Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka T3x vs Browning X Bolt (Or Howa 1500...)

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2019, 2:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I like my Howa's they just plain shoot, way better out of the box than my Tikka put it that way, my Tikka is lighter (hunter v Howa HB) so no surprises there. I was surprised how poorly the Tikka shot with the chosen ammo (130gn Premium) not that it really worries me too much as it's only for poking pigs and deer and it's good enough for that job at the ranges we generally encounter them at.

You need to pack up that tikka, send it to me and I’ll sort it and then send it back. It’s not the norm what your encountering... know it’s there and not shooting right...it would drive me crazy...bloody OCD lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 5:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I like my Howa's they just plain shoot, way better out of the box than my Tikka put it that way, my Tikka is lighter (hunter v Howa HB) so no surprises there. I was surprised how poorly the Tikka shot with the chosen ammo (130gn Premium) not that it really worries me too much as it's only for poking pigs and deer and it's good enough for that job at the ranges we generally encounter them at.

You need to pack up that tikka, send it to me and I’ll sort it and then send it back. It’s not the norm what your encountering... know it’s there and not shooting right...it would drive me crazy...bloody OCD lol

Hey Taz, I'm sure it won't take much to make it shoot better, I've only really tried the one brand of ammo so far and only in 130gn so it's far from being a dud as such, but it was pretty bloody ordinary considering the rants on how great they are out of the box etc, it's been the worst by far out of the box rifle I own! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by flutch » 13 Jun 2019, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Hey Taz, I'm sure it won't take much to make it shoot better, I've only really tried the one brand of ammo so far and only in 130gn so it's far from being a dud as such, but it was pretty bloody ordinary considering the rants on how great they are out of the box etc, it's been the worst by far out of the box rifle I own! :drinks:

Every single firearm store I have been to has told me explicitly that Tikka rifles are notoriously fussy with ammo, so enjoy throwing lead down range till you find something that works or, reload and ladder test, either way
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 13 Jun 2019, 6:41 pm

A far bit of the Tikka accuracy claims dribble down from the handloaders and more expensive models, there is a reason the budget T3s only came with a 3 shot Moa claim.....

If you want budget 5 shot Moa sub 1k rifle then a Howa or Mauser M18 is a better bet
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jun 2019, 6:55 pm

I think the light ones get warm hence the 3 shot moa. A couple of my friends have tikka, the rifles are very good shooters. I have a couple howas and they are pretty decent as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:32 pm

flutch wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Every single firearm store I have been to has told me explicitly that Tikka rifles are notoriously fussy with ammo, so enjoy throwing lead down range till you find something that works or, reload and ladder test, either way

Yeah I’ve got all the gear to reload for it - I’ll get around to sorting it out one day I guess. It’s accurate enough for pigs and deer so useable was just a bit shocked how ordinary it was compared to my howa which cost 1/3 the price and well and truly out shoot it
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:35 pm

Bill wrote:A far bit of the Tikka accuracy claims dribble down from the handloaders and more expensive models, there is a reason the budget T3s only came with a 3 shot Moa claim.....

If you want budget 5 shot Moa sub 1k rifle then a Howa or Mauser M18 is a better bet

Yeah she’s only a fluted sporter barrel so onlybinterested in shooting 3 shot groups but more interested in 1 shot from a cold barrel being on the money more.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles