Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Post by Jakotay22 » 04 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

I'm looking into buying my first centrefire hunting rifle and after using a mate's heavy Remington 700 police, I think I would rather keep the weight down.
I have watched heaps of videos and read reviews, as well as held all of them in store but I can't make a decision. I am aware that the Howa is a little heavier but I still like the feel of them with the Hogue stock (and the price).

Basically, I would just like to hear of any pros and cons you guys might have. At this point in time I am considering 270W and I would prefer stainless barrel.

Thanks!
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Post by solarpak » 04 Jun 2019, 9:18 am

I have had the pleasure of owning and using all three rifles you mentioned . The Howa and tikka t3x are superb rifles in that you can also choose from a huge range of aftermarket accessories. But the browning is a very nice rifle too - and i do like the way that they glass bed their actions to the stocks.

For the coin, the howa with the hogue stock is excellent!! The hogue stock is much lamented but it has aluminium pillars and the barrel free floats - and offers a great stock that will stand up to a lot of abuse! I like the internal magazine arrangement that the howas come with (with the floor plate ) . They are superbly made rifles ! If you ever want to change the stock its easy to do - with lots of options available.

The Tikka T3x is another excellent rifle but a little more expensive than the howa- and the browning x bolt is in the same price point as the tikka (roughly speaking). Both these rifles are superbly finished and you cant go wring with either one . My personal preference would be the Tikka in a Hunter Stainless model or the Browning in the Stainless Synthetic model.

But my ranking - 1- howa (priced right) 2- Tikka T3x, 3- Browning X bolt

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jakotay22 » 04 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

Awesome response mate!
Would you happen to know whether you can get an aftermarket Howa stock that would reduce weight at all?

Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jun 2019, 9:43 am

I would avoid the Browning, not a good track record of accuracy and difficult to sort out its issues.

Factory bedding is cheap and ineffective, get them bedded properly as a matter of course.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 04 Jun 2019, 11:03 am

One design plus to the Howa that I really like over the Tikka is that the action at the top is nice and open so its easy to clear any issues / clean and see whats going on if its not liking something, and it also gives you have the ability to top load the magazine.

They also have a more traditionally designed receiver in general with how the recoil lug is set up which appeals to me, in my head this would make them easier to bed if you wanted to (I could be wrong about this)

It gets kind of annoying dropping an internal magazine at a bench or in the field to reload it.

Not a huge deal I guess for most hunting especially with what you would likely be using a 270W for as usually you will only get 1-2 shots off, but still kind of irritating to me.

Also the added risk of dropping the magazine and getting crap in it or damaging it when you have cold hands.

I struggle to justify the cost of a Tikka over the Howa
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 12:44 pm

Before you pull the trigger - omg I am funny - if you haven’t already, have a look at the sauer xt100.

I went on quite a journey finding the lightest rifle I could, with good trigger and shoots exceptionally well, to end up with a sauer.
I own a tikka and various others - it’s worth a look.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jakotay22 » 04 Jun 2019, 4:13 pm

Helpful responses!
I might go have a better look at the Howas. I am hearing a lot of good stuff about them. Possibly an XT100 as well. Haven't even considered Sauer at all really.

I like the shapes of some aftermarket howa stocks, thinking into the future.
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by flutch » 04 Jun 2019, 4:21 pm

Why waste your money on the others, the howa 1500s I've got and encountered as well as older howa's from the 70s all shoot like true tac drivers, are solid, sturdy and finished well.. just think of the extra money you have for optics and accessories if you don't blow it all on a Tikka or Browning. Personally neither of those are worth the extra, would be debatable if they were all similar in price but the very fact that you can get into a howa for as cheap as half the cost of a Tikka or Browning it really is a choice of whether you want to buy a gun or a brand name... Literally nothing wrong with howa

P.s. my old man's .270w is a CMC Mountaineer (howa) from 1974, he has put thousands of rounds through it, and he can still cut a 1" chain link at 200m with it, as well as pluck the heads off of birds harassing the Marron dams at that same distance, well worth getting man, couldn't encourage you enough, my 223 is a short action varmint barrel and it's only pillar bedded in a Boyd stock and it shoots clover leaf all day.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 4:51 pm

flutch wrote:Why waste your money on the others, the howa 1500s I've got and encountered as well as older howa's from the 70s all shoot like true tac drivers, are solid, sturdy and finished well.. just think of the extra money you have for optics and accessories if you don't blow it all on a Tikka or Browning. Personally neither of those are worth the extra, would be debatable if they were all similar in price but the very fact that you can get into a howa for as cheap as half the cost of a Tikka or Browning it really is a choice of whether you want to buy a gun or a brand name... Literally nothing wrong with howa

P.s. my old man's .270w is a CMC Mountaineer (howa) from 1974, he has put thousands of rounds through it, and he can still cut a 1" chain link at 200m with it, as well as pluck the heads off of birds harassing the Marron dams at that same distance, well worth getting man, couldn't encourage you enough, my 223 is a short action varmint barrel and it's only pillar bedded in a Boyd stock and it shoots clover leaf all day.

Having walked the path only a few months ago of testing / trying a LOT of centrefire rifles....in my opinion, you can actually see and feel the extra $$$ in a tikka over a howa...the bolt floats like it’s on glass, lock up is crisp and very clean, it is a real step up and depending on personal preference worth it - especially at resale time. But at the end of the day, if you want something that just shoots decently when you pull the trigger for the least amount of $$$ and aren’t overly concerned with any guaranteed accuracy type claims, then save some coin and spend it on glass....
Many ppl say that accuracy guarantees aren’t worth crap - however, I recently and very publicly on this forum had Winchester refund a steyr based on poor groupings alone. I don’t know if howa make accuracy claims? I know the owners do lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 04 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Dunno man, know a few tikka's that aren't as you described. Much like you say you find howa's to not be smooth, personally my how's is smooth as glass, crisp and trigger breaks like thin fine crystal... I'd say it's debatable that you're getting any greater value from a Tikka at all.... I do know Tikka owners have a reputation to be rather fanboi with them, but none the less I certainly wouldn't claim that they are superior, the only advantage is they make their own stocks, but considering how nice of a stock you can pair to a howa barreled action that again is a matter of pure opinion. Objectively the howa is better value only mind.... Especially when I can buy two for the price of one Tikka haha
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jun 2019, 6:44 pm

I must be a Tikka fanboy then, but an objective one.

Interesting that Howa owner can let everyone know how well their rifle performs without getting called a fanboy.

In my opinion Sako make the best factory barrels for their rifles and Tikka. Ruger seemed to have picked up there act in regards to barrel making.

The Tikka trigger is great and with a simple Spring swap can be as light as you could want a hunting trigger to be. It is significantly better than the Howa standard trigger.

Is the Howa good value for money, sure it is cheap and you should be able to get them to shoot well without too much effort. For me I am comfortable spend a little more for a rifle from Finland and enjoy the benefits from that Sako barrel.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

I’ve never personally (as in when I’ve been present) seen a howa shoot anywhere near what owners have claimed - but, It’s been well established mr Howa, I mean Flutch, that your a special case indeed lol. Clover leafs all day from various ammo is not the norm...
How do we do a pole? - I’ll put your testicles on it, that based on any real world criteria (including value for $), tikka would be voted ahead of a howa 2:1...
All the Howas I’ve shot were ok, but agricultural in action and creepy triggers (marlin/weatherby vanguard types of workhorse comes to mind). I couldn’t comment on consistent accuracy as I was simply trying before buying...but a tikka? they are not close...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 04 Jun 2019, 7:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve never personally (as in when I’ve been present) seen a howa shoot anywhere near what owners have claimed - but, It’s been well established mr Howa, I mean Flutch, that your a special case indeed lol. Clover leafs all day from various ammo is not the norm...
How do we do a pole? - I’ll put your testicles on it, that based on any real world criteria (including value for $), tikka would be voted ahead of a howa 2:1...
All the Howas I’ve shot were ok, but agricultural in action and creepy triggers (marlin/weatherby vanguard types of workhorse comes to mind). I couldn’t comment on consistent accuracy as I was simply trying before buying...but a tikka? they are not close...

Again all subjective, and sure pay twice as much if ya keen on that, and maybe you don't know the right people if you haven't seen them shoot like that, probably more to do with the shooter than the gun, case and point I also know someone with a 223 howa mini action who couldn't hit the sky aiming upwards. As for the triggers mines a grand total of about .3lb with 0 creep and $0 spent on triggers or trigger work... It's all subjective. As for made in Finland, sure whatevs, howa are made in Japan, don't see too many complaints coming from Japanese engineering and QC. Sako are nice but then once you're in that price bracket you could have a custom made and tuned rifle... So meh. I also have a Remington, and don't complain about that, and a Ruger and no complaints there either. Objectively I don't think there is any difference in quality between howa and Tikka, after all Sako employed howa to make their stuff for a fair while there and weatherby still do for the vanguard range which is another well priced and accurate rifle. Again with the action, very subjective, mines smooths as can be... Seems you just haven't seen good howa's, I have seen plenty of ****** tikka's as well as some good ones... But I don't rate the accuracy and build of those good tikka's any higher than my howa, and that's just being purely objective after all had the tikka's been that amazing in comparison I would have bought one.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bridgy » 04 Jun 2019, 8:05 pm

You can buy a Howa and fix the trigger and put a decent scope on it for what a Tikka will cost you nowadays.

Of the three, the Howa is the most budget friendly and I'll forever be envious of your ability to top load your magazine.

I had a Browning (in 243WSSM) and it was alright. s**t stock, s**t magazine, nice action, nice trigger. Horrible weight balance!

Whatever is on the receiving end probably won't know the difference if you do your part.

FWIW, I have 2 Tikkas, picked them up when pricing on them wasn't as silly as it seems to be now.

I reckon buy either one that money allows for and go and put holes in things. You'll be happy either way!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

How does your Browning shoot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jun 2019, 9:15 pm

I have been very fortunate in my rifle selections my first centrefire rifle larger than Hornet was a .222 Ruger lightweight S/S 22 inch needle barrel however it shot super straight and I harvested a lot of Kangaroos on tags with it over the years it now is sitting in the safe with no scope.I took said rifle to the range and the target was at 400 metres.Even with the scope maxed out I was still kicking up dirt at the base of the target,Not real good.I went looking for a target rifle and bought a 7mm Rem Mag Remington Sendero off a contractor I knew and it has been Excellent crisp trigger and seriously accurate smooth bolt no complaints at all.The last centrefire was a Howa in .243 that I was sorting for a buddy but he did not do his bit and I bought it for myself.It has been first class and they do Guarantee Accuracy out the cardboard box it came in and the first 5 shots grouped.The trigger on Howas are adjustable and after market stocks are available.I guess I am lucky to have never had a bad experience with any rifle
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 10:27 pm

Subjective is 100% correct...each to their own and own to their each...what ?...just buy which one you like the best :drinks:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jun 2019, 11:29 pm

I'm a bit like duncan61 I've had many different brands and they've all shot well my last 2 both have had stock issues and they are higher end rifles one stock its clear epoxy peeled off the other is too flimsy or soft everyone asks which rifle is the best well they all have their faults there is no machinery that is perfect or doesn't break down so for any one person to ask that question well then ask yourself which one do I like for the price I am prepared to pay then you will have your answer unless the rifle has a fault with the making of it which is covered by the maker then they all should be shooters I hear a lot of people complaining that their rifles won't shoot some have genuine problems others shoot the wrong weight projectiles for twist rate (a problem I have with my 7mm mag) wrong powders when loading all sorts of things but if you check twist rate and get all the other things right providing there is no problem with machining or making the rifle then with a little tinkering it should shoot, all my sakos come with a less than moa guarantee none shot under 1.5'' with any factory load I tried without tinkering and hand loading and that's the fun of it all getting a non shooter into a shooter I myself have learnt a lot on this forum so I can't see how you'd fail making a shooter out of any brand of rifle if you're not sure just ask there's plenty of people more than willing to help (point is tikka, sako ,rem, savage ,howa, win, all the same in a dark room)
Member-Deleted

Post by Bridgy » 04 Jun 2019, 11:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How does your Browning shoot?

Was a cool calibre and it was accurate enough, but I moved it on since I already had a 243 that did everything as well as the WSSM, just 200fps slower. I’d have another one though, they do some lovey timber stocks.
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Jakota

i once had a McMillan EDGE fill carbon fibre stock that weighed 800grams. I sourced it from the USA directly from McMillan . But i am sure there are other makers producing similar stocks for the howa. But a word of warning - the lesser weight in the rifle the more recoil will be felt - just physics at work!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 7:50 am

I personally have reviewed and owned quite a few howas,tikkas and brownings.
(total number of rifles i am talking about >30 rifles)

The only howa i did see which didn't shoot was a mini action in 223 which was sorted once a Oryx chassis was fitted and some handmaids prepped for it.
All tikka gave good accuracy - generally speaking.
Brownings the same - apart from one 22-250 which was real fussy but finally gave some good groups with Norma 52 gr factory loads.

With all rifles you will get good ones and ordinary ones.......and if shooting factory ammo its just a matter of finding a load the rifle likes and using that - or bite the bullet and hand-load
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jakotay22 » 05 Jun 2019, 11:23 am

Ok so from reading all this and going back to the store, I still have no clue lol.

I like the price point of the howa and I find the rubbery stock kinda nice...

The tikka t3x fit perfectly in my hands and shouldered nicer.

If I grab a howa I will have more left over for scope etc, but if I grab a tikka I won't have much budget left.

EDIT: I looked at the sauer xt100 and it also felt nice but I don't know much about them. Anyone with experience that can help me out?
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

Ahh the Ford vs Holden debate...I mean howa vs tikka lol

Anyway i think tikka are a very good value rifle but at near on 1.8k the value isn't there anymore. As solar pak said you can hey a howa rings and a scope for same price as tikka. If you get an aftermarket you can still easily do under 2k. Also howa come with 5 shot sub MOA warranty in US, here it's only on the varmint barrels. But still it just shows the rifle should be good.

Yes the silky smooth bolt action is nice.. but the extractor is better on the howa, the trigger is a two stage, honestly I like it, with a spring total cost under 15 bucks you can get it very light for target or benchrest shooting

But be aware any gun you can buy can have issues, I don't have a tikka but heard enough bad things. In howa the stock are crap, also the 223 can pierce primers, so have to go thicker cup primers like cci br4 if handloading.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jun 2019, 11:45 am

Finally, I think most machining processes have gotten well enough that a decently accurate gun can be mass produced quite easily. So tbh it comes down to how much you wanna spend and what you. like the look off.

And finally if someone says brand X is better, Its only cuz they are emotionally invested in that brand, and saying that another brand is better than them will make them look like a fool.

I own ruger, howa and cz rifles.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jakotay22 » 05 Jun 2019, 12:29 pm

Time to take a serious look at a Howa and scope i think!

Probably more reasonably priced for my realistic budget.
Jakotay22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PCHammond » 05 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

What about a La102?
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Jakota
go for a howa stainless sporter barelled action in the Hogue OD green stock in your 270 Win.
For around $500 you can source a good quality scope in 3-98 x 40 or 2.5-10 x 40 or similar.......
Use steel weaver bases and steel rings and go get them!!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jun 2019, 10:06 pm

Ziad wrote:
But be aware any gun you can buy can have issues, I don't have a tikka but heard enough bad things. In howa the stock are crap, also the 223 can pierce primers, so have to go thicker cup primers like cci br4 if handloading.

What was causing your rifle to blow primers?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jun 2019, 9:31 am

Mate with a 68gr proj running cci 400 primers it blew at 24.5gr. I had read before with others having issues. And there solutions seem that either use thick cup like cci br4 (which I have) or I'd it's really bad get a gunsmith to make the fireing pin hole smaller (bolt)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles