Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Post by Bridgy » 04 Jun 2019, 11:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How does your Browning shoot?

Was a cool calibre and it was accurate enough, but I moved it on since I already had a 243 that did everything as well as the WSSM, just 200fps slower. I’d have another one though, they do some lovey timber stocks.
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Jakota

i once had a McMillan EDGE fill carbon fibre stock that weighed 800grams. I sourced it from the USA directly from McMillan . But i am sure there are other makers producing similar stocks for the howa. But a word of warning - the lesser weight in the rifle the more recoil will be felt - just physics at work!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 7:50 am

I personally have reviewed and owned quite a few howas,tikkas and brownings.
(total number of rifles i am talking about >30 rifles)

The only howa i did see which didn't shoot was a mini action in 223 which was sorted once a Oryx chassis was fitted and some handmaids prepped for it.
All tikka gave good accuracy - generally speaking.
Brownings the same - apart from one 22-250 which was real fussy but finally gave some good groups with Norma 52 gr factory loads.

With all rifles you will get good ones and ordinary ones.......and if shooting factory ammo its just a matter of finding a load the rifle likes and using that - or bite the bullet and hand-load
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jakotay22 » 05 Jun 2019, 11:23 am

Ok so from reading all this and going back to the store, I still have no clue lol.

I like the price point of the howa and I find the rubbery stock kinda nice...

The tikka t3x fit perfectly in my hands and shouldered nicer.

If I grab a howa I will have more left over for scope etc, but if I grab a tikka I won't have much budget left.

EDIT: I looked at the sauer xt100 and it also felt nice but I don't know much about them. Anyone with experience that can help me out?
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

Ahh the Ford vs Holden debate...I mean howa vs tikka lol

Anyway i think tikka are a very good value rifle but at near on 1.8k the value isn't there anymore. As solar pak said you can hey a howa rings and a scope for same price as tikka. If you get an aftermarket you can still easily do under 2k. Also howa come with 5 shot sub MOA warranty in US, here it's only on the varmint barrels. But still it just shows the rifle should be good.

Yes the silky smooth bolt action is nice.. but the extractor is better on the howa, the trigger is a two stage, honestly I like it, with a spring total cost under 15 bucks you can get it very light for target or benchrest shooting

But be aware any gun you can buy can have issues, I don't have a tikka but heard enough bad things. In howa the stock are crap, also the 223 can pierce primers, so have to go thicker cup primers like cci br4 if handloading.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jun 2019, 11:45 am

Finally, I think most machining processes have gotten well enough that a decently accurate gun can be mass produced quite easily. So tbh it comes down to how much you wanna spend and what you. like the look off.

And finally if someone says brand X is better, Its only cuz they are emotionally invested in that brand, and saying that another brand is better than them will make them look like a fool.

I own ruger, howa and cz rifles.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jakotay22 » 05 Jun 2019, 12:29 pm

Time to take a serious look at a Howa and scope i think!

Probably more reasonably priced for my realistic budget.
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PCHammond » 05 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

What about a La102?
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Jakota
go for a howa stainless sporter barelled action in the Hogue OD green stock in your 270 Win.
For around $500 you can source a good quality scope in 3-98 x 40 or 2.5-10 x 40 or similar.......
Use steel weaver bases and steel rings and go get them!!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jun 2019, 10:06 pm

Ziad wrote:
But be aware any gun you can buy can have issues, I don't have a tikka but heard enough bad things. In howa the stock are crap, also the 223 can pierce primers, so have to go thicker cup primers like cci br4 if handloading.

What was causing your rifle to blow primers?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jun 2019, 9:31 am

Mate with a 68gr proj running cci 400 primers it blew at 24.5gr. I had read before with others having issues. And there solutions seem that either use thick cup like cci br4 (which I have) or I'd it's really bad get a gunsmith to make the fireing pin hole smaller (bolt)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 06 Jun 2019, 12:31 pm

Ziad wrote:Mate with a 68gr proj running cci 400 primers it blew at 24.5gr. I had read before with others having issues. And there solutions seem that either use thick cup like cci br4 (which I have) or I'd it's really bad get a gunsmith to make the fireing pin hole smaller (bolt)

I've had maybe 3 CCI primers go caput out of thousands and only cci, never federal... So I would out it down to cci rather than the gun or load.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jun 2019, 9:31 pm

Hi mate, I've got a T3 I bought before the price went stupid. It's a great rifle out of the box and shoots eat better than me. I also have a coupe of Howas. I love them. They aren't as accurate as my tikka bit they are solid and are my beat around rifles. They haven't let me down and shoot under MOA all day if that is your worry.

I also shot a Sauer s100 for the first time on the weekend. Where I live, this rifle is about $400 more then the Howa. It has a great trigger, light and the stock feels good. It is about the same price point as the Tikka used to be. I don't think you would go wrong at all with one of these. In fact, you won't go wrong with any of these rifles.

Let us know how you go.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Jun 2019, 10:22 pm

Jakotay22 wrote:Ok so from reading all this and going back to the store, I still have no clue lol.

I like the price point of the howa and I find the rubbery stock kinda nice...

The tikka t3x fit perfectly in my hands and shouldered nicer.

If I grab a howa I will have more left over for scope etc, but if I grab a tikka I won't have much budget left.

EDIT: I looked at the sauer xt100 and it also felt nice but I don't know much about them. Anyone with experience that can help me out?

I recently lent my 30-06 sauer xt100 to a (66 years old) mate - because he owns nothing but Tikkas and Sakos. He owns 5 tikkas...I gave him my sauer so he could see that there are other rifles out there and I told him he should be able to shoot Moa with the sauer if he was any good...he then sent me these photos...

Truth is, unless your really unlucky, you will be able to work at making your rifle shoot no matter what you choose...there is hardly a dud in this day and age and if they are out there, forums pick up / run with it pretty quickly. Choose one, stick with it and work on it’s and your ability.
Attachments
886B6046-13AB-491F-9599-7D4FFC1ACDB0.jpeg
886B6046-13AB-491F-9599-7D4FFC1ACDB0.jpeg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
36D8B827-E3BC-4B7C-827E-B80B30907EEB.jpeg
36D8B827-E3BC-4B7C-827E-B80B30907EEB.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 3165 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 12 Jun 2019, 9:58 am

Howa offers out standing value and also the cheapest to mod the trigger with kits off eBay only $22.

I have 2 x Howa minis that shoot 5 shot moa quite easily, same with a 223 HB mini that I sold to a mate

Budget tikka come with a 3 shot Moa capability and generally shoot well.

Aprt from owning Browning BLRs I couldn't comment on there accuracy
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2019, 1:22 pm

I was reading the other day about the Sauer in 223 having a lot of feed issues (not sure what model now) so something to keep in mind I guess if you are looking at Sauer and in particular 223 (I think the other cals are fine).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2019, 1:26 pm

I like my Howa's they just plain shoot, way better out of the box than my Tikka put it that way, my Tikka is lighter (hunter v Howa HB) so no surprises there. I was surprised how poorly the Tikka shot with the chosen ammo (130gn Premium) not that it really worries me too much as it's only for poking pigs and deer and it's good enough for that job at the ranges we generally encounter them at.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2019, 2:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I like my Howa's they just plain shoot, way better out of the box than my Tikka put it that way, my Tikka is lighter (hunter v Howa HB) so no surprises there. I was surprised how poorly the Tikka shot with the chosen ammo (130gn Premium) not that it really worries me too much as it's only for poking pigs and deer and it's good enough for that job at the ranges we generally encounter them at.

You need to pack up that tikka, send it to me and I’ll sort it and then send it back. It’s not the norm what your encountering... know it’s there and not shooting right...it would drive me crazy...bloody OCD lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 5:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I like my Howa's they just plain shoot, way better out of the box than my Tikka put it that way, my Tikka is lighter (hunter v Howa HB) so no surprises there. I was surprised how poorly the Tikka shot with the chosen ammo (130gn Premium) not that it really worries me too much as it's only for poking pigs and deer and it's good enough for that job at the ranges we generally encounter them at.

You need to pack up that tikka, send it to me and I’ll sort it and then send it back. It’s not the norm what your encountering... know it’s there and not shooting right...it would drive me crazy...bloody OCD lol

Hey Taz, I'm sure it won't take much to make it shoot better, I've only really tried the one brand of ammo so far and only in 130gn so it's far from being a dud as such, but it was pretty bloody ordinary considering the rants on how great they are out of the box etc, it's been the worst by far out of the box rifle I own! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by flutch » 13 Jun 2019, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Hey Taz, I'm sure it won't take much to make it shoot better, I've only really tried the one brand of ammo so far and only in 130gn so it's far from being a dud as such, but it was pretty bloody ordinary considering the rants on how great they are out of the box etc, it's been the worst by far out of the box rifle I own! :drinks:

Every single firearm store I have been to has told me explicitly that Tikka rifles are notoriously fussy with ammo, so enjoy throwing lead down range till you find something that works or, reload and ladder test, either way
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 13 Jun 2019, 6:41 pm

A far bit of the Tikka accuracy claims dribble down from the handloaders and more expensive models, there is a reason the budget T3s only came with a 3 shot Moa claim.....

If you want budget 5 shot Moa sub 1k rifle then a Howa or Mauser M18 is a better bet
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jun 2019, 6:55 pm

I think the light ones get warm hence the 3 shot moa. A couple of my friends have tikka, the rifles are very good shooters. I have a couple howas and they are pretty decent as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:32 pm

flutch wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Every single firearm store I have been to has told me explicitly that Tikka rifles are notoriously fussy with ammo, so enjoy throwing lead down range till you find something that works or, reload and ladder test, either way

Yeah I’ve got all the gear to reload for it - I’ll get around to sorting it out one day I guess. It’s accurate enough for pigs and deer so useable was just a bit shocked how ordinary it was compared to my howa which cost 1/3 the price and well and truly out shoot it
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:35 pm

Bill wrote:A far bit of the Tikka accuracy claims dribble down from the handloaders and more expensive models, there is a reason the budget T3s only came with a 3 shot Moa claim.....

If you want budget 5 shot Moa sub 1k rifle then a Howa or Mauser M18 is a better bet

Yeah she’s only a fluted sporter barrel so onlybinterested in shooting 3 shot groups but more interested in 1 shot from a cold barrel being on the money more.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles