Milsurp buying tips/locations.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Milsurp buying tips/locations.

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jul 2019, 6:09 pm

cracker wrote:
Nomis wrote:Thanks for the info No1. I actually met Roland briefly at the Arms and Militaria show on the weekend. Seems like a nice bloke.
I also grabbed the printed catalogue for the last auction and am checking what the final prices were for some pieces.
I'll be attending the one in October fingers crossed! Seems like the place to get myself an SMLE.

its pretty bloody boring... i placed some bids online last time was easier.

Boring cracker?
Not for me mate, I get to actually fondle $100,000 + guns I will never ever own, or rare things like the 16th Century German executioners axe at the last auction, meet other collectors and make networks of contacts that have yielded amazing pieces for my collection at very good prices over the years but most of all be on the spot when things I hadn't even thought about don't pull bids and I can snap up a bargain such as the last 3 auction pick ups, a Swede m96 for $300, a M1935 Turk Mauser for $165, a Brazilian M1908 Mauser for $200 etc. on top of what I was after to begin with. The new location at the Hungarian Club also has a restaurant that makes great goulash and has educated me about Hungarian beer and palinka! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Nomis » 08 Jul 2019, 9:56 pm

Mate, you had me at sub $300 Mausers and then threw in beer and Hungarian food on top!

As I'm new to this whole thing, I'm a little confused as to why people would sell at this auction if some stuff sells so far below market value. If I was selling a Turkish Mauser, why sell it via auction and risk getting $150 for it when I could put it on Oz Gun Sales for $450?
Am I missing something?

Also, I assume that once you win an item, you just put in a PTA and they hold the firearm until you have the PTA ready?

In other news, my licence has been further delayed as Vic Police managed to put the wrong name on my payment form. I have had to physically mail it back to Melbourne so they can issue another one whenever they get around to it. If they don't lose it. Joy... Pure joy.

Cheers for the advice everyone!
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Jul 2019, 5:01 am

G'day Nomis,
If you are sure of a lot and have a PTA already then you can take it home, or Roly will hold it at the armoury in Moorabbin and you can pick it up from there. You can also arrange to have it sent to a dealer near you, but there are charges for this. Hope those useless sods at LRD get your licence sorted soon ,fingers crossed, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 09 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

Nomis wrote:Mate, you had me at sub $300 Mausers and then threw in beer and Hungarian food on top!

As I'm new to this whole thing, I'm a little confused as to why people would sell at this auction if some stuff sells so far below market value. If I was selling a Turkish Mauser, why sell it via auction and risk getting $150 for it when I could put it on Oz Gun Sales for $450?
Am I missing something?

Also, I assume that once you win an item, you just put in a PTA and they hold the firearm until you have the PTA ready?

In other news, my licence has been further delayed as Vic Police managed to put the wrong name on my payment form. I have had to physically mail it back to Melbourne so they can issue another one whenever they get around to it. If they don't lose it. Joy... Pure joy.

Cheers for the advice everyone!

most stuff gets pretty decent prices, 1911a1 etc arnt cheap.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles