358 winchester nearly there...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 358 winchester nearly there...

Post by bigrich » 20 Jul 2019, 6:14 pm

how's the 358 going pete ? any more load development or hunting results ? :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Jul 2019, 7:35 am

Nah,not really,although I did work out yesterday how to form 358 brass from 243 which is handy !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Jul 2019, 7:43 pm

bigpete wrote:Nah,not really,although I did work out yesterday how to form 358 brass from 243 which is handy !

did ya have to work it up in a couple of steps ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Jul 2019, 8:41 pm

Yeah. The tapered expander in the Redding 358 die kit doesn't go small enough to start in a 243 case...in steps the lee rgb 308 die kit...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2019, 4:48 am

bigpete wrote:Yeah. The tapered expander in the Redding 358 die kit doesn't go small enough to start in a 243 case...in steps the lee rgb 308 die kit...

Do you anneal after reforming your cases ? What projectile did you use on that deer you nailed and how was the terminal result/ energy transfer on it? Does the 358 put game down as convincingly as a large bore lever gun type round in your opinion?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2019, 6:14 am

No I don't.
200gn bullet factory hollow points.
Too be honest I've shot 2 critters with this gun,1 was a bang flop,the other I stuffed up a bit and it needed a couple. But compared to using my 45/70 double it seems to work a lot better on the game I'm hunting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2019, 11:21 am

bigpete wrote:No I don't.
200gn bullet factory hollow points.
Too be honest I've shot 2 critters with this gun,1 was a bang flop,the other I stuffed up a bit and it needed a couple. But compared to using my 45/70 double it seems to work a lot better on the game I'm hunting

What brand of hp’s are they Pete ? My whole idea for a 358 was to have a hard hitting medium bore with better down range accuracy and energy than a 45-70 type lever gun . Sounds from your results it fits the bill
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2019, 3:02 pm

They're bullet factory hollow points. Not available now
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2019, 6:01 pm

bigpete wrote:They're bullet factory hollow points. Not available now

righto pete . i'm looking at getting back onto my 358 project , as after initial good results with my 243's accuracy , it's starting to do some weird stuff . i suspect the barrel may be a bit sad, every time i clean it i'm pulling out more copper and exposing some pitting . in which case if i'm going to rebarrel , the 358 would be the go . but upon more thought, i'm thinking a early ruger 77 with controled round feed and a mauser action might be a better prospect for a 358 conversion. i'll mull it over some more i guess. not to say push feed winchester's are a bad thing .thought i would pick your brains on your results to get a better prospective cause you've already done it :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2019, 7:18 pm

I'd just do it.
CRF is good on a dangerous game rifle....not really necessary on a 358....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 23 Jul 2019, 4:44 am

bigpete wrote:I'd just do it.
CRF is good on a dangerous game rifle....not really necessary on a 358....

Ya never know Pete, I might come across a wild boar that’s really p!ssed off about the amount of roast pork and gravy rolls ( with crackle :P ) that I eat for smoko. That’d be a good reason for a CRF :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jul 2019, 8:27 am

Honestly I've got both,and I really can't tell the difference with reliability.....and the tapered bolt of the winchester makes for a very slick action....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles