358 winchester experiences

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

358 winchester experiences

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2019, 9:58 am

hey folks, just wanting to know if anyone is using the 358 win at all. looking at rebarreling a winchester model 70 in this "thumper" caliber . it doesn't reach 35 whelen velocities , but the energy transfer abilities of the 358 , and the increased reach and less recoil than a 45-70 marlin are making it a desirable thing for me . reduced loads with 357 mag projectiles are a reloading option as well . and, well, just because :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: 358 winchester experiences

Post by bigpete » 26 May 2019, 12:28 pm

I'm looking at perhaps doing the exact same thing with the exact same gun...mines a featherweight though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2019, 6:08 pm

bigpete wrote:I'm looking at perhaps doing the exact same thing with the exact same gun...mines a featherweight though

iv'e been studying the write up on 358 win and 35 whelen on nathan fosters "terminal ballistic research " website. that and the graphic review of the 35 cal medium bores makes for interesting ideas i like the idea of the 358 in a bolt gun ( i have seen the occasional BLR browning come up for sale ) as opposed to the 45-70 marlin "stoppers" .bit less recoil and a bit more reach and accuracy as well . a lot of old guys reckoned a large bore , heavy projectile at moderate speed would release more energy for quicker kills than high velocity magnums where the velocity itself could make some projectiles less reliable . elmer keith definately subscribed to this belief. i'm gunna set my project rifle up with a 2-7x33 redfield scope . their is a quite reasonable range of projectiles available and brass is easy to make from 308 cases . i'm thinking i'll try the hornady 200 gn spire points for a general purpose round . their cheap and the velocity should still be up around 2500fps . you got any views on this pete ?

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 May 2019, 6:15 pm

I think you and I share pretty similar thoughts!
I've posed the same question on Facebook and one bloke was getting 2600fps using 225gn projectiles and ar2206h....which is exactly the powder and projectile I'm thinking of...
And I'm a firm believer in " there's no replacement for displacement " lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2019, 6:34 pm

from memory pete, you got a rossi 44 mag as well i think ..i um'ed and ahh'ed , ended up with a lovely marlin 357 . sort of wish i went with a 44 ,. but where i hunt is a mix of country side and a lever gun won't have the reach at times .which is why i'm looking at 358 win. 35 whelen would be overkill , and probably not as fun for frequent shooting .if i could get 2600 fps with 225 sierra GK's with 358 i'd probably use those . i'll probably stick with a 22" barrel. i'll drop the barrel/receiver and bolt off at swan barrels and bed and float it all myself when it comes back. probably fit up a descent recoil pad as well. the 70 i'm getting is the 70A, with no floorplate. it's got really nice dark wood and checkering , same grade as a xtr . this will be my third model 70, i just love 'em . easy to tweak reliable, consistant trigger ,good build qaulity on the older ones, and great accuracy out of all mine :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 May 2019, 9:53 pm

no one ever have a blr browning in this caliber ? seen a few of those for sale lately
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 27 May 2019, 11:39 pm

the only person i no that has one likes to shoot pigs with his we call it the pig bore gun i have never had one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 1:48 am

Bigrich, I never owned one or ever saw one but always thought the 358 was interesting. I am a fan of bigger medium bores and economical cases as well. I'd load round noses for a lot of ranges here if I had one, they would setup very nicely I think. I'd prefer it to 45-70 for everything, even buffalo. Not in pure power stakesr but just general usefulness. Its a logical step up the way I see it from smaller lever guns whilst keeping a bit of the economy and diameter. I dont think there is much a decent 358 bullet is not going to put down humanely if you shoot it well. The African hunters used 9,3's and even a couple of 9mm's(which the 358 is) as minimum but effective big game game getters in the day. Keep us informed of your project :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2019, 2:54 am

If I can get the scratch together,I'm going to get Sprinters to rebarrel my 243 into one. Ought to make a lovely fox rifle....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2019, 4:47 am

bigpete wrote:If I can get the scratch together,I'm going to get Sprinters to rebarrel my 243 into one. Ought to make a lovely fox rifle....

Geez mate, how big are the foxes down your way ? :D I’ve found a Smith about 2 hours west of me at Toowoomba who’s keen on the project. A expatriate American who knows and likes the caliber and does work with swan barrels at times. Soon as I pick up my gun I think I’ll run it up to him. Don’t want to get sidetracked with 243, as I know this is a very flat shooting caliber

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2019, 4:56 am

Hey mickb, we’re on the same page as for the usefulness of the 358 win . I’ve already got a 222 and a 6.5x55, so I need ( want ? ) something that’s another step up . 308 won’t do much more than I can do with my 6.5 , and a 45-70 lever is a little range limited for my liking. I had considered 444, but I feel 358 will be more pleasant to shoot. 35 rem was another consideration, but it just doesn’t get enough velocity for my liking. And the ability to shoot spitzers out of a bolt gun is a definite advantage
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2019, 11:33 am

Meh,I don't care for 243...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 2:29 pm

This case would do okay with cast loads as well. Not that its everyones cup of tea but but if you want that eat up to the bullet hole, cheap supply of projectiles until the end of the world type stuff.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bill » 28 May 2019, 3:03 pm

Reloader powder the go to for 358, can easily be loaded beyond factory 35 whelen loads

I load up 180gr TTSX for fast and flat in a BLR takedown.

Heavy 250gr bullets are fun to shot but generate a fair of recoil.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2019, 5:34 pm

Bill wrote:Reloader powder the go to for 358, can easily be loaded beyond factory 35 whelen loads

I load up 180gr TTSX for fast and flat in a BLR takedown.

Heavy 250gr bullets are fun to shot but generate a fair of recoil.

what reloader powder bill ? i use RE22 in my 6.5x55 , damn sight better powder than ar2209 . with 140's a good acurate load at 2810 fps is 46.7 gn, and thanks to nick harvey's manual, i can push 120 nosler bt's at 2950 fps with 49 gn for outstanding one hole groups at 100 yards. ya got any favorite loads ya wanna share bill :unknown: i'm thinking a 200 gn hornady spire point projectile , or 220 sierra GK projectile as a all round load

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2019, 6:17 pm

At a guess I'd suggest re7
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2019, 6:24 pm

bigpete wrote:At a guess I'd suggest re7

thanks pete . i've got a few different reload manuals , but some first hand knowledge on what works saves a lot of time . RE7 ? hmmm, i think that might be a good 222 powder as well :)

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 May 2019, 6:00 am

That's only at a guess mate.
I dunno,if it were me,I'd stick to ar2206h. If that feller was truly getting 2600 with a 220gn projectile out of a 22" barrel with it......well,that's pretty bloody awrsome
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 May 2019, 8:38 am

bigpete wrote:That's only at a guess mate.
I dunno,if it were me,I'd stick to ar2206h. If that feller was truly getting 2600 with a 220gn projectile out of a 22" barrel with it......well,that's pretty bloody awrsome

Yeah I’m keen to find out which powder is getting those sorts of results. I got plenty of reloading books, but getting a tip in the right direction saves time
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 May 2019, 9:20 am

Well,the bloke said he used ar2206h....in a m70 featherweight....but I'd imagine that was a pretty hot load!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 May 2019, 5:28 pm

i might be able to get my hands on some 2206h with a bit of horse trading , although i do have a lot of faith in "reloader" powder . the hard part is being patient while pta's are on their way and gunsmiths do their thing :?

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 May 2019, 6:32 pm

I use ar2206h for nearly everything hey
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia