jpg (663.03 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

And for the sake of things, lets call this 220 yds/200 mtrs...if you get my drift...
2019-05-25 15.43.36.jpg
2019-05-25 15.43.36.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

This same rifle is what i knock my foxes with using 32 Zmax--not as accurate but still well under 1"--plenty accurate for a fox out to 300ish...

Its stock standard, trigger wound back as light as possible with original spring... :thumbsup:

havnt cleaned it in ages... :cry:

Im very happy... :D ...but its a fukn PITA not being able to top load & only 4 shot mag.. :evil:
:D :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by PaddyT » 25 May 2019, 5:01 pm

ive got two of them and one of the main reasons was the wide range in left handed thats available, Im in the market for a 308 and am considering a bunch of options (even a right handed Lithgow) but they have so far been trouble free and shoot straight, both traits being all I really need.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 6:29 pm

Stix wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I see a lot, a lot of claims about 1/2 Moa results and better on tikkas (and similar) but ppl can say and do what ever - this is one reason I like to add a photo or two into any threads where I might make accuracy claims showing distance to target and actual results. (Sure - I could have wasted 3-5 bullets by walking up to point blank but seriously lol)

I hear those claims too Tassie...but i think its all about landing on a good rifle & the right powder/bullet combo, & having vast experience at reloading & knowing when to give up on a particular bullet...
I dont have that knowledge.

But then, here is me trying a new bullet legal for roos recently..
Left target is first 3 shots of day...
I suspect the double group on seconnd target is me & my poor choice of gun rest--a caldwell tackdriver bag at front & a sports sock filled with sand at the rear...
Anyway...

2019-05-25 15.45.09.jpg

Same morning final target...
2019-05-25 10.01.02-1.jpg

There are 3 different powder charges here--be stuffed if i can tell the difference so i went with the middle one... :unknown:

From there i moved one click left...

Then i put one shot into a 12" gong at 300 to get a picture of drop, then put another into a 4" gong at 300 to comfirm the hold-off for wind & holdover...

Then out in the real destruction permit world with real distances & no bench, it did this...
2019-05-25 15.41.32.jpg

And for the sake of things, lets call this 220 yds/200 mtrs...if you get my drift...
2019-05-25 15.43.36.jpg

This same rifle is what i knock my foxes with using 32 Zmax--not as accurate but still well under 1"--plenty accurate for a fox out to 300ish...

Its stock standard, trigger wound back as light as possible with original spring... :thumbsup:

havnt cleaned it in ages... :cry:

Im very happy... :D ...but its a fukn PITA not being able to top load & only 4 shot mag.. :evil:
:D :drinks:

Some nice shootin there tex!!
I’m sure you realise I’d not categorise you as a casual shooter lol.

But one thing I’m confused with is this - can’t top load. I’ve heard others comment on this as well but I can top load my tikka without any issue, even the overlong 260’s I’ve screwed up I can top load...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 25 May 2019, 7:03 pm

Top load...as in load the mag...

I think you're confusing dropping one in the ejection port, with loading up the mag... :thumbsup:

With Sako (& some other brands), you dont need to remove the mag to top it up...its fantastic when spotlighting.

With the tikka, if i shoot off 3 shots, i need to remove the mag to fill it again...painful if having to do it while dark & bouncing over paddocks & holding a rifle .. :thumbsdown:

And thanks, but i consider myself a casual shooter due to the fact i only use "wobble dies" & i dont have the refined skills to read targets like the experts here...for example--i have no idea why those flyers hsppen in them targets above--but i can assure you those particular flyers are not me..!...something to do with the ammo... :unknown:

And a roo's head out to 200yds is a really big target, particularly when you're used to head shootin bunnies...
I dropped heaps of roos with shots to the nogg'n even while jerking the trigger & executing poor shots out to 200 cos they are so big...would have missed heaps if they were bunnies heads...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 8:47 pm

From what I’ve seen of your targets and acquisitions, makes you well above average or casual in my book. I’m not giving you the finger at 500 lol

On the few times I’ve been to the range I probably watch and listen and read more than I shoot and I’ve noticed three distinct types that stand out amongst casual joes.
1st group, shoot at 100m spraying shots everywhere - RE tighten the scope, send down another 40 zero shots, then shoot groups again, declare the rifle a failure and go home in a huff.

2nd group, shoot at 100m, spray bullets in 6 inch groups and then declare, “well the rifles a Moa shooter... so it must be me / ammo / scope...but never really know - but because the rifle is advertised as Moa capable, well - it will be then and they probably never will really know.
The 3rd group (cmon, bet ppl have seen this ?) - slowly tighten up their groups, might get a couple touching now and again but the 3rd shot might be off by a good margin...but - they’ll measure the two and ignore the 3rd and then tell their shooting friends they are shooting 3 shot Moa groups...

What I don’t get, is the bulls**t.
There’s nothing wrong with saying i can’t get this thing shooting - or I can’t get Moa out of my current setup or I’m having a s**t day...what ever. We all mean to try and improve to a degree ? Well be honest and ask for some friendly help or advice - I honestly don’t get it.

Thanks for clarifying top loading...yes, I thought you meant single loads in ejector port - clearly not. What goes up, doesn’t necessarily go down in regards to a tikka mag then.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 25 May 2019, 9:39 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
marksman wrote:

I have heard good things about Ruger barrels which is great for an old Ruger tragic like me. But for Tikkas I have seen the results from a 223, 22/250, 243 and a 6.5 and they are all outstanding. Even the Sako 204 has shot under 0.2 of an inch. A bloke cannot get that lucky and Tikka must be doing something right. I cannot post pics from this iPad but will PM you my number and if you want to respond I will send you some targets shot in competition off a Harris bipod as a friendly rivalry of Tikka vs Ruger.

thanks for the offer SCJ429
its really not necessary I agree with you that the tikkas are doing something right :thumbsup:
although the way it's done goes against everything I have learnt about accurate rifles
as I said out of the box accuracy can be outstanding but it's not a certainty :unknown:
all makes of rifle have good and bad, they all do better with tweaking, tikka's included :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2019, 10:34 pm

Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

Another mate bought a Howa varmint in 308, you can see where the button reamer has chattered all the way up the barrel. One hundred rounds of running it in and it still copper fouls badly. You never see this with a Tikka or Sako.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 10:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

Another mate bought a Howa varmint in 308, you can see where the button reamer has chattered all the way up the barrel. One hundred rounds of running it in and it still copper fouls badly. You never see this with a Tikka or Sako.

1/4 Moa grouping - from a stock tikka ? I’ve witnessed some great shooting and between myself, friends, acquaintances, etc have seen maybe 20 tikkas being shot at various times, but I’ve never witnessed a 1/4 Moa grouping from a dead stock rifle...I think I’ve personally only ever seen 1/4’s at the range with specific target rifles. Not saying it can’t or doesn’t happen - just I’ve personally not witnessed it.
1/4 Moa at 100m (6mm) with a .3 caliber in a 5 shot group means better than all bullets touching the exact same spot...that - is down right impressive.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 May 2019, 5:02 am

SCJ429 wrote:Pressure point bedding looks different to what we are use to but no budget rifle builder is properly bedding their actions. People think that an aluminium plate or a couple of pillars means their rifle is bedded. I thought guys were shooting groups at 50 and then posting them as proof of how their Tikkas were accurate at 100 until a mate bought one. That changed my perspective and had to admit that you can shoot 1/4 MOA using that horrible Tupperware stock. I had to get a few myself and find it hard to recommend anything else.

I have a mate who bought 2 New Sakos a few years back with bores that looked like they'd been cut out with a chisel! He was having trouble putting patches through the bores so got out his bore scope and sure enough - tool marks etc - both went back and were replaced. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 26 May 2019, 7:02 am

4E701FE8-F920-4066-B6EC-78E2BE338224.jpeg
4E701FE8-F920-4066-B6EC-78E2BE338224.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4654 times

Here’s a group of 4 that I shot with my Tikka T3x Varmint .223 55gr factory ammo @ 110m.

I was impressed.

This was on my last hunting trip, I set up a table with sand bags front and rear to steady the rifle.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 May 2019, 11:50 am

I have no idea if my Tikka shoots 1/2 or 1/4 moa. I do know it shoots minute of roo and fox vital. My Tikka is a hunting rifle and has all the field accuracy I require. One day, when I can be bothered, I will see what size group it shoots. The Tikka has a smooth action. Has been reliable in the field and meets my needs. I am happy with my purchase. Would I buy another one? Dunno. I will have to wait until I wear out one of my existing rifles. If I had the funds and l had a valid need, I quite like the .223 Anschutz. Or maybe a 30/06, brand to be decided. I am not a brand loyalist. They are all really just consumer products of large companies. As long as the company supports the product and they replace it if you bought a dud is the main thing.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2019, 12:06 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I have no idea if my Tikka shoots 1/2 or 1/4 moa. I do know it shoots minute of roo and fox vital. My Tikka is a hunting rifle and has all the field accuracy I require. One day, when I can be bothered, I will see what size group it shoots. The Tikka has a smooth action. Has been reliable in the field and meets my needs. I am happy with my purchase. Would I buy another one? Dunno. I will have to wait until I wear out one of my existing rifles. If I had the funds and l had a valid need, I quite like the .223 Anschutz. Or maybe a 30/06, brand to be decided. I am not a brand loyalist. They are all really just consumer products of large companies. As long as the company supports the product and they replace it if you bought a dud is the main thing.

How do you sight in for hunting if you don’t know how it shoots?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 May 2019, 9:59 am

I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2019, 10:58 am

Would you feel the same if your rifle shot three inch groups at best?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2019, 11:33 am

Every rifle I've bought I've had to tinker with it to get tight groups the latest was a sako roughtech 7mag it shot 1.5'' @ 100yds at first but it took bugger all to get to shoot well the biggest problem with it is the stock it is too soft it's plastic of sorts and supposed to have a inter molded aluminium frame but when I put the bipod on and set down to shoot the stock pushed up tight under the barrel I have glass bedded it but don't know how long the bedding will stay stuck to the stock I also machined 3/16'' out of the barrel channel yet if you leave it sit on the bipod for 1hr it will slowly push up to touch the barrel so much for aluminium stiffner I intend to keep this rifle and tried to access a timber stock that would bolt straight on without all the trouble of stripping it and sending it away this model only come with a plastic stock anyway sorry to ambush the thread
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2019, 12:34 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I sighted it in to be 1 inch high at 100 metres. The group was about an inch or less with the handloads I use. I periodically recheck the zero. It hits what I aim at. I can’t be arsed mucking about with refining the load to explore if variations in the load tightens or expands the group size. The point I was making was that although I am happy with my Tikka, but I don’t think it is likely to be infinitely superior to other products on the market. It does what I want it to do and that’s good enough for me and the shooting I do. You pays your money and you takes your chances

Like your style. God people f*** about and stress over getting the tiniest groups with hunting rifles...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kumaabear » 27 May 2019, 12:47 pm

Tikkas: Generally seem to shoot really well, have a decent trigger, have a smooth action, have lots of left handed options, plenty of chambering to pick from and the plastic stocked versions are fairly okay value wise. They are basically the Toyota family car of Rifles :thumbsup:

^ This is why they sell lots ^ and I respect that BUT

Tikkas are also: A one size fits all action, too expensive for what you get in timber stocked models, magazine that is too short for playing much with reloads that also cant be top loaded, a Tikka will generally never the "the gun I want" despite perhaps being "all the gun I need"

Because of the negative sides I find them kind of boring, despite them being generally a good product
Tikka for me is like Stanly is for tools nowadays. Generally decent stuff if you need a tool, but not what you actually really want

I personally prefer to save a little extra money and just wait until I can afford something I really want, not just something that will do a job decently enough. Usually not doing this results in me eventually getting what I wanted in the first place when funds appear and spending more overall
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 27 May 2019, 1:04 pm

I will add that personally I want a few nice rifles to keep forever, hunt with and hand down one day.

Not everyone is after that. If someones goal is: I want to go hunting, I don't want to spend much money, I want a new and accurate rifle and I don't like Howa for whatever reason then Tikka makes complete sense
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles