7mm stw build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

7mm stw build

Post by andym79 » 12 Jun 2019, 5:50 pm

Hi guys I am considering do a 7mm STW.

I have two actions available that I could do it on a Ruger 1 or a Howa 1500.

Which action would be more suitable?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: 7mm stw build

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jun 2019, 6:56 pm

Ruger #1 yum.

The Ruger is suitable for most cases and a very stylish way to go hunting. Just get any #1 you can get your hands on a change the cheap as chips extractor to suit your case.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 12 Jun 2019, 7:09 pm

Yere I did see that extractors are cheap and fast follow ups aren't necessary.

Someone said the Ruger wouldn't be strong enough to hotrod the 7mm stw but the Howa would. I found that hard to believe myself, the Howa is a good design, but I thought the Ruger 1 is strong as hell! Am I wrong?

Plus the ruger means I can have a long barrel without too much length.

My only concern with the ruger is if it can be as accurate as the howa with the same barrel?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jun 2019, 7:32 pm

You can get yourself a #1 in 222 and rebarrel it in 460 Weatherby Magnum. The Ruger is stronger than most bolt action rifles, it is incredibly strong.

Although not the most accurate action around, I can get one of mine shooting 0.4 inches at 100 and a 416 only just failed to qualify in shooting under an inch on a farmer assist test. Would think that a STW should be able to shoot 1/2 inch with a decent barrel.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

Did you decide to go with the Ruger #1?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 27 Jun 2019, 1:57 pm

Haven't decided yet probably ruger as am a bit concerned about the length of Howa and how long I can load case. Stw is 10mm longer than 300 win mag
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jun 2019, 6:49 pm

I think that the Ruger is the prettiest option but the Howa is a copy of an older Sako action which was chambered in 375 H&H. I don't think that it lacks in strength.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 27 Jun 2019, 8:50 pm

I wasn't concerned about strength, if it was designed to take a 375 H&H length it should be good, I was worried the magazine of a 300 win mag might be too short to let me load up 7mm STW with long projectiles seated out some way. That is the beauty of the Ruger can take almost any case length don't matter nor does head size within reason, an I can also have a longer barrel without ending up with a rifle that is too long!

The Ruger just lacks the aftermarket stocks really.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles