Winchester XPR 30-06 (the camo one)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Winchester XPR 30-06 (the camo one)

Post by shovtel » 20 Jun 2019, 2:00 pm

My mates just put a deposit down on a new Winchester XPR 30-06. Its the hunter version in camo I think.

I was looking at the specs and it seems to be ok. Some sort of cerkote type covering on it etc...

Only problem is its only got a 3 shot mag.

Has anyone heard of any after market options for a bigger mag?

What are the guns like in general compared to the Savage etc... at similar price points?
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Winchester XPR 30-06 (the camo one)

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jun 2019, 4:10 pm

I had a good look at these in 06 before committing to a sauer....
Was close to buying but Two things on sauer sealed the deal in favour - double row magazine allowed for a couple extra cartridges and the trigger on the XPR was based on M70 which was reported as having a few issues.
The other thing that was nice to look but off putting - a tiny ejection port...which might make top loading difficult with longer hand loads that won’t fit in mag.
But - that all being said - it has reviewed very accurately and is noted as being a light weight carry.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 21 Jun 2019, 6:42 am

Why would you need more than a three shot mag on the -06??

Unlike the tikka and sauer where there are a few aftermarket options the winchester XPR is only limited to the factory magazine.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kumaabear » 21 Jun 2019, 9:22 am

From what I have read and experienced, the only real issue you might have with the Winchester MOA trigger is if you want it lighter than 3lb's.

The one in my model 70 has no perceivable creep, and as close to zero over travel as is possible and still have the trigger break. its crisp as can be.

If the XPR uses the same trigger as the Model 70, the main thing to note is they are set heavy from the factory and setting it to the minimum 3lb requires total removal of the adjustment screw which because people don't read the user manual they do not do and then complain that it wont go as light as Winchester advertise.

Pull the action out of stock, slip a thin small flat screwdriver under the edge of the securing glue (it annoyed me it had glue) over the adjustments and it pops right off. Then removing the weight adjustment screw completely as per the user manual results in a 3lb trigger which feels "right" to me anyway.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles